Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Tau
Closed Thread
Old 29 Nov 2005, 22:19   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to boss rayzak
Default Starting Tau

hi all ive just recently finished my marine army and i was looking for somthing different, i have marines : balanced, orks: assualt of course and i was thinking of getting tau as they are shooty, but is their a point in collecting now with the new codex and models on the way. some opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 22:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: starting tau

i would wait if i where you, spend this time researching about the tau, there is plenty of info on this site. though alot of units are more popular than others and many people swear by a few tactics i would explore every possibility. an example of this is that many people use "Mech Tau" a mobile way of combat and most players that use this play style say that the second style "static" is less likely to win, but its up to you.

though i have to say i am bias toward the less popular tactics, weapons, and units. for example i love the pulse carbine.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 22:35   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well if you are slow to paint like me something that won't change is the basic firewarrior. *So give them a chance and start there if you want to start somewhere. *
~Ace
Old 30 Nov 2005, 02:06   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Starting Tau

Welcome to the Forums and the Greater Good!* *

Tau are a great army to play, especially after playing an fairly straightforward army like Space Marines.* I would go through the Important Topics stickied up top to get a sense of what type of cadre you are interested in fielding, and also have a look at the Army Lists subforum to get a sense of what models go into a successful army.

While our insiders have been very kind regarding info on the new update, we aren't entirely sure yet what all will be changing.* It is unlikely that the core of the army will change appreciably, so it might be a good idea to play a few low-point-value games for a month or so until the new stuff starts to be released.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 02:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I would suggest you get the codex and a couple boxes of Firewarriors. Play some low point games with say 24 Firewarriors as that is the core number for most armies give or take a few. That will get you familiarized a bit with the army and even though a new codex is on the horizen it might be worth getting and keeping the old codex just so you are more on top of the changes and have it for the fluff.

Firewarriors are not likely changing so getting them should not be a problem. Neither are kroot to my knowledge so some of them couldnt hurt either. These two are your core troops and learning to use them will put you in a good place to start when the new dex is released.

Welcome to the Tau!

Old 30 Nov 2005, 11:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

this is evil i never got a greeting and i started about yesterday so lets say 8 hours!! :'( :'( :'( :'(

well moving on i love fire warriors there look like the coolest units and ive read the storys on gamesworkshop.
3 cheers to gw for making the tau 3 cheers for the happles enemy for us to blast and 3 cheers to the greater good
Old 30 Nov 2005, 15:17   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYcrimsonTEARS
i would wait if i where you, spend this time researching about the tau, there is plenty of info on this site. though alot of units are more popular than others and many people swear by a few tactics i would explore every possibility. an example of this is that many people use "Mech Tau" a mobile way of combat and most players that use this play style say that the second style "static" is less likely to win, but its up to you.

though i have to say i am bias toward the less popular tactics, weapons, and units. for example i love the pulse carbine.
i have already researched as much of the tau background as i can find but any other places where i can get some fluff will be nice and dont say the codex im borrowing it off my girlfriends sister.

gamesworkshop set any release dates yet?
Old 30 Nov 2005, 16:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss rayzak
gamesworkshop set any release dates yet?

Feburary thru March for new tau release.
Old 02 Dec 2005, 20:45   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

sorry to start this post up again but does anyone know if they are going to change any of the other models apart from the crisis,stealths and broadsides?
Old 02 Dec 2005, 20:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Also the ethereals, added vespids, piranna, and sky ray to name a few. See the rumors board for more info.