Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

More elite
Closed Thread
Old 05 Dec 2005, 16:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default More elite

I'm just trying to create mi combat patrol at 500p, but I like to have a good fluff backing my armies, so I was making my list and thinking...
And for some reason I find myself with the idea, somewhat based in the codex, and part on my feelings, that Stealths are more unusual, weird, hitech option than the Crisis.
They are lone wolfs, no included in the battle plans, and loaded with top tech.
In a 500p list I find myself wanting to have just one. That "unique" are they to me. But I can't, they are 3 minimum.

So, well, what do you think?
What should be more limited in a small list, XV8 or XV15?
Old 05 Dec 2005, 18:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: More elite

I think that XV15 are fine in a 500 game: 6 of them cost less than a unit of 3 XV8, but they can't shoot as far as a XV8 fireknife, so it depends on their role in your army.

I think you should choose following your game style:

aggressive = XV15, to infiltrate and take out enemies
strategic = XV8, to keep the distance

The XV8 can be aggressive too, just choose the good weapons >

Hope it helped

Tactica: Black Templars
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=28873.0

Assault cannon for Dreadnought rules!! Here's why:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=17692.0

Make the best of your Crusader Squads. How?
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=18509.0
Old 05 Dec 2005, 20:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

Well I figure crisis suits require more materials and maintenance than stealths thus making them slightly harder to produce. But the actualy stealth troops are probably rarer(more rare, i dunno) than a crisis pilot I'd say. I doubt your oponent would really mind if you only took one stealth though. Ask ahead of time.
Old 05 Dec 2005, 21:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I personally love stealth suits. I say go for it. they're way too good to pass up. In fact take 6 of them if you can afford it(points wise I mean). But that has nothing to do with what they can do on the board i'm just inlove with them. Realistically you should have at least one crisis suit on the board, they can be a lot more flexible in most situations. But think about it, its only 90 points for a squad of stealth suits, and all you would really want to do to them is bond them. So 100 points out of 500? It looks pretty great!
Old 05 Dec 2005, 21:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

The cloak on the stealths help to raise their coolness level for me in fluff and battle.

And ya got to love those burst cannons ;D

Old 05 Dec 2005, 21:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

A full unit of Helios XV-8s is more aggressive than XV-15s, able to rain 3 uber-powerful shots in at close range, and are especially lethal if backed up by Markerlights. But the cool fluff the Stealthsuits have, the nightfight rules, and the ability to pump out 18 S5 shots at 180 points, which is equal to a unit of 18 Fire Warriors except with jetpacks, Infilitrate, and nightfight rules is nothing to laugh at. The XV-15 Stealth Battlesuit is one of our best units too, and my SM friend dreads them because they just won't die, and who doesn't like the fact that you have guys with cloaking devices and miniguns? I think a XV-15 squad in 500 points is a good idea, especially versus hoard armies. Let them feel your wrath! *>

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 05 Dec 2005, 21:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah, I know point wise that I should use them...
And I do like them.
I know I need crisis, heavy long range support is essential, and obviously the patrol leader have to be in one.

The basic story behind my unit is that they are advance group, or what is left, in a small planet that will be colonized. Orks and nids are known to appear there.
My patrol going to be a mixed group, the crisis are going to be "unusual", with weird reparations and add-ons (nothing out off rules, just looks wise), let's say there where initially 10 crisis and now just 3, fixed with parts of the broken ones. They are kind of forgotten there...
One fish, 12 fw, that will go as one or two units... some drones left from other DFs in a new unit...
The mentioned crisis...
...and stealths?

That's my doubt.
Is the kind of troop that should be rare, part because of the tech, part for the training needed. Lone wolfs are not common, and less in a army like Tau.

Anyway, in small tables, 4x4, the cloaking ability of stealths are not as useful as supposed, they die quick, in my experience. One or two do nothing against a stealers unit, they are going to be charged real quick.
But they are cool, I grant you that.
Anyway I know I'll have to but the new ones, love them.
They should be able to carry flamers man! they can sneak behind you and burn you to hell! A heavy flamer.... niceeeee...

thoughts?
Old 06 Dec 2005, 21:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

What a background!!! It's too cool!!

I think Stealths will have an important role in your army: I like thinking at them as lone wolves, but I prefere when they cooperate with the whole army to "guide" the enemy in a trap!!! ;D ;D

Sometimes your opponent ignores them and this gives you precious opportunities to hit where it hurts, sometimes they are the main target of your opponent. When it happens isn't always a problem...

Ok, if they get charged it is a problem, but remember that an enemy that wastes time hunting your Stealths is an enemy who loses time (it's not so easy to catch a unit moving 12'' every turn, with holo protection from shooting, and shooting back.... ;D) and you'll be able to annoy him with long-ranged Crisis and Fire Warriors in the while. >

And if he wants them down at any cost this can be the good occasion lead him in a trap, surround him with your Crisis and finish him or to create the good situation for a FoF (it seems that your army has a good mobility and the Stealths too, so why not?).

Talking about mobility, the drones (and the pinning tests) can help you to block dangerous units while the Stealths move to a better position (or just run away.......)

This is my opinion, tell me what you all think.

Hope it helped.

Tactica: Black Templars
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=28873.0

Assault cannon for Dreadnought rules!! Here's why:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=17692.0

Make the best of your Crusader Squads. How?
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=18509.0
Old 06 Dec 2005, 23:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Me, I love the Xv15's. So yes I will be very baised towards them. The adavnatages have already been mentioned: cloaking, burst cannon, jet pack, armour save. Good stuff. Now I feel for you when you are concerned with getting assaulted. But remmber this, a basic rule for all Tau units ( Only concerning the blue skins) : Stay away from everyone, aviod the close combat, and the stealth suits accomplish this with ease. Look move Six inches, fire and move back. Idealy, get behind something
to break line of sight, spring, fire, run. Hit and run tactics, beautiful stuff. This not only preserves them but also is very annoying, I did this to my good old Bloody angel playing friend, wipe out his sqaud so quickly and effectively. Now I am not saying this is the only tactic, there are so many with the XV15's, this one though should keep you out of close combat. Heck I used this tactic two stealth suits agaist ten marines
in a 2x2 match up ( I know very illegal but he wanted too so badly) It had so much cover and he kept trying to shoot. I just used hit and run and put little blue rimmed hold in power armour.

Isn't much but hope I hope it helps a bit.

"Curses! Just when you've managed to bring the whole world under your evil influence some pathetic little Inquisitor goes whining off to the Adeptus Terra about rouge psykers and daemonic possession. I mean, do I look possessed? Well, do I? DO I???" -Personal log of Lord Varlak, 995.m41
Closed Thread