Kroot Warrior

Default How to combat Tyranids

Any advice on how to fight Tyranids?
Old 07 Dec 2005, 07:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire
Default Re: How to combat Tyranids

Bring lots of mounted Fire Warriors, Hammerheads with Railguns (naturally), and Stealth Suits. Kill there Synapse Creatures first, then there fast stuff, then they can't catch you as easily as they would of expected (though with Fleet of Foot they still will!).

Use Fish of Fury to your advantage, and SLOW THEM DOWN! Unless you load up with 6 full squads of Fire Warriors, you can't stop a full Tyranid force easily, and even if you do, it won't be easy. Keep out of their way and take nice little pot shots with your HH(s).

This is mostly theoretical as I've fought very liittle Tyaranids, but it should work.

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 07 Dec 2005, 07:43   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

1) Bring a lot of Fire Warriors.If you can afford it(point-wise),have them mounted in Devilfish.Tyranids don't have that many option to shoot-down vehicles.Specially skimmers..

2)Also,bring at least one Stealth Team.They just rock!!!

3)HAMMERHEADS!!! You really need that submunition and in few cases the solid shot.

These are-from my point of view-some staple options.As a last addition you could have a few Crisis(either Fireknife,Deathrain,Blinding Spear),and have them for a specific purpose.

"Welcome to the Fight Club.."
Old 07 Dec 2005, 08:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

targeting priority is a little off...but the idea is right. Here's the sequence I recommend:

1. Fast stuff. If it's not dead on turn 1, you're dead on turn 2. it's as simple as that. This includes, unfortunately, the winged hive tyrant. Happily, most of the weapons that work well against him are not the sort of weapons you shoot at hordes, so this doesn't hurt targeting priority...much. Only question is what to do with the rail guns. My advice is shoot all the other anti-horde weapons first, such as pulse rifles. Then use the submunition, if needed. If not, then it's ok to fire a solid slug at the WHT. But the horde takes priority! If killing off the turn 2 assault horde causes you to leave a wound or two on the WHT, either retreat an inch or so to prevent him from charging on turn 2...or sacrifice a crisis suit.

2. Synapse creatures. They are important. but killing them on turn 1 often means that the turn 2 assault goes off as planned because you didn't have the firepower to kill it in time.

3. TMCs other than WHTs. They're slow enough to be last, but if they make it to your lines, they'll wipe out anything that can't outrun them.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 07 Dec 2005, 09:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

1) Mount everything up. Tyranids players hate transports.
I am also a Tyranid player. Only real threat to you is a carnifex with a venom cannon. It has 36" range. You have 72" range.
Play keep away.
Besides the fex, Hive Tyrant with a VC is another threat. Usually they don't have a VC because their max would be strength 8. Lictors don't work against skimmers. They rarely scatter where the Nid player wants and he has too few attacks to get a 6 to hit.
Gargoyles, nobody plays theses.
Biovores low chance to penetrate with acid spores.

2) Murder all synapse creatures. Hive Tyrant, Broodlord, Warriors and Zoanathorpes if they have synapse ability.

3) Finish off the big stuff and win.

The mainpoint is to deny them the ability to hurt you. CC vs Skimmers is very hard accomplish. Their range is max 36" excluding biovore which is 48". With everything in skimmies, you'll make them cry.
Old 07 Dec 2005, 14:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Target in this order;

winged hive tyrant
anything that will assault next turn (or move out of the way, if you're mobile, and target something else)
shooty fexes
non-shooty fexes

You can take the abuse from his fexes, but you cannot survive cc. Take out his assault before moving on to his fexes, which you should be able to dodge with ease.
Old 07 Dec 2005, 15:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I have faced 2 Nid armies in my Tau career so here is what I recommend:
1) Kill the Gribblies (the horde things) first. Or at least reduce them to 1/4 of the original unit.
2) Kill the Hive Tyrant. Occasionally he will have Warriors protecting him, but massed Pulse Rifle fire kills them off pretty good.
3) Kill anything that may have ambushed your units.
4) Kill the big things.
5) Be mobile! If you can't stick all your Fire Warriors into Devilfish, split them up into groups of 6 and keep the at least 9 inches away from each other. If you do get assaulted, you want the assaulted unit to die as quickly as possible so you can shoot it next turn.
6) Never take an Ethereal!!! They can be ambushed and killed as soon as 2nd turn... Not a good thing.

Just my 6 cents...

I'm right behind you!

Never look back at what you have done. If you do you might not see the tree in front of you.
Old 07 Dec 2005, 16:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Good replies.

It all comes down to concentrating fire on the targets of most threat at any given time. Unfortunately advice to 'mount up' is not always an option (especially if you have limited funds, time, and/or points), and not suited to every play style.

I only have 1 rule -

1) Shoot what is most dangerous until it is no longer the most dangerous. This generally means kill what can kill you first or fastest.

Winged tyrants are bad, but they (generally) cant kill as many models in one turn as a unit of charging hormagaunts. When they're in your ranks, flying and leaping are almost indistinguishable. Keep in mind danger is not always a measure of what can charge you, it can also apply to a critical synapse creature or a dual twinlinked devourer fex (yikes!)

The priorities the other posters gave you are good. But it really comes down to the one rule for me.
Old 07 Dec 2005, 17:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

leet monkey,

That rule is so general that you could apply it to any army facing any army...it's the biggest "duh" in the universe. Luckmonster was probably looking for something a little less generic than "kill the bad stuff" ;D

I do agree that "mount up" is advice of limited value.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 07 Dec 2005, 19:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to vsurma

1) Mount everything up. Tyranids players hate transports.
I am also a Tyranid player. Only real threat to you is a carnifex with a venom cannon. It has 36" range. You have 72" range. Smiley
Play keep away.

CC nids do indeed, though while your inside your FWs are not doing much. Not sure if you can actually retreat from CC nids, you would have to spend 2 turns inside the falcon. So perhaps you could get 1-2 turn of shooting off, then get in a fish, run for 2 turns and then shoot again for 1-2 turns before the game is over. Thing is if the tyranids get first turn, horms move 6+d6 closer, that makes them within the next turns charge so IF you fire even once you will find yourself in CC (assuming you started 30" from the tyranids) Its hard, fish works aslong as they dont shoot down the fish.

Some nid players like to play all CC but they are not the competetive ones so should not give you any problems. Most 1500pts nid armies I see in tournies run about 2 sniperfexs and a VC tyrant.

As for using your 72" range I would advice against it, 2 burst cannons add alot of power against hordes, if you are not using this power you are wasting the potential of the tank. considering you are paying 170pts on average for a max of 4 hits, 3.33 wounds before cover.......no thanks, use the bursts! or SMS against raveners, only good target for ravs in a tyranid list far as I can tell. Maybe non carapace stealers aswell.

IonCannon is decent against 3+ MC creatures, maybe 35% more effective than the railhead iirc.
Railhead takes out stealers like no other.

If the tyranid player has no fexs with Barbed stranglers then you should NOT be moving those skimmers more than 6" as he can only glance with VCs.

Besides the fex, Hive Tyrant with a VC is another threat. Usually they don't have a VC because their max would be strength 8.

Which taking into account its bs4 and 3 shots instead of 2 makes it the tyranids best antitank gun against AV10-13.
Your hammers should fear a tyrants VC just as much as a fexs, more so if you are showing side armour or are a devilfish.

I would suggest the shooting order should not so be kill the most dangerous things first, but those which your guns can pierce through.

shooting winged tyrant is all well and good but wasting alot of pulse on them would be pointless if he has 2-3 ravs just beihnd him that will equally easily destroy your infantry.

Things that are fast yet easy to kill would be target numb 1.

Raveners
winged warriors
scuttling stealers
Winged tyrant
Horms/gargs

That said there are other threats to a tau army, a CC army is one most people are used to fighting, just wait untill you run into a shooty nid army, not only will it have the power to silence your Railheads (or it can just ignore them as they are pitifully weak tbh) it can also outshoot the tau army (its wrong I know but that's life.

If the tyranid player comes at you with guns he will likely also come at you with a psychic choir. 3-5 Zoans/tyrants with psychic scream. If you do not take out the screams before they get to you (wont take long wtih 24" effective range) then your screwed. tau ld is not great to begin with, once you start feeling the effects of -3-7 ld well.... it aint nice for any non fearless army. Tau's choice to start closer to the table edge tends to make it even worse.

Full sized pathfinder squads using markerlights and asmany seeker missiles as you can fit should take out some MCs nicely.
Fireknives should take out the zoans asap.

You notice that when you give your opponant a rules advantage, they never ask you to show you THAT rule in your codex.
Closed Thread