Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep]: 1500 Tau VS. Necrons - Interesting tie.
Closed Thread
Old 28 Nov 2005, 20:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default [BatRep]: 1500 Tau VS. Necrons - Interesting tie.

Our forces (to the best of my recollection)-

1 Shas'O - P Rifle MP, multi (General Purpose)
1 Shas'O - Fusion, P Rifle, multi (Tankhunter)
1 crisis team - 1x Burst, Flamer, multi + 1x Burst, P Rifle, multi, tlock (Horde hunter)
1 crisis team - 2x Fireknife, multi, 1 w/target lock
6 Stealth
3x 12 Firewarriors
1x 20 Kroot
1x 8 Gun Drones
1x Railhead w/SMS

HIS:

1 Destroyer lord
2x 13 Warriors
3x 4 Destroyers
1 Monolith

The mission was Alpha Recon, and I won the roll for side choice. Since a 3rd party setup the table, it was fairly even on both sides, with neither offering any forest in which to rest my Kroot. Also, since there was no deepstrike or infiltrate, everything was on the table.

He placed his monolith in the middle of the table (of course) with his warriors two ranks deep along the middle to the right of it. His lord was right behind the warriors and his nasty destroyers were all along his back table edge (and why wouldn't they)

My HH was placed to my far left at the very edge (unfortunately very close to his destroyers, but then I didn't have a choice did I). With a squad of FWs in front of it, my Fireknife Shas'o and Crisis squad also close by just behind a line of Kroot who had nowhere to hide anyway so I just stuck them out in a firing line to start shooting if he advanced their way. 1 squad of FWs in the middle in hard cover, 1 squad to the right in hard cover, backed up by the rest of my units. It was a strong right flank to counter my opponents strong middle and left (to me) he had fewer scoring units but they were much harder so I was trying to bide my time until a last minute rush to the end. He won the role and chose to go first.

Turn 1.

Necrons advance the monolith and teleport a unit of warriors who then move forward and are barely out of rapid fire distance the rightmost FW squad. His other warriors advance towards my right side, his lord hides in the background and his destroyers move into firing position. Remarkably he ignores my HH and opts to shoot at my left side crisis suits (inflicting only 1 wound), my kroot (killing 10), and a squad of Fire warriors (kiling 2).

My turn. I use the opportunity to advance my rightmost FWs into Rapidfire range (while staying mostly in cover) and advance all units in the same area for the same purpose. His squad takes 16 FW, 18 Stealth, 8 Drone, and 7 Crisis shots and loses 8 units, miraculously, though the Drones pin the Warrior unit (and somehow caused 4 of the 7 casualties). My HH takes a potshot at the Monolith, and rolls a dismal 1. My left most Crisis suits and Shas'o fire at two different destroyer units, 1 in each. However this destroyer unit fails it's morale check and begins fleeing, narrowly missing the table edg by 2 inches. I jump back and out of rapid fire with those units that can.

Turn 2 -

His destroyers fail to rally and flee off the table (2 failed morale checks, both boxcars). He has 2 warriors and 1 destroyer get back up. His Lith moves again and fires it's template causing 2 casualtiies. He relocates his remaining destroyer units to continue fire at my left flank. Recognizing the danger of my Railgun he shoots one unit at my hammerhead and only succeeds in shaking it. The remaining squad decimated the rest of my Kroot, except 1 who passed his morale (but failed last man next turn and fled). His Warriors advanced again and shot at my right most unit of FWs, killing only 2 more.

My turn was much of a repeat of the turn prior, except that my drones did not pin his warriors and unfortunately, I dumped many rounds into the first squad and was still unable to wipe the first squad (all but 1, with the gun drones again causing more than their share of casualties). His lord was still tooling around in the background, unwilling to risk getting shot down by so much firepower. Left side Fireknifes shoot at a squad of destoyers killing 2. He fails his morale AGAIN and the squad just flees right off the table this time. Two destroyer squads gone from Morale.

Turn 3 -

He moved his remaining destroyer squad into a good firelane without the Kroot in the way anymore. His Lith moves and discharges the 12" radius firing and kills two drones, 1 stealth and 2 firewarriors. He ports his wounded necrons out after seeing only 2 get up and gets 2 more back. His second unit of Necrons moves into rapid fire range and kill two more. The destroyers finally live up to their name and take out my Fireknife crisis suits on the left.

My turn yields a good round of shooting, causing all but two deaths on his full squad of warriors (thanks to a well positioned flamer), he is now approaching phaseout (needed 9 left). My warriors on the left were gradually sneaking over to his side (out of sight) and everything on the right went to shooting up his new squad of warriors. This time, however, I jumped towards his table edge (to attempt to score). He only had 3 scoring units if the warriors got back up, and I still had 5 (though 1 squad of FWs was way out of range). My HH fires and takes out 1 destroyer.

Turn 4 - He moves his lord in to charge range of my remaining crisis. He only has 4 guys get back up and he opts to port them back through again and still only gets 2 back. He then fires his 12 inch death radius, killing the crisis and causing 1 stealth wounds. 1 unit of necrons moves and shoots at stealth causing 1 casualties, while other (smaller unit) charges my 1/2 strength unit of FWs. Destroyers shoot at my Tank, and take out the Railgun. His lord can't charge since he killed the Crisis. No results in Close combat.

My remaining Shas'o on the right shoots at destroyers to no avail. I am able to reduce the Necron warriors to below scoring level (hopefully) and my engaged H2H warriors kill 1 Necron, but they stick (and he gets back up anyway). And I make a dash to his zone with stealths and drones.

Turn 5 - Very close game forces him to change gears. He runs his destroyers at my drones and reduces them to electronic scrap, while his lord made very short work of the stealthsuits (with no saves, they die awfullly fast). His monolith tries the 12" death radius and fails to affect much of anything.

I move my leftmost FW unit next to his zone, while his monolith is in mine. My HH tank is also very close to his zone. A dismal round of shooting and failing to wound means that though I am close, I still cannot phase him out. I charge my Shas'o into close combat but fail to do anything. miserably to do any damage.

Last turn. He is left with the choice of trying to wipe out my Firewarriors and go for the tie, or run his destroyers into my area and go for the tie. He opts to shoot at the FWs and causes enough casaulties to drop them below scoring. Result...a tie.

Necrons are TOUGH, especially for Static Tau, but overall I was pleased with almost every unit performance...except the Kroot. I have yet to see significant value in them. The die incredibly easily, unless, by chance they are buried within forest cover. Seriously...what is the point behind offering a boost to cover save that is solely depended upon your terrain. Just dumb IMHO. They might not be so bad if they had a high Initiative, but as it is they just suck. They either get shot to pieces before they get into CC or they die without retaliation when they finally do get into CC.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 22:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: [BatRep]: 1500 Tau VS. Necrons - Interesting tie.

Post Deleted~
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 22:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Yes. Railguns can fire 2 different types of shots (at least, the hh mounted one can) Look in your dex under the weapon summary. You'll see railgun solid slug (which can easily hurt the monolith) and railgun submunition (str 6)
Old 28 Nov 2005, 22:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastMaster
Very nice.* But this is a question thats been bugging me for awhile about HH railguns.* They are strength 6, how do you hit a monolith, armor 14 on all sides by rolling one die?* I dont see the point of trying.* Is there something I am missing?
Only the submunitions template is S6. *The single shot is S10 AP1.

I've seen your posts several times, and your enthusiasm is great. *However, you really could stand to purchase a Tau Codex and the Rulebook. *It would answer alot of your questions.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 22:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Post Deleted~
Old 28 Nov 2005, 22:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Hey hey hey.* I own a tau codex!* I just dont own a rulebook and Im purchasing one soon since I have alot to know... ALOT.* But I do have a codex.*
I'm not trying to get down on you I swear, as I'm fairly new to the hobby as well.* The answer to the question you asked is in the Tau Codex, which is what made me think you didn't have one.* I don't own every codex either, but I only play Tau (at the moment).* I, and most of the people I play take quite a bit of time to learn the armies they play, and the armies they play against.

Even if you only play for fun (which I do), it's always a good idea to know the relevant rules.* For example, my post was about a great battle with Necrons, so you can be sure I'll be reading their codex again, just so I know better next time what I'm facing.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 23:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Hey hey hey.* I own a tau codex!* I just dont own a rulebook and Im purchasing one soon since I have alot to know... ALOT.* But I do have a codex.*
Try cracking it open and reading it. You cant learn its rules by osmosis...... ;D
Old 28 Nov 2005, 23:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to vsurma

How about meiosis then? :P

You notice that when you give your opponant a rules advantage, they never ask you to show you THAT rule in your codex.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 23:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Post Deleted~
Old 29 Nov 2005, 06:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Sometimes you miss stuff.* GAWD.* N00b haters.
Seriously Toastmaster, I don't think we're N00b haters, since most of the replies here were joking. I wasn't joking as my suggestion was serious (to get a codex), because it seemed unlikely that you play Tau and you had no knowledge of the dreaded S10 AP1 Railgun shot that is (almost) universally feared.

I'm not trying to knock you down Toastmaster, I'm trying to lift you up. It is always beneficial to familiarize yourself with the rules of ANY game, particularly one as rules interactive as 40K, particularly in a discussion forum such as this. That way you know if a multitracker is needed to shoot 2 weapons at once, you know the number of times a gun shoots is based on the gun (and you have the gun stats), not the Shas'o # of attacks, and other such things. Learn the basics, and rely on those more experienced for advice and tricky stuff. I'm still new, so that's what I do.

Please don't get upset at some of the (mostly) good natured ribbing, just take it for what it is...a jest with a little grain of truth.
Closed Thread