Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fire Warrior Squads
Closed Thread
Old 30 Nov 2005, 13:17   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Fire Warrior Squads

Whats your opinion on how many firewarriors should be taken in a squad in a hybrid tau force? (most squads in devilfish, others not.)
Old 30 Nov 2005, 13:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: firewarrior squads

Well, I'm experimenting with less than 12 on my FW squads on Sunday so I'll let you know.

But from reading lists on the boards it seems like the rule of thumb for most lists is:

8-10 FWs in Devilfish
10-12 FWs on foot.

Though I've seen a few hybrid lists with 6-man FW squads (I forget who had one)…but those are usually in powerlists for tournaments.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 13:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: firewarrior squads

Yes the generally accepted rule seems to be 8-10 when mounted, 10-12 on foot. Its easier to pack all the Firewarriors out the Devilfish when there are less than 10 and when your relying on stopping power to protect a static position maxing at 12 tends to be a good idea.

Old 30 Nov 2005, 13:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Fire Warrior Squads

For me = 10 period.

8 or 9 dumping out of a DF for FoF will not dish out enough to run off an enemy 16-18 shots, nor will they survive the return fire from the remainder of the target. Tonka wrote an excellent article about the FoF.

Also statistically 10 FW will kill on average the same number of SM as 12.

You asked, you get opinions

Anyway experiment and see what works for you.

Wanax
Old 30 Nov 2005, 16:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius

I dont have too many of them, only 24 atm. However, I've been experimenting breaking one large unit of 12 into 6s. Keeping the exact same amount of FWs in the overall game, I'd have twice as many units. Only playtesting it once, it worked well, because when it came to shooting, for all purposes and intents, it acted the same as a larger unit, but when combat came to the lines (minimalistic), one unit could break off, while the 6 man remained to hold em off, thus loosing only half the normal models, this left me plenty of time to concentrate enough fire to blow a hole through a planet!

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 30 Nov 2005, 16:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

For mechanized, 10 is the max. If we are mounting them in a Devilfish, taking more but small squads gets expensive. However, in a footslogging game, I've preferred to take 5 or 6 man squads, due to the higher flexibility. The morale stuff takes a hit, sure, but it's also far more flexible to put a torniquet on a lost flank. I can still keep two squads together, but seaperate them, if the enemy gets too close.

Now, if we can afford to be on the move, let's make the Devilfish count and move the max troops.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 17:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

I prefer two 10 man squads in my standard 1500 point list, maybe three in 2000 if I feel like it, although I usually add more kroot or some pathfinders if I didn't already have them in 2000.

squads of 10 can make a huge difference in morale from 8; squads of 8 need only lose 2 models for a ld test, while squads of 10 need to lose 3. Not only that, but squads of 10 need to lose 6 to be below half, while 8 needs to lose 5 to be below half. The increase in firepower comes in handy as well. However, squads of 12 carry far too much risk; if you lose the fish, you lose too many points. Those 40 extra points I save in fw's are usually spent very well, and I don't feel as compelled to disembark the fw's unless I need to; I spent fewer points on them, and it's less compelling to USE those points if I don't need to.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 17:24   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I guess i am abit too 2nd edition...when I play I max out the numbers in my squads but not really the wargear...I do love the FW in how they can pretty much start blasting the enemy from first turn...but I always think of psychology when it comes down to tau...they tend to drop like guard ( or they did when I played 2 years ago...I STILL HAVNT GOTTEN A GAME IN BUT IVE BUILT A 1.5k ARMY!!! FRUSTRATION!! ) So I have always gone for the extra trooper or 2...the only units that I really dont run max are stealth units...everythins i max troops...I run 2 squads of fire warriors right now...and with those 2 extra troopers it makes it that much harder to wipe out the unit or do 25% to make test start happening....but thats me...always afraid of testing for leadership.
Old 01 Dec 2005, 03:24   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to FourFIngeredFury

if your not having the squad in a devilfish transport, is there any reason to take a 10 man squad instead of the 12? other than to save the 20 points for something else?

i have a 12 man sqaud in my combat patrol force, might change it up to get more kroot in or something.
"Each must find their own way, if those in our heartland had witnessed the savageries of the void as have we they would know this. The hand of each of the great starfarers is turned against the other, none will join their strength together just to see their ancient enemies prosper. Neither should we."

-Commander Farsight
Old 01 Dec 2005, 10:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i have 2 squads of 12 in df in 1500 pts - i can appreciate peoples arguments about only using 10 but the extra 40 points doesnt really have anywhere to go in my list. Also if i drop my firewarriors out of the transports i want to make sure they do the business and to give me the best chance of them doing a decent job, i want the maximum amount of men.

Also if i need a static fire base, 24 is better. when i go up to 1850 pts i take a unit of pathfinders and load up on seeker missiles, turning my devil fish into veritable gun ships. I want to be able to drop the fw off and let the devil fish do the gunship thing and the fire warriors do the firre warrior thing without them necessarily having to support eachother.
Closed Thread