Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help with Crisis config!!!!!
Old 26 Nov 2005, 02:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak
Default Help with Crisis config!!!!!

Hey, got a quick question. I'm starting to build my first army list ever(!!!!!) and i can't figure out how to do my battle suits. I want them to be cheap, but effective, so TL is good. I just cant decide wat to TL. I think Missle pods seem like a good idea, but like over 1/2 of the armys out their are marines or marine cloans (3+ saves), so i think for 3 extra points, plasmas might be the best way to go. If any1 could help, plz!!!!!!! ;D

Keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer....... except in battle.

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Mavfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2005, 02:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Help with Crisis config!!!!!

Exterminated.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
ToastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2005, 03:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'm likely to be slapped for saying this, but for a beginner who needs a suit that can do nigh on anything, the "Fireknife" configuration is the way to go.

Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, and Multi-Tracker - it lets you tackle light vehicles, medium infantry, and heavy infantry, can pump out 3 shots apiece on average, and is fairly cheap - 65 points on a Shas'Ui.

Remember not to glue on the weapons, though! If you find yourself facing rank upon rank of Marine clones, try twin-linked plasma. The likes of Eldar, Dark Eldar, other Tau, and many other armies, however, tremble at the mention of the name "Deathrain"... twinlinked missile pods can reliably make a real mess of their forces.

And just so you know, please use the "Search" function next time, to find the other threads where this question has been answered... the mods will love you for it .
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2005, 10:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

the simple answer is to configure your suits to do a role. give them a job, as it were.

there are a variety of roles they can preform:

pure anti armour: this combo involves the missile pod, and fusion blaster. various loadouts can be acheived, with one or the other being twin linked. going this route, it would be better to take "monat" or sinlge suits, give them the team leader upgrade, and a HW multi tracker. thing is, you can play this guy either way. move him around the board, missile podding things, and when you get close open up with the fusion blasters. or you can deep strike him right next to a land raider and crack it right open.
with this loadout, every vehicle in the game is prey, whether it is a sentinel, or a land raider. and you can even take pot shots at medium infantry, where your missile pods will tear them apart.

anti light armour: my personal loadout of choice. twin linked missile pods. Sometimes i take a flamer (its a dirt cheap hardpoint that can do something - unlike a multitracker that does nothing if i have only 1 gun) or else other times i take a plasma rifle as a secondary weapon, and as an officer symbol (as the plasma rifle is the tau officer's preferred weapon) What i like about this loadout is it allows me to keep a whopping 40" between me and my enemy and still be effective. and truth be told, i dont need a fusion blaster. my railguns will happily crack open heavy armour all day. and as well, the fusion blaster is a "suicide weapon" as it puts me in the rapid fire/assault killzone. and i dont like sacraficing 60odd pts of my list. and as well, missile pods are cheap, and are getting cheaper in the new codex. Like the above loadout, light to medium vehicles (essentially AV10-12) are your primary target, with troops as a secondary. dont worry about facing marines. i fond the missile pod very valuable against them. why? as mentioned, i have my massive range. plasmas are rapid fire, so as well as having 12" less of a range, i lose out on a shot. and a bs3 shot at that. thirdly, a smart marine player will be using cover. at least something with a 5+ save. in which case he gets a save against the plasma. overall, i just find missile pods far more versatile.

anti heavy infantry: a secondary loadout of choice. essentially, twin linked plasma rifles. (and i take a missile pod for secondary light armour cracking), or else plasma, fusion, multi tracker. and you can twin link one of these if you take a team leader upgrade, and HW multi tracker. the former - tl plasma, missile pod - proved successful for me in the past. this loadout is for taking* out heavy infantry. not specifically 15 point tac. marines, but preferably 50pt devestator marines with lascannons. or else expensive bikers, or terminators. and aside from marines, its perfect for necron destroyers, and expensive eldar units like wraithguard, warp spiders, their jet bikers, even scopions. and sure as hell there are targets in other army lists. twin plasmas can take out very light armour (AV10-11) at a pinch as well, though they're better off left to killing infantry.

the "everything" approach: the common as dirt "fireknife". though i will argue my tl plasma/missle pod is a variation of fireknife (fireknife6), the basic fireknife is plasma, missile pod, multi tracker. i find it unreliable on bs3 suits. there will be turns where you roll 4 3s. or 3 3s and a 5. sure, fireknife is versatile, and you can take on heavy infantry AND light armour. the best of two of the above categories. but its just too unreliable for my liking. though i will happily take fireknife on a commander (as he is bs4) as he is more reliable with it, it is my least favoured loadout for crisis suits.

you can get around this problem with a pathfinder team spotting for you suits, but i just have better things to spend my points on...

And no doubt, you will see the other weapon choice. specifically, burst cannons. you have no need to take it. you have enough str5 firepower with fire warriors. and devilfish (+ t.array) and hammerhead twin burst cannons are far more reliable than sticking a gun you have plenty of, on an expensive unit that can, in all honesty, take a better damn gun! and stealths (the most "loved" tau unit of many tau players- except for me!) have a burst cannon. take other weapons.

flamers are limited, but good. deep strike your 3 suits next to an ork mob and flame them all to death. its useful for sure in a pinch, and in the next codex with 4pt flamers, and twin flamers (re-roll wounds!) it will definately be worth taking. as it stands, i wold heartily recommend either tl missile pods + plasma or flamer as my loadout of choice.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2005, 10:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Good post, Dk.

I just want to add to something DTN said. Fireknife is good for newbies, yes. But it's also fantastic for a tournament where you don't know what you'll come up against.

Mavfreak,

I'd recommend missile pod, plasma rifle, and multitracker for your elite suits. for any headquarters suits (I don't recommend bodyguards, just shas'o and shas'el), plasma rifle, fusion blaster, and multitracker (cheap) or plasma rifle, fusion blaster, missile pod, and hardwired multitracker (not cheap, and you can only fire two of the weapons on any given turn, but this suit can literally do anything).

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
march10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2005, 12:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

MWAH.... DELETED.
Old 26 Nov 2005, 13:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Aesthtically, try modeling the weapons so they're being carried rather than mounted onto the vehicle, ala Bubblegum Crisis.

That said, Plasma Rifles=Good. Though I also enjoy Flamers as well...just don't put them on the same vehicle (BTW, is it possible to take 2 flamers?)
Old 26 Nov 2005, 13:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

No, you can't take T/L flamers, you don't roll to hit so it wouldn't help!
orion549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2005, 15:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

In the new codex we are rumored to be getting TL flamers. A TL flamer allows rerolled "to wound" rolls.
DireStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2005, 16:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Deleted. And I never did take a Flamer on my Suit... ha. The way things go.