Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The hilarity of overpowered 'nids - defeat by TAU
Closed Thread
Old 29 Nov 2005, 20:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius
Default The hilarity of overpowered 'nids - defeat by TAU

In my gaming club yesterday, my moderate Tau army of 1000pts came up against a younger, much more eccentric players tyranids. He was new, however, so was his elder brother. Having learnt enough of the rule to get by, the younger nid player often slughtered the older brothers necrons.

For some insight, this nid player thouroughly enjoyed maxing out nearly all the units in his tyranid army, heres what I think the list he used was.

HQ: 3 Tyranid Warriors, with biomorphs: toxin sacs (+1S); enhanced senses (+1 BS); extended carapace, and the weapon symbiotes: 1 had a venom cannon, 1 had barbed strangler, the last had a deathspitter, additionally they all had scything talon (unit usage, stay back and live, support last ditch offence) - 123 pts

Elite: 3 Tyranid Warriors, with biomorphs: toxin sacs(+1S); adrenal glands (+1WS); Extended carapace, with weapon symbiotes: scything talons and rending claws. - 96 pts

Troops: 2 x 8 Genestealers, each with toxin sacs, scything talons and acid maw - 432 pts.

Fast Attack: 3 Raveners, 2 sets scything talons and devourerers - 144 pts

Heavy: Crnifex, Biomoprhs: adrenal glands (+1WS) and (+1I); Bnoded exoskelteon (+1T); Tusked (+1A); Reinforced Chitin (+1W); Toxin Sacs (+1S), with weapon symbiotes: Venom Cannon and crushing claws - 189 pts

He made up one or two more points somewhere.

My list, was generally, (rough)

HQ: Cirisis suit, TL plasma, MP, DC with Shield drones
-Bodyguard, TL plasma, MP

Elite: 2 x 1 Crisis, Fusion, MP, DC - Gun drones

Troops: 3 x 8 fire warriors

Heavy Support: Railhead with SMS

Heavy Support: 3 Broadsides

Enough with the boring Bits, heres what it came down to, which I foudn really funny

Without going into turns, before he had reached my lines, heres what had happened:
  • Carnifex took two full turns of railhead and broadside fire before dying, only taking one lone suit.
  • Raveners were killed by the hands of the general and his guard, though fighting got up close and they were charged, one suit died.
  • Elite Warriors, 2 killed by lone suit, before they killed him,the last eliminated by the railhead
  • One full unit of genestalers was wiped out by FW fire, the other made it to my lines at 4 strong, it tore through a full two units before being squished by a missile fire from my braodsides the other side of a wood.
  • The HQ warriors were much more tricky, able to kill the genral's bodyguard, bodyguard died from fire, and even wounded the general. however this reduced them to 1 left, which was riddled with fire from the general.

Thus came a relativley easy end to a tyranid army, my remainders were 8 tau fire warriors, the general remained on 2 wounds, hammerhead was fine as were the broadsides, staying well away from enemy lines. I whooped his butt. Overpowering 'nids never ever works, they simply have fewer numbers which are more easily riddled with fire into oblivion. I lost most of my troops from getting too cocky, next time, that most definately wont happen. The look on hif face when his carnifex died was worth every Tau life sacraficed.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 29 Nov 2005, 20:17   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: The hilarity of overpowered 'nids - defeat by TAU

News of victory from the Teloshi front is always well received. I am glad to hear that Hive Fleet Kraken continues to be repelled. Well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 29 Nov 2005, 20:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to vsurma

Yea, silly nids with too much upgrades, still wait till you run into 150 gaunts in 1000pts

You notice that when you give your opponant a rules advantage, they never ask you to show you THAT rule in your codex.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 20:58   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I have, the nightmares remain to this day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 29 Nov 2005, 21:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Agreed. My friend once ran 198 models in a 1500 point game. :

And I have the pictures to prove it. ;D
Old 29 Nov 2005, 22:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Congratulations on the win, but I should point out t that is about the worst nid build you could make!

2005 record:
SVA: winning Faction
London Conflict: 3rd Place
GT Heat 2: 4th Place
Warfare 2005: tournament winner
Old 29 Nov 2005, 22:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaldun
Agreed. My friend once ran 198 models in a 1500 point game. :

And I have the pictures to prove it. ;D
180 Mutants costs 1080 points in the lost and the damned army list. A HQ, allied world bearers LT with the fearless aura and some dogs could bring that to 215 models easy in 1500.

So that's nothing. I personally have 135 ish mutants and the 30 hounds to make it a reality! So just wait, and all these Nid model counts will pale in comparison! Buwahahah!
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 29 Nov 2005, 22:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Good to hear, but I dont think your allowed to have a venom cannon and a barbed strangler in the same tyranid warrior squad. I wonder how the game would have went if he dident go so heavy on the upgrades though.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 23:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Agreed.* *My friend once ran 198 models in a 1500 point game.* :

And I have the pictures to prove it.* *;D
With what army? Those are some pictures I would like to see. I imagine the easiest army to get that high would be a kroot merc army. No tanks and unless using knarlocs no big creatures either. Just masses, and masses of infantry.

Good job on the win. Its always good to see the nids fall.

Old 29 Nov 2005, 23:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Quote:
Agreed.* *My friend once ran 198 models in a 1500 point game.* :

And I have the pictures to prove it.* *;D
With what army? Those are some pictures I would like to see. I imagine the easiest army to get that high would be a kroot merc army. No tanks and unless using knarlocs no big creatures either. Just masses, and masses of infantry.

Good job on the win. Its always good to see the nids fall.
Tyranids, of course. Congrats on the win, Del.

They were lead by a few synapse creatures... which I promptly crushed. His swarm didn't have anything that could reliably take out my tanks from then on, but I couldn't kill all of his guys... so I just reduced nearly all of them below half, while he munched happily upon my ground troops. Needless to say, I contested every quarter and that was the game.

It was horrifying.... he couldn't fit them all in his deployment zone.