Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] Campaign Kick Off, 400 pts Tau vs Black Templars and Tau vs Tau
Closed Thread
Old 04 Dec 2005, 22:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default [BatRep] Campaign Kick Off, 400 pts Tau vs Black Templars and Tau vs Tau

Alright this report containts two battles actually. I fought twice today both shoving the Tau lines forward in preparation for the larger battles to start. The first stages of the campaign are a bunch of 400 point battles to establish the respective lines of each side. The first battle was against the resident veteran of the place who has built two of the mosts frightfull lists Ive ever seen, Biel Tan Eldar and Veteran IG actually for the last 2 campaigns. For this one he is starting a Black Templars force. The second battle was a "traning" match against a new Tau player. Tau vs Tau... and I messed up, I kept forgetting I wasnt shooting at Space Marines so I was only taking the 3+ damage rolls instead of the 2+ aswell, ah well.

This campaign uses the jungle fight rules found here:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperia...han%2Drules/1/

In short the amount of terrain is greatly increased from the norm of 25-50% that I usually see to easily 70-90%. This map included a single clearing with some ruined walls and a long trail with a clear hill and an area of dangerous terrain. Thats it, all the rest was jungle.

The lists:

Black Templars
10 Crusader Marines, power fist, flamer
10 Assault Marines, power fist, plasma pistol

My Tau, the Or'es Shi cadre:
Irregulars 8 Firewarriors, bonded, shas'ui
-Devilfish APC, multi tracker, targeting array, decoy launchers
Team Alpha 8 Firewarriors, bonded, shas'ui
-Devilfish APC, multi tracker, targeting array, decoy launchers

Believe it or not I can actually fit 2 skimmers in a 400 point game. Both FW squads came in at exactly 100 ponts, both skimmers were also exactly 100. 400 on the nose. The Devilfish just squeezes into the armor requirements for combat patrol.

Second Tau
10 Firewarriors, shas'ui, bonded
10 Firewarriors, shas'ui, bonded
Crisis Battlesuite, team leader, flamer, T/L plasma rifle, HW MT
7 Gun Drones

Battle Number 1, First Encounter

Alright so Deployment put the assault squad on the left, crusader on the right. Both My tanks sat off to the left of the clearing side by side. Black Templars went first.

Turn 1:
Black Templars
Everybody walked up.

Tau
Tanks skimmed to the right into the clearing.

Turn 2:
Black Templars
Everybody walked up.

Tau
Tanks skimmed forward a little.

Turn 3:
Black Templars
Everybody walked forward.

Tau
Skimmed to the left a little.

Turn 4:
Black Templars
Everybody came forward, one Assault Marine crashed and burned.

Tau
Skimmed forward, alpha squad dumped out and killed one crusader, devilfish killed another, other devilfish killed an assault marine.

Turn 5:
Black Templars
Assault marines jumped behind the Devilfish for the Irregulars, 4 marines crashed and burned. They shot it, stunned, assaulted it, destroyed. 2 drones and 2 Firewarriors killed. Crusader squad shot at Alpha Squads Devilfish, nothing happened.

Tau
Alpha squad fell back into the clearing and the devilfish skimmed back with them, everything dumped into the assault squad killing one and the 3 survivors failed their pinning check.

Turn 6:
Black Templars
Crusaders assaulted Team Alpha, killed 4, return attacks killed 1 BT, no base to base contact models, team falls back 11 inches. Crusaders consolidated into the Irregulars

Tau
Devilfish killed 2 assault marines. Shas'ui of Team Alpha killed the last one. Lost 3 members of the Irregulars, they stuck and consolidated in.

End Results:

Tau Loses
9 Firewarriors
2 Drones
1 Devilfish APC

Black Templars Loses
10 Assault Marines
3 Crusader Marines

Minor Victory for the Tau

Battle Number 2, Training Match, Cadre Competition.

Deployment put drones on far right, 2 Firewarrior squads on the left side by side and the crisis suite between the two groups. Both my tanks sat behind the hill.

Turn 1:
Tau Team 1
I skimmed right up behind the hill.

Tau Team 2
He foot slogged forward.

Turn 2:
Tau Team 1
I dumped All the Firewarriors on the hill.

Tau Team 2
More foot slogging forward, a drone crashed and burned.

Turn 3:
Tau Team 1
Tanks skim forward, 3 Drones shot down they break and fall back 18 inches, Crisis Suite killed, a few Firewarriors die.

Tau Team 2
Tries to take some shots at skimmers, doesnt work too well. Drones off the board.

Turn 4:
Tau Team 1
More Firewarriors shot down, the Irregulars re consolidate their possition on the hill.

Tau Team 2
Move forward more trying to shoot skimmers.

Turn 5:
Tau Team 1
More Firewarriors shot down.

Tau Team 2
Manages to stun the Irregulars fish.

Turn 6:
Tau Team 1
Irregulars rush into the jungle. Team Alpha rushes up to their spot. Both teams rapid fire into the larger of the remaining enemy Firewarrior squads, kill all but shas'ui who sticks. Alpha Teams Devilfish kills all but the other teams shas'ui who sticks.

Tau Team 2
First Shas'ui fails last man standing test and runs, other makes it and sticks. Moves forward and kills 1 member from the Irregulars.

Results:

Tau Team 1 Loses
1 Firewarrior

Tau Team 2 Loses
19 Firewarriors
1 Crisis Suite
7 Gun Drones

Victorious Slaughter or Crushing Victory for the Tau... team 1 that is. Not too sure which it was, either Victorious slaughter or very close.

So the end results of the day are 2 more victories for the Or'es Shi and a good strong start to the campaign. The 2 skimmer trick isnt going to work against the Black Templars again, he will have meltas and more plasmas next time. Hmm... Ill have to work on countering that.

Old 04 Dec 2005, 23:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun
Default Re: [BatRep] Campaign Kick Off, 400 pts Tau vs Black Templars and Tau vs Tau

Nice job on the first victory... although the 2nd one was almost inevitable. :P

A 400 point patrol that can counter melta weapons? I made a pretty nice 400 list a while ago...

might I reccomend:

shas'ui fireknife
12 fw's shas'ui, bonded
16 kroot
shas'ui helios

for 400 exactly

Instead of relying upon your devilfishes to avoid assaults, the 16 kroot intercept whatever tries to assault you after it's been whittled down. Both crisis suits have weapons capable of harming vehicles and space marine like targets. the f'ws are static but have nice ld upgrades; if there's not enough terrain for your entire army, they can handle being in the open. A tactic I love to spring in 400 point games;

Let's say that an enemy unit is going to assault you next turn, and is >12" away from your army. Move up and rapid fire it with everything! Few enemies can absorb a helios, fireknife, 24 pulse rifles, and 32 kroot rifles and not turn and flee... or be effectively nuetered. Whatever does make it to assault finds 16 kroot waiting, or the fw's, who then have the kroot counter-charge. It's a very difficult army to dislodge using shooting or assault, basically. That, and it has no vehicles at all, and so will completely surprise your opponent.
Old 05 Dec 2005, 00:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: [BatRep] Campaign Kick Off, 400 pts Tau vs Black Templars and Tau vs Tau

That is a well rounded combat patrol list I admit. Though in jungle fight... well thats a whole different story. You simply dont have the space to relly on shooting. My current findings in jungle fight emphasize mobility over anything else, even firepower comes second to simply being able to traverse the woods effectively. Which is why I fielded 2 skimmers in combat patrol. Otherwise I probably would have gone static and put in a lot of pulse rifles and a few crisis suites to support. Here, well tactics simply have to change for jungle fight.

I think for the meltas I am just going to rely on the protection of the glances only and try to single out one squad at a time. Today the veteran simply refused to do that keeping both units very close together right up to the point when they engaged. Hopefully next time Ill be able to pull them apart and then single one out for quick destruction. 5 str 5 shots from each devilfish at BS 4 isnt bad in combat patrol. This is just my first thought Ill be working on some other ideas.

h this guy I simply have to make the assumption that whatever I do he will be able to counter so I dont just have a plan A, B and C I have one for every letter of the alphabet and even then I start running out so versatility is a must. He is not really a power gamer but he is deffinetly among the best veterans I have ever played, a brutal opponent. Relying on one strength or set of tactics just doesnt work.

Old 05 Dec 2005, 00:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Ah, I totally forgot about jungle fight! :-X

Static kroot and crisis to a certain extent can work.... but not static fw's. You MUST take a mounted squad, if you want them to be useful. Might I suggest that for next game, you have 2 squads of 9 mounted fw's and drop the bonding then? It really didn't seem to help you very much... or at the very least swap bonding for shas'ui.
Old 05 Dec 2005, 01:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yea the bonding did not help much today. But it has come in very useful, even critical in other battles, particularly patrol where in my experience every point counts. Also I do have shas'ui, 8 Firewarriors, bonded and shas'ui comes out to a nice even 100 points.

Kroot are the only unit that can really do static, or really foot slogging in jungle fight for the Tau. With the ability to move unhindered and when stationary to see and shoot through 12" of jungle, thats just plain nice. I would shudder to imagine what a Kroot Mercenary force might do in a jungle fight scenario. Kroot Mercs vs Catachans would be an interesting battle I imagine.

Closed Thread