Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] When All Else Fails...
Closed Thread
Old 06 Dec 2005, 04:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default [BatRep] When All Else Fails...

This is the 3rd assault in an ongoing node based campaign. The armies on my team are Tau, Imperial Guard, and Eldar. Our opponents are Deathwing, Black Templars, and Necrons. I took the initiative and assaulted a heavily fortified Black Templars position.

... Try and Try Again.
Shas'o Au'taal Or'es'ro surveys the Templar's position via the viewfinders of his pathfinders. Shas'ui Run'al has been invaluable in the earlier campaigns against the dreaded Deathwings, and he hopes they will once again guide the Tau'va's weapons well. O'or'es Marks well the main targets in the Black ones forces, most notably the Land Raider Crusader and the Grey Knight Terminators.
"Shas'o, the Ethereals smile upon the battle! Let us begin!"
Still pondering the odd Gue'la and their almost insane devotion to a dead being, O'or'es turns to his brother, "Fight well Eldi. If we survive you will get your Trial by Fire."

Tau List:
Shas'o Au'taal Or'es'ro: MP, PR, SG, HW-MT

Shas'vre Au'taal Kunas and his Bonded: 3 Crisis w/ TL-PR and SG

Shas'vre Au'taal Ko'ka and his Bonded: 3 Crisis w/ TL-PR and SG

Shas'ui Au'taal Eldi and his Bonded: 12 Firewarriors

Shas'ui Au'taal B'cha and his Bonded: 12 Firewarriors

Shas'ui Au'taal Run'al and his Bonded: 8 Pathfinders w/ 3 Railrifles and a Devilfish

Shas'ui Au'taal Morish: Hammerhead Gunship

Shas'vre Au'taal Savon and his Bonded: 3 Broadsides w/ MT, and SMS

Black Templar List:
Master and Retinue

Librarian and Retinue

7 Grey Knight Terminators

Dreadnaught w/ TL-Laz Cannons

Tech Priest and 4 Servitors (in Land Raider Crusader)

An 8 man assault squad

5 man Initiate squad with Plasma Cannon

5 man Dev team with a Missile Launcher and Laz Cannon

Predator

The Set-up:
There was a Bunker in the middle of the table bordered by misc hedges. on my right side was a large crash site and on my Left was alot of trees. On his right was a single hill and on his right was some buildings.
I set up my HH on the left side behind some trees with my commander and the Pathfinders,and some Firewarriors in the trees. In the middle was another Firewarrior group with 3 Crisis. On the right I placed my 3 Broadsides and my 3 Crisis.
His deployment saw the Auto Cannon tank on the right with a 5 man squad and the assault squad. The Grey Knights, the other 5 man squad and the LRC took the middle. The rest was deployed in a large chunk on the left.

The Game:
Turn 1:
All the BTs move up and shoot resulting in one Firewarrior dieing and I mean EVERY one shot...
The HH misses as do the BS Railguns, but their SMS kills 3 Marines from the assault squad. Firewarriors shoot and kill the retinue off the Master and wound him once.

Turn 2:
All the BTs fire and one more Firewarrior dies on the middle squad...
HH misses and BS kill 4 marines off the assault squad with help from the 2 Crisis groups. Pathfinders finally kill 2 Marines in the 5 man squad with the Plasma Cannon.

Turn 3:
The Grey Knights finally get lucky and kill 4 Firewarriors from the center with a psy power and the 3 more with a Psy cannon... They pass morale and stay. The Plasma Cannon kills 3 Firewarriors from the left squad... They also stand firm.
The HH whiffs again! BS kill remaining assault guy. The Crisis kill all but one marine of the right 5 man squad. Pathfinders kill one more guy.

Turn 4:
The Middle Squad is destroyed to a man by the Grey Knights, thus far untouched (but not for long!). Left squad is reduced to 3 guys by the Master and a Plasma Cannon. One BS is killed by a lucky Laz shot.
HH finally hits and kills the LRC and takes 1 marine, the entire Librarian's Retinue and 2 servitors (rolls a 6 for penetration then another 6 for the explosion range, GO MARKERLIGHTS!). BS also get lucky and do the same for the Auto Cannon Tank... but no one is around to get fried.

Turn 5:
The Plasma Cannon strikes again and decimates the left squad, with the help of the Librarian and Master. Grey Knights attempt to assault the Crisis and fail by 1 inch.
HH kills the Dreadnaught and one Grey Knight. BS kills the rest of the Right side. The 6 Crisis move into Rapid fire range and kill 4 Terminators and wounds the other 2. Apparently one was a special character he didn't tell me about and the other was a captain.

Turn 6:
The BTs fire at stuff without effect...
HH kills the rest of the remaining 2 Servitors and Shas'o Or'es'ro kills the Tech Priest. The Pathfinders kill the rest of the Plasma Cannon squad. The Crisis again move in to kill the Grey Knights and finish the job.

Tau losses:
24 Firewarriors and 1 Broadside

BT Loses:
All but the Librarian (We have a prisoner!)

End Game:
Shas'o Or'es'ro frantically searches the rubble for Eldi. He soon finds his brother's broken body buried beneath a large chunk of what used to be a temple. He sits for what seems to be hours mourning his brother's death, Eldi's body cradled in his arms.
"Do you miss him already?"
Or'es'ro spins around at the voice. Standing uncomfortably close is the captured librarian and his 2 guards. "Yes I do," Or'es'ro spits, "But what do you know about loss? Your brothers are vat grown monstrosities and have no connection to each other."
The librarian takes a step closer, "We are connected in more ways than you would understand Shas'o. What if I knew a way you could bring him back... and what would you say if I knew where it is?"
Shas'o Or'es'ro slowly stands, "I would say I can make you a deal..."

I'm right behind you!

Never look back at what you have done. If you do you might not see the tree in front of you.
Old 06 Dec 2005, 05:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: [Battle Report] When All Else Fails...

Hmmm...congratulations. A few comments:

A broadside being killed by a lascannon is not a "lucky shot"...unless it's the only time the BS was ever shot at...even then, it was a 50/50 shot.

Markerlights, while I love them, do not affect penetration and damage rolls.

The autocannon vehicle was probably a predator...did it have weapons on the sides, too?

Your enemy should have put the terminators inside the crusader...they would have been in assault on turn 2, to your detriment.

Analyzing your enemy's list, I come to the following conclusion (which isn't obvious from the way you listed it:

2 HQ units (duh)

The termies, dreadnaught, and techpriest are elites, and the LRC is a dedicated transport (not a heavy)

The plasma squad and the assaultish squad are the troops (not the one with two heavies, this confused me at first, too!)

The laz/missile squad is a devastator squad, and the other heavy support choice is the predator.

Points-wise? Your opponent spent too much on HQ/elites, too little on troops, and nothing on fast attack. Conclusion? Low model count (IMHO, BT is supposed to be a power-armored horde army) killed him, as did being incredibly slow.

What strikes me is that his army seems designed more to fight against his allies than it does against your side. Terminators with power weapons? sounds like a DW-killer to me... Autocannons, lascannons, plasma cannons, and missile launchers? LC/ML, okay, tank hunting. Autocannon? Maybe for devilfish and chimeras? Not the best choice, though. Plasma Cannon???? That's a ridiculous, and expensive, choice against armies lacking 3+ saves...

Sounds like your opponent has a remarkably poor army list, given who he's facing.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 06 Dec 2005, 06:11   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

may have been a Razorback for one of the 5 man squads
Old 06 Dec 2005, 07:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A razorback with an autocannon? you mean the one with twinlinked plasma guns? Not in 4th edition...

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 06 Dec 2005, 12:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes it had weapons on the sides so I guess it was a Pred. I never really asked what it was because it didn't do much. And it was a lucky Laz shot... It finally hit and wounded. It had a bad track record.
But the Markers gave the HH a 2+ which is what the HH had been rolling up to that point... I sucked the first few rounds.
He put the Crusader behind his lines and the terrain was placed to close together, so instead of going through the terrain he went around... I still don't know why. It took 3 turns for the crusader to get near my lines... the Grey Knights were moving faster than it.
Sorry the BT list is confusing. He showed it to me but I couldn't make heads or tails of it...
I believe he said he tooled it against IG and didn't want to take the time and revise it for Tau.

I'm right behind you!

Never look back at what you have done. If you do you might not see the tree in front of you.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 06:20   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: [BatRep] When All Else Fails...

I might be wrong...but aren't Black Templar armies over 750 points required to have an Emperors Champion?
Old 10 Jan 2009, 06:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: [BatRep] When All Else Fails...

Reviving a three year old thread is never a good idea…
Especially when you have absolutely nothing useful to add to it.

As an aside, this may have been when the Codex: Armageddon rules for the Black Templars were still in common use.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Closed Thread