Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau helmets
Closed Thread
Old 05 Dec 2005, 00:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tau helmets

Why do all the tau helmets have only one view point on the helmets? And what is the other stuff for, ultra-violet???
Thanks in advane this question has been bugging me for a while.

Old 05 Dec 2005, 01:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Tau helmets

Well the eyes mesh 2 flat images into one 3 dimensional one so perhaps the helmet could serve to do that ahead of time and with more precision. The lower lense could be more sensory information or to offer a wider view... I dunno. It just looks cool maybe. Perhaps there is a technical diagram somewhere.

Old 05 Dec 2005, 01:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Well, the helmet must not work at night any better, because tau shoot normally at night. that rules out nightvision. I'd think that at least one of the lenses is so that squad members or members of command can pull up what each fw can see, and make better tactical decisions as a result. That's what the other two are there for, perhaps... although that could be routed directly through the main lense anyway... so no.

Maybe the main lense is for most situations... and the 2 smaller ones for another kind of situation? Like aiming at long distance, and aiming at short distances.
Old 05 Dec 2005, 01:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I think that they helmet lets them see heat, super zoom, and comes free with a vox-caster equivilant.

But game balance...

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 05 Dec 2005, 02:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to wind777

I think the Big one one the top is where there eyes are at. Basically you know how you close one eye to see beter with your other eye. I think thats why theres one hole. The big one also uses a zoom most likly giving firewarrios that exta 6" in the game. The lower one is a black sun filter. But for gaming reasons we dont have this. On all are guys. The last one must be a muli perpos like showing a map or something or showing yoru commander giving you orders or anything like that.
Old 05 Dec 2005, 03:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ahem. You have 250+ posts, so I would think that you might could figure out how to hold down command+shift+Collin (if your on a mac) or at least use the built in spellcheck feature. Its not personal, but please put a bit more thought into your posts. ;D

Other than that, I agree with you on all points.
Old 05 Dec 2005, 04:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

From what I gather, the helmets incorporate HMDs (head mounted displays) - in other words, the lenses at the front are cameras, that project the image onto a screen inside the helmet. The other lenses could be things like range finders, infrared sensors/lights etc. Maybe they have inbuilt zoom functions or something. According to Fire Warrrior, they have HUDs in their helmets, so they have to have some way of overlaying the HUD info onto their normal vision.
Old 05 Dec 2005, 06:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The screen on the inside of the helmet seems like a Tau thing to do. this HUD would provide not only sight but objectives maps commands etc...
the bottom lens is more than likely targetting enhancers and the like. its much easier to build a 3-d picture with more lenses. the squads are probably all linked and the combination would give enough info to provdie vivid 3-D maps and vision. the inside HUD would display it all as well as targets picked up from infrared/nightvision sensors. Their Tau don't forget, and they've probably got the most advanced systems of maping and info gathering of the 40k world. their helmets probably contain better computers than the one your typing on right now. think of a voice activated system with millions of display screen and maps, target locks and aiming adjusters. wind sensors and laser guidance systems. with Tau the sky doesn't even limit them. the list could go on and on.
Old 05 Dec 2005, 07:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Yes.. And their weapons have targetting systems on them too - referring to Fire Warrior (book), their guns superimpose a crosshair on their HUD. I want one of those.
Old 05 Dec 2005, 07:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to wind777

You would not be the first one.
As for 3D. Its mostlike it has 3 for depth percention. People with one eye don't have it well.
Closed Thread