Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Unit Markings
Closed Thread
Old 04 Dec 2005, 18:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Unit Markings

Hi all

I've pretty much got a good chunk of my Tau army done, and I'm looking to start adding details to some of my units. I noticed the different Unit markings on the Codex cover, as well as on the transfer sheet that comes with the various models.

At first I thought it might indicate a numeric system, i.e: ll' indicates 2nd squad, First Platoon or whatever... but the tau already have a numeric symbol set, and would probably use that to indicate numbers, no?

So my question is. does anyone know if these markings have any specific meanings, or is it a random, do whatever you want type thing? For instance, what does 1 line represent, what does 1 dot represent? Two lines and one dot? 2 Dots and 3 lines? etc etc.

thanks much,

-M
Old 04 Dec 2005, 18:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Unit Markings

I use a marking system similar to that, but each slot (HQ, Troops, Elite, etc.) have a different mark. It works well.

I'm right behind you!

Never look back at what you have done. If you do you might not see the tree in front of you.
Old 04 Dec 2005, 19:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

My motto would be to keep it simple. To tell individual squads apart, I put a small dot of paint on the top of their communication areil on thier helmet. Red would be one squad, blue another, while white still another. It's easy to keep track of squads that way, and most people won't even know how you're doing it.
Old 04 Dec 2005, 19:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Good suggestions, and definitely giving me some ideas. But I'm more interested in the specific meanings of the unit markings that are displayed in the Codex images, and supplied with the Tau transfer sheet, than making up my own system.

thanks,

-M
Old 04 Dec 2005, 21:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaldun
My motto would be to keep it simple.*
i agree...keep it simple. the simplest idea (this is especailly so if you really want a unified looking army) is to paint the strip that goes around the base. not the flock n stuff ON the base, but around it. that works pretty good. as far as squad markings though, i think it really looks good if you individualize with tau writings across the helmet, like in the codex. the colored anteneas are cool, but not a nocitcable detail that will really grab somebodys attention. the hard part is picking a contrasting color that still looks good with the overall scheme.

Edit by RJay: Fixed quote.
Old 04 Dec 2005, 22:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

They have no deep or specific meaning. The complicated ones show how much spare time some GW have on their time.

"Hey, lets fix our cruddy D6 system!"

"No, I want to get this Tau unit marking right..."

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 04 Dec 2005, 22:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mael
Hi all

I've pretty much got a good chunk of my Tau army done, and I'm looking to start adding details to some of my units.* I noticed the different Unit markings on the Codex cover, as well as on the transfer sheet that comes with the various models.

At first I thought it might indicate a numeric system, i.e:* ll' indicates* 2nd squad, First Platoon or whatever... but the tau already have a numeric symbol set, and would probably use that to indicate numbers, no?

So my question is. does anyone know if these markings have any specific meanings, or is it a random, do whatever you want type thing?* For instance, what does 1 line represent, what does 1 dot represent?* Two lines and one dot?* 2 Dots and 3 lines?* etc etc.

thanks much,

-M
To my knowledge the markings are entirely random, and represent absolutely nothing (well that's not true, they represent lines with dots). If you use them then just make sure they are consistent within a squad; I say if because the markings look far better painted on instead, if you have a steady enough hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 04 Dec 2005, 22:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

So basically the Unit Markings displayed in the codex images and on the slide transfers are just random marks?

While not above GW's tendency to do so, it seems a little iffy that they'd go ahead and make a Tau alphabet, and numerical system and then create a bunch of slashes and dots that don't have any sense or order to them.

I'm gonna treat them as Random as RJay suggests, and just keep the markings consistent per squad. Hand painted will have to be the way to go, since I'm using color for the unit markings.

-M
Old 04 Dec 2005, 22:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Yea, well GW's marketing is pretty iffy too...

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 04 Dec 2005, 23:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

the symbols on the transfer sheet represent different septs. Theres a lists at the end of the codex. What I do to seperate my FW squads is I paint them all the same basic paint scheme, then I paint the circle on the shoulder pad a different color for each one. Green for one, purple for another ect
Closed Thread