Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot Tactics
Closed Thread
Old 25 Nov 2005, 21:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Kroot Tactics

i was wondering if u guyz had ne thoiughts on how to use kroot effectivly. it seems to me that there are two general tactics: try and sneak up to the enemy or hide them in ur lines until the enemy come to u. however, if u play a shooty army and the dont come to you, and the kroot get shot before they can do anything, what are you supposed to do? this is probably one of the reasons i dont play with kroot as often as i used to. any thoughts??
AUTHORITARIAN OPPRESSION, FAMILY ABUSE, DEPRESSION CAUSED BY CONFORMALITY AND ECONOMIC DEVISTATION WILL REIGHN. HUNGRY CHILDREN WILL NOT SPARE THE GROCER. REMORSE IN ALL FORMS WILL BE REMOVED FROM HUMAN THOUGHTS AND ACTIONS FREEDOM WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE THROUGH REVOLUTION OR DEATH. THIS SYSTEM OF A DOWN IS UNAVOIDABLE AS LIFE ON THIS PLANET BECOMES UNNECASSARY. WE HAVE THE POWER TO REVERSE THE TIDES OF TIME BY MAKING OUR AWARENESS OF ABUSE KNOWN TO THE POWERS OF INDUSTRY AND THEIR UNCOUTH POLITICAL ARMS. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY. OPEN YOUR EYES. OPEN YOUR MOUTHS. CLOSE YOUR HANDS AND MAKE A FIST!
Old 25 Nov 2005, 21:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Kroot Tactics

First off use proper english. This is not a chat room, its "before" not "b4."

That said I dont use kroot much either. Perhaps out of a bias or dislike but whatever. If you are using jungle fighting rules they are going to be one of the few effective infantry units anyone is going to have. If there are any woods or jungles 7 or more inches deep you can simply infiltrate the kroot to that spot and keep them 7 inches back from the edge. This way they can shoot out and nobody thats not using indirect fire can shoot them back.

They are also good for mopping up weakened units on a charge and some inexperienced players use them as a mass of bodies for a meat shield.

With infiltration they can get into some good spots early but they cannot really travel over open ground to a new position without risking being annihilated. They need their cover saves. But that does not make them useless they can put up a nice and heavy forward firebase while the rest of your army catches up.

In offencive power they are basicly marines, its their defence that is lacking. But with some clever use of terrain you can cover that weakness fairly easily without keeping them out of the fight.

Old 25 Nov 2005, 21:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

thats the problem isnt it. ive played some games where my kroot have performed extremely well, but only because my enemy wasnt experienced enough to cover the right places. its all about deployment
AUTHORITARIAN OPPRESSION, FAMILY ABUSE, DEPRESSION CAUSED BY CONFORMALITY AND ECONOMIC DEVISTATION WILL REIGHN. HUNGRY CHILDREN WILL NOT SPARE THE GROCER. REMORSE IN ALL FORMS WILL BE REMOVED FROM HUMAN THOUGHTS AND ACTIONS FREEDOM WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE THROUGH REVOLUTION OR DEATH. THIS SYSTEM OF A DOWN IS UNAVOIDABLE AS LIFE ON THIS PLANET BECOMES UNNECASSARY. WE HAVE THE POWER TO REVERSE THE TIDES OF TIME BY MAKING OUR AWARENESS OF ABUSE KNOWN TO THE POWERS OF INDUSTRY AND THEIR UNCOUTH POLITICAL ARMS. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY. OPEN YOUR EYES. OPEN YOUR MOUTHS. CLOSE YOUR HANDS AND MAKE A FIST!
Old 26 Nov 2005, 21:29   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hmmm, I know I am still pretty new; but in my first couple of games I have learned a couple of things which I think are applicable.* If a squad is coming towards you with flamers...be concerned!* Everything covered by the template is hit and kroot get basically no armour save so they basically all get smoked (literally).* Remember, there is no cover save from flamers...so be aware of where the enemy has flamers and don't place the kroot too close to them.* Kroot are farely effective shooters (basically guardsmen) so infiltrating and shoopting is pretty helpful (especially in woods as noted above).* Kroot cab fight guardsmen easily, and even sisters of battle to some extent.* From what I have experienced so far, do not put Kroot up against space marines because they will get eaten up.* The marines have higher initiative, so basically a large portion of your kroot don't get to attack.* With close combat it is also a numbers game, 12 kroot can likely take out 10 or so Imperial storm troopers or guardsmen (not a slaughter...but winning combat is doable).* 12 Kroot can take out a maybe 5-6 sisters.* 12 kroot can maybe kill 2-3 marines (basically if it has initiative 4, don't charge it...just keep shooting).

So besides the logical charging only when numbers are on your side, and when you at least strike at the same time; and shooting it up from cover, there are some other things I have been experimenting with.* With some varied success I have been using a unit of gun drones to support the kroot.* With the drones infront of the kroot you can take alot more fire, may get some pinning; and if a flamer is coming you get a chance to get of dodge while shooting as much as possible.* The problem is that you can't infiltrate too far, because it takes time to get the drones up to support.*

One final thing from my meager experience, setting up kroot close to firewarriors to protect them from the Bogey Man (or SMurfs) doesn't seem to work and limits your options.* Kroot in cover are guardsmen who can shoot well enough and fight even better...just keep in cover and avoid weapons which negate cover saves.* Thus being said, use the kroot to their full potential and don't hemn them into a certain roll. (Trust me, it is easy to do and I have suffered for it.* Heck in my last game some chaos space marines ate me up in close combat, and in the game before that they ate me with flamers....well all of life is a learning experience.)

P.S. As I have said I am a new player myself and I don't claim to have the best topics or methods.* These are merely some suggestions.* If anyone wants to contradict me or suggest something better please do...I'd like some better ideas for dealing with bloody infiltrating marines with flamers.* *(one last thing, all I have right now is the Battleforce box; hence why suggestions maybe involving other units have not been made)
Old 27 Nov 2005, 02:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think that kroot should be taken in groups of 20 with a shaper for ld 8 (though don't take the armor/ld up for the rest, just keep the shaper back.). If you can put them in a clump of trees that the enemy needs to advance past and let them pour at the firepower. What I usually do is infiltrate them with my stealth suits. Between them they can take down anything short of heavy tanks and dreadnaughts. It's about 350pts of my army and I can often draw off 500 points worth of enemy troops and do significant damage to them before the kroot hold them up while the stealths slip away; neutralizing a good portion of the opponent's strength and gaining a victory point advantage.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 03:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, meatshielding is where its at!* I haven't used kroot before, EVER.* And if I ever do it will be as stalling.* Ill simply have them block my enemies path, and my firewarriors will do the rest.* A few kroot might die, but my broadsides will be saved and thats a sacrifice well made.* And I'd rather have 20-30 victory points gone, instead of like 100 on the broadsides.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 14:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've been experimenting with using masses of kroot as a replacement for firewarriors, and have been very pleased with the results. My current 1500 point list has a 6 man firewarrior squad and 3 16 man kroot squads.

With infiltration, there are a variety of roles you can put these guys in. Primarily, they usually find themselves scattered around the board, infiltrated into cover to pick away at enemy heavy weapon (AT) crews and contest objectives. 16 strength 4 shots are a threat that can't be ignored, they units are cheap and difficult to remove, so the enemy either diverts resources (usually much more expensive resorces) to take the kroot out, or ignores them and loses a guy or two every turn. Either way, I win.

The second use I've found helpful on some occasions is to flood a whole flank with them. If the following conditions are met:
A- enemy force is very spread out
B- No blast or template weapons
C- Not much AP firepower (heavy bolters and such)
(these conditions are met fairly often, as most lists bulk up on anti-marine stuff like plasma guns and lascannons)

You can infiltrate all three squads together to one flank and start moving forward. Usually, the enemy is presented with a choice of taking a heavy weapon shot at one of my tanks, or shooting small arms into the kroot. The odds of killing the hammerhead are small, but it's very valuable. Shooting the kroot will do some damage, but not for much gain....and the enemy unit will die from the rapid-firing mass either way.

The least preferred option is to setup in your deployment area and shoot long-range at the enemy. Sometimes, though, depending on mission and enemy deployment, you may not get to setup anywhere else. My last game, for example, was take and hold, with the objective in the open and enemy troops (ultramarines) all over his side of the board. I set my kroot up in cover with LOS to the objective and fired away. Sometimes, the stealth suits and hammerheads are better suited to grabbing objectives.

A final key use of kroot squads....one that justifies the inclusion of a kroot squad in every army...is counter-infiltration. The last thing a good Tau commander wants is to face a bunch of AT weapon carrying infiltrators taking shots at his skimmers on the first turn, before they can move. With infiltrating kroot (even a small, 10 kroot squad) you have a 50/50 chance of getting to infiltrate first and keep all those nasties away. and if you don't get to go first, you can easily hide them somewhere else to contest a quarter/objective.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 15:34   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Just another hint: Bring alot of kroot or none at all to the game table. also hounds can help get alittle more people in your units and if you don't keep all your units together but seperated, the enemy usually will pay more attention to kroot instead of the real problem like stealth suits or other devistating units. Krootox seem ineffective and a waste of a heavey support choice. First the unit has to stay still and the toughness for auto kill is of the kroot and not the krootox.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 18:55   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Another tactic for static Tau armies is back-shielding. Keep a unit of Fire Warriors up against a stand of area terrain. Infiltrate a group of Kroot into this terrain after deployment is finished. This is ideal against hybrid armies with a slight emphasis on assault (particularly marines or Witch Hunters). Basically, both units fire away at long range as enemies approach. When they get close, they are faced with a difficult choice. They can assault the Fire Warriors, but a counter-charge by Kroot will utterly butcher them.

This may be obvious, but you should always infiltrate with Kroot when the rules allow it, even if you end up placing them in your own deployment zone. There is a significant advantage to be gained in forcing your opponent up in the deployment order .
Old 28 Nov 2005, 06:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

One tactic I've found that works is the 40 kroot rush in a 1000 point game. Unless they know what's coming, they're in deep trouble. Infiltrate both squads forward and run them up towards your foe.. hopefully against their 2nd most powerful flank. Follow up with the rest of your army, which should be mobile enough to support the kroot, especially with crisis. Only dreads or other vehicles with plenty of anti-troop power will be able to stop 40 kroot in cover charging towards them, backed up with some heavy firepower. Some situations, of course, would better be suited to holding the kroot back and playing more defensively.