Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Tau as well
Closed Thread
Old 04 Dec 2005, 12:02   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Starting Tau as well

hey im thinkingof starting tau. ive read the other post and have some other wuestions to ask. like should i get the battle force or a small army which i can use alongside my ulthwe eldar. i was thinking of a space wolves grey, washed blue with black cloth. and also should i wait for the new codex or by the old one so i canuse the rules. ???
Old 04 Dec 2005, 12:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Starting Tau as well

Hey, be sure to read the forum rules etc in the Announcement board!

For starting off, the battleforce is an excellent place to start. Have a read of the two introduction threads listed in the Important topics sticky (the second one first :P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay
[size=12pt]Important Topics[/size]

[size=12pt]Introduction Threads:[/size]

(Click here to Read) :: Mech Tau Army Construction Basics :: [size=7pt]"How do I start Mech Tau?"[/size]
(Click here to Read) :: Starting a Tau Army :: [size=7pt]"What's the best way to start Tau, what do I need?"[/size]

Old 04 Dec 2005, 12:36   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

oops sorry should i lock the post

[size=7pt]Edit by Aunny: No, don't lock the post...because you can't. Heh. [/size]
Old 04 Dec 2005, 16:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hehe...MAce wasn't neccessarily saying you did something wrong, he was just trying to help you out by showing you how not to do wrong....that is, reading the forum rules will put you on the right track. This forum is very closely regulated (trust me, it's a good thing!) when it comes to swearing, flaming, and spelling. Screw up too badly too often, and you don't get to come back. Why you? Look under your avatar...it says how many times you've posted in here, which identified you to him as being new.

And I agree, the battleforce is a good starting point. I didn't get it because I can't stand to have too many unpainted models lying about. I buy a unit at a time, as I go. Also, I had decided not to consider kroot as an option, making the battleforce uneconomical for me. Now, I'm thinking of building one squad of them just for GP (general purposes)...so I'd be very careful about deciding to rule them out before you try them. I may not use them often, but I want a squad of everything just because. Also, when the new codex comes out, it will be possible to field four different species in the same force...which I'd like to experiment with, just for GP.

If you want to wait for the new codex, I'd suggest just buying a squad of firewarriors for now. You have to take at least one squad anyway, so you can't go wrong with a box of them...and it lets you get a head start on painting, while keeping your options open.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 04 Dec 2005, 16:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Just remember, we don't get into CC at all. No upgrades or such could possibly make CC a good idea. We suck at it. Suck, suck, suck.

So stick to shooting straight, and remember, we're the good guys.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 04 Dec 2005, 18:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

At this point you might wanna wait for the new codex. It will be out in just a month or two (or three). Buying the old 'dex right now would be a waste of money IMO unless you want to have it for collectors purposes, or if you want Aun'Shi's rules. He's being cut.

I'm asking for rain checks for christmas gifts so I can get the new stuff when it comes out, but there's plenty to buy right now for a new army. Fire warriors, hammerheads, a few crisis suits (but remember we're getting a new commander sprue) would be good.
Old 04 Dec 2005, 19:59   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

what a commander battlesuit? that would be sweet. im thinking of buying a box of FWs and a crisis battlesuit for a shas'o commander now, so all i would need would be the new codex but now yous aid theres a new commander sprue coming out im definately waiting. its just im very impatient and i REALLY want a tau army.
Old 04 Dec 2005, 20:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yes. Tau are very fun. Especially against orks and IG. Id wait for the new codex, as it is coming out fairly soon. Get the firewarrior box set and while your in the shop look at the basic stats for FWs. It will tie you over for the time being. Then get the new codex when it comes out.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 04 Dec 2005, 23:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Oh, missed that last question..

The new codex is rumoured to come out the start of March 2006, which isn't that long away.. I would suggest borrowing a the current codex, and reading it to familiarise yourself with the rules, background etc. If you're happy with what you see, the battleforce would be an excellent place to start, and it's great value too. Most, if not all the models in the current battleforce will remain the same once the new codex and models come out, the exception being that crisis suits might possibly get an update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
Hehe...MAce wasn't neccessarily saying you did something wrong, he was just trying to help you out by showing you how not to do wrong....that is, reading the forum rules will put you on the right track.
Heh, no I wasn't making sure he knows the forum rules are there, seeing as he's new etc.
Old 05 Dec 2005, 05:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire

You might also want to think about getting a Hammerhead. They're uber good, and they're not getting changed in the new Codex (as far as I know).

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Closed Thread