Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Irony is the key to BS.
Closed Thread
Old 28 Nov 2005, 23:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Irony is the key to BS.

Look, Im all for irony, actually I love it and I use it too much and make peoples head hurt with it alot but still. Aren't tau supposed to be the best at long range combat, as they have developed all of thier tech for long range, trained thier troops in long range, and all that stuff. But still, armies like space marines, dark eldar, and chaos, all have BS of four. I thought tau were the amazing race that could shoot down all opposers at long range. I feel that they do fine at long range, since thier range still seems the best, but don't you think it should be 4? And commander shasos of battle suits, heavy experts of missiles, and tons of long rangely mayhem, have only five, thats fine and I have yet to see a six but still. Shouldn't it be even a tad higher?
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 00:05   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Irony is the key to BS.

I believe there was a post like this not too long ago.* The general conclusion was that BS3 is quite good.* It represents years of military training.* BS4 is for those crazy marines whose entire life is serving the emperor.* (shooting stuff)

There is no such thing as BS6 that would mean never missing..... 7-6=1+
Old 29 Nov 2005, 00:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

been done before. *Take a gander;

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=5211.0

bs 3 represents really good accuracy, better than today's modern military.
bs 4 represents what people at gun shows have for accuracy; awesomeness beyond compare
bs 5 is unimaginably good.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 00:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Tau have strength 5 basic weapons, that outrange every other basic weapon the game by 6 inches. That is *much* more useful than having 4 ballistic skill on the firewarriors.

6 ballistic skill is a fluff mechanic. It serves no real purpose within the rules of 40k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerby
I believe there was a post like this not too long ago. The general conclusion was that BS3 is quite good. It represents years of military training. BS4 is for those crazy marines whose entire life is serving the emperor. (shooting stuff)
Hmm, nope. It takes something like 12 years to gain a 4 ballistic skill under the Tau Rank system. Shas'ui, Shas'vre, shas'el or whatever. That's not a lifetime of combat training or a millenia of gene seed experience, it's called "The fluff is inconsistent in regards to gameplay balance, because gameplay balance is more important."

Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 29 Nov 2005, 00:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I just kinda think that a firewarrior would be just as skilled as a marine.* But whatever.* It would be cool for firewarriors to have BS four.* Oh the fun that would have.* But tau are very good no matter if not four.* Its just kinda odd since thier like masters of long range and stuff. But why do broadsides have BS of three? Thier taken as complete tactical geniuses and that they can shoot anything down, but they have to roll a four just to hit a marine. Thats whats really got me.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 00:27   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I know this is not stated in the books but maybe it can be an explanation. When they train outside of war they shoot at targets like drones which they do and they are markerlit and there helmets show if the gun is aming towards the drone so they are more accurate. But in war they dont have these bonuses? I know it probably sounds dumb but maybe it works.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 01:02   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

We tend to have this debate every few months or so.

3 reasons:

1. Game balance. Fire Warriors and Crisis suits were tried with BS 4 and found to be overly effective. Instead of raising their points to compensate, GW chose to drop their BS.

2. Fluff. Tau may be a high BS 3, but their training is not harsh enough yet to achieve BS 4. The prevalence of Space Marine armies skews our perception on this a little, but BS 4 is really insanely high. That said, Tau in Inquisitor have incredibly high BS, with a Shas'Vre having the equivalent of a BS 5.

3. Mechanics. If BS 4 models were more common, the markerlight would lose a lot of its usefulness. Since the theme of the 3rd edition Tau was units supporting each other, forcing us to rely on the markerlight was a prod. Now that the markerlight rules are changing, it also seems that we will be able to buy and equipment upgrade to give us +1 BS.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 01:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

Here is my theory on BS that I have slowly developed over my time playing 40k. *BS represents more than just how accurate you are, it also takes into consideration reaction time, which the Tau are short on, and dexterity as well as stability and accuracy. *If you will read in other posts about this same problem youll find Tau are much more accurate in inquisitor, but pulse rifles are quite a bit weaker. *Therefore I have concluded that Tau str 5 pulse rifles are str 5 due in part to Tau accuracy. *This also could help explain their longer range. *However Tau are a bit clumsy, having fewer fingers than humans, and their guns are quite cumbersome, being so long and bulky, and finally Tau have a slow reaction time, which all leads to them having less skill when it comes to aiming in the heat of a battle. *However when they are given the chance to take aim, i.e. you roll a 4 to hit, they are quite deadly with their guns that, in the hands of another, would be less deadly than a bolter.

Actually I don't think GW had thought of this, and just thought it would be cool to give an army str5 30in range weapons, but found bs4 to be unbalancing. *But I like my explanation so that's what I'll stick to.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 03:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hey guess what?

Give up?

In the new Codex ONE Firewarrior group may be upgraded to have BS 4.

Fun Huh?

I'm right behind you!

Never look back at what you have done. If you do you might not see the tree in front of you.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 03:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Sweet. I'll finally have a use for my "elite" fw's conversion. That one squad looks sweet, but is still normal. Now...