Warhammer 40K Forum

How do I combat IG?
Closed Thread
Old 07 Dec 2005, 07:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire
Default How do I combat IG?

Subject says it all. I've fought this player a few times, and can't pull of a good win. Sure, I can draw, but I want to win. I have:

XV8 Helios
XV8 Firestorm
XV8 Firesurge
12 Fire Warriors
12 Kroot
6 XV15
11 Gun Drones
1 Railhead

I usually use the Firestorm as a Shas'o, 12 Fire Warriors, 12 Kroot, 6 XV15, with 2 Gun Drones, and my legendary Railhead.

My tactics are to out run him, and take pot shots at him, using XV15, XV8 and Hammer Head. My Kroot try to use cover and advance into combat, and my Fire Warriors try to finish the smallest squad of.

He usually uses 70+ infantry, lots of Autocannons and Rocket Launchers, very few (if any) Lascannons, and if he's in the mood for it, a Hellhound. He just keeps advancing, aiming for first my tank, then my suits, and finally my infantry. I just don't have the Firepower to stop all that.

I would like some tactics, good units to use, and what to watch out for, if you can.
Thanks in advance.
Tyrehire

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 07 Dec 2005, 08:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: How do I combat IG?

Don't try to "finish off" his infantry squads...just get them below half strength. Your firewarriors are perfectly capable of killing 6 IG per turn. I would keep the kroot in their cover instead of chasing IG around the board with them. Keep them where they get a save and just shoot. Charge only if the enemy comes within 12". 12 kroot can't handle 70 IG. Actually, I'd try to get more of them, 12 is a bit weak anyway.

I really don't see where the problem is. Your stealth suits should be able to annihilate one IG squad per turn. Your railhead should be able to massacre 4 squads in 6 turns. Your kroot and FW should be able to each cut a squad down to half per turn. The suits (they aren't going to be that useful against IG infantry) should deal with the hellhound, if he brings it, and after that need to focus on knocking squads with 5-6 models left down to 4. And they need to make sub-5 squads that aren't already running run. This should be an easy fight for you. If you kill 51% of each squad, another 25% are likely to run off the board, leaving you facing 3-4 half-strength squads.

So...the doctor recommends:

1. keep the kroot in cover and shoot, unless the IG get within 12".

2. concentrate on knocking squads below half strength (preferably running away)....and then ignore the ones with 3-4 models until the whole army is half strength.

You should get a massacre...if you have the discipline to ignore sub-5 squads.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 07 Dec 2005, 08:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I try to get them under half strenght, but he has some kind of officer, that improves theri leadership, and a medic, which is a pain.

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Old 07 Dec 2005, 12:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

3 hammerheads. fire warrior and kroot firebase. shoot him to bits. do not expose too much of your army to his LOS. dead IG. play smart and you will win (which is my ethos against any army...)

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 07 Dec 2005, 14:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Well, how many points is this? It seems about 1000 to me, but it could be 1500.

Lots of autocannons and missile launchers eh? Well, to combat his ld, try shooting his officers' squad! It is actually a squad like any other, all you need is LOS and a ld test (no test at all with the tank) and you can shoot it. Be sure to kill all of the squad at once though, because if the commander himself survives he's an independent character.

I don't really see how bringing each squad below half would help... as all you'd be killing are the lasguns! He'd still have all of his heavy guns.

I highly reccomend sitting the kroot in a forest or some good cover and letting them shoot at a flank. Make sure his entire army can't see them, or they're dead anyway. Stealths are great; just boost to about 16", then retreat to about 22". doing this turn after turn, and in a way such that it's on a flank (so only the units being shot at stand a chance of firing back) will ensure minimal return fire.

Firewarriors should sit just out of range of all of his lasguns and pour fire into him. Preferably from cover, but the open is ok.

Crisis should find a nice piece of terrain and bombard him from behind it. Better to survive and inflict few casualties than be brazen and die. Give them missile pods to take out that pesky hellhound if he brings it, or a chimera. Missile pods will make short work of it. That should be your focus with the crisis; kill his hellhound and then focus on heavy weapons squads.

Railheads should practice terrain sniping. That is, using terrain such that only a small fraction of the enemy can see it... and that fraction just ate submunition. If the railhead is firing at the same flank that has kroot or stealths on it, it's going to collapse.

So try infiltrating your kroot and stealths on an appropriate flank, and NOT trying to get the kroot into assault, merely to shoot that flank up without fear of retaliation from his middle. Same goes for the stealths; kroot in the piece of terrain, stealths in the open if you can guess 16"-18" well. Follow this up with the hh in the oppposite corner sniping downrange at the same flank, but without fear from the middle, and you've just outflanked his army and can now roll up it with your stealths. You may want to MOUNT your fw's so they can support this push, rather than take abuse from the middle whilst this is happening.

Basically; use terrain and mobility to give him nothing to shoot at that you don't want him to. Engage a portion of his army at a time. Because his only mobility is the hellhound, this should be high on your list; it can easily burn all of the kroot, so you may want to infiltrate them out of LOS for the first turn. After the hellhound is down, move forward with the kroot into sight range of his flank, whilst allowing as few of the middle troops to fire. That should do it. He seems to have no mortars or other forms of indirect fire, so that manuever should work.
Old 07 Dec 2005, 17:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Deadnight, he only has one 'head....and you know my feelings about cramming three of them into 1000 points.

Khal, great post!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 07 Dec 2005, 22:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The Hellhound is hard to get because he makes sure my HH doesn't have LOS, then he will get it straight to the cover, and make sure the Kroot have to stay in the open. Once the Kroot are down, he goes after my Fire Warriors.

We usually play 750-1000 points. And I know you're all telling me to eep out of LOS, but after about turn 3, there are so many of them, it doesn't matter where I go, he can always see me!

He has a Medic in his Command Squad, which is hard to combat against, and if I hit his Command Squad with my Railgun, he takes the hits out of the very closely bunched squads next to him.

Old 07 Dec 2005, 22:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Well, the point is, it's ok for him to see you. Just make sure that he can only see you with the units you have already shot up, or the units that can't hurt you very much. It's also alright if your railhead can't see his tank; just make sure your missile pod crisis can, and that hellhound will be up in smoke.
Old 07 Dec 2005, 23:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

So should I proxy my Firesurge to be a Deathrain?

Old 07 Dec 2005, 23:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to flowerfall

Have a look on the main site they have Tau Tactics here, and how to deal with each army. What to expect and how to overcome it. Imperial Guard can be shot to Oblivion by firewarriors thats my personal experience. They do not want combat either and lemun tanks and all tanks can be counter meassured witha broadside unit. NOooooooooo Problems. Good luck.
Closed Thread