Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warp theory
Closed Thread
Old 01 Dec 2005, 16:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Warp theory

Am I the only person thinking that the warp storm which shut of Tau from the imperium is also the source of there technology? I know tau arn't psykic, yada yada yada, but still, could a warp storm be the source of there knowledge?
Old 01 Dec 2005, 16:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx
Default Re: Warp theory

And how would a space anomoly influence a races' intelligence and advancement?

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
Old 01 Dec 2005, 16:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Sort of, its likely the thing that caused the ships they found on their moon to have crashed form which they reverse engineered into their own version. Other than that and possibly a few other odd advancements, no, probably not.
Old 01 Dec 2005, 17:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVladimir
Am I the only person thinking that the warp storm which shut of Tau from the imperium is also the source of there technology? I know tau arn't psykic, yada yada yada, but still, could a warp storm be the source of there knowledge?
Well, the best way to think of it, the Tau were isolated from the rest of the universe, for many centuries. After the fall of the Tau and after the Ethereal's presence, the Tau began to prosper. Without any interuptions from other "nosy" races or major problems within themselves, they just began to prosper and become more and more advanced; when compared to the rest of the universe that is.
Old 02 Dec 2005, 00:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666

I agree with Aunny.

i think the reason that the Tau advanced so quickly was because they just dont have all of the internal bickering that other races have. :P
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
Old 02 Dec 2005, 01:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Though some evidence of AdMech planetary sampling likely helped, it could be argued that conflict at a certain level fuels invention. The fiercer the competetion the faster you will see new things pop up. The Aun's choice to head for the stars was certianly a strange one, rather than trying to 'terraform' T'au to make it more habitable. Perhaps the first Earth caste telescopes revealed interesting things on the moon which forced a space program much earlier than would normally be expected.
A wreck on your moon with planet busting weapons on board and co-ordinates set in for your homeworld a mere few million miles away is going to give you a swift kick up the backside if you were expecting a Monolith (though given what 40K's monoliths are like perhaps digging on moons is less than a good idea full stop).
Old 02 Dec 2005, 02:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

That is true but so can competition to excell for the greater good. The better they work the better they serve their ideals. A differant but perhaps no less powerfull drive.

Old 02 Dec 2005, 07:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastyfish
Though some evidence of AdMech planetary sampling likely helped, it could be argued that conflict at a certain level fuels invention.
some of the most amazing inventions made where by the germans in an effort to win world war two. They created weapons so amazing people still base designs on them. They actually design guided missles and sonic weaponry and all with the sole purpose of killing people. nessesity is the mother of all inventions, so being isolated would stunt tau growth. Living in a peaceful society isolated from everyone else would mean they had no need for things like weapons and ships since they didn't fight and couldn't travel. the most advanced countries in our world where the ones that spreadthemselves and explored and traded with others while isolated people stayed in a more primitive form.

Old 02 Dec 2005, 08:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastyfish
Though some evidence of AdMech planetary sampling likely helped, it could be argued that conflict at a certain level fuels invention.
some of the most amazing inventions made where by the germans in an effort to win world war two. They created weapons so amazing people still base designs on them. They actually design guided missles and sonic weaponry and all with the sole purpose of killing people. nessesity is the mother of all inventions, so being isolated would stunt tau growth. Living in a peaceful society isolated from everyone else would mean they had no need for things like weapons and ships since they didn't fight and couldn't travel. the most advanced countries in our world where the ones that spreadthemselves and explored and traded with others while isolated people stayed in a more primitive form.
It's true that they wouldn't need to develope weapons when living in peace... but ships would definitly be built for non-military uses. The Tau have constantly been attacked by Orks, so that would quickly get them into building and designing advanced weaponry using the level of science they already reached in their social life to accelerate the process.

They are probably more evolved in their every-day-life technology than in their military tech, but it is quickly catching up

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 02 Dec 2005, 08:19   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

If it weren't for the Warp Storms that sealed T'au away, the Tau race would have been exterminated by the Adeptus Mechanicus long before they learned how to travel through space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Closed Thread