Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What happens to dead Tau?
Closed Thread
Old 24 Nov 2005, 00:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default What happens to dead Tau?

I started wondering what happens to dead Taus? (mainly physical aspect, not spiritual)

In "Firewarrior" there is a brief mention about funeral pyres, so I guess that is one way to go.
However, since it is Kais who is thinking, and since the Castes are different, I wondered weather different castes have different kind of funerals?
Basically, there are two alternatives:
1) All castes, after death, will be burnt (like vikings did for warriors)
2) Each caste has different funeral. These could be (my suggestion) burning for Fire caste, burial for earth caste, Cremation and spreading the ashes to wind for air caste, burial at see (or perhaps space ) for water caste. I donīt know about Ethereals though.

Any thoughts?

Old 24 Nov 2005, 00:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: What happens to dead Tau?

Etherials can die? But they're gods! Ow, my belief system!

On a more serious note, I think that they're probably cremated or mummified. Something to honour them, and the mummification makes sense as they were originally a desert-dwelling race. They probably discovered mummification very early on, just like so many desert-dwelling races.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 01:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i think that cast related funerals are cool !

but what about kroot? oh of course buffa
Old 24 Nov 2005, 01:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I bet Kroot just feast on the dead Kroot so they can preserve the greatest qualities of that Kroot. I do like the idea about different castes having different burial practices.

Fire: Burned

Water: Burial at space

Earth: Buried in the ground

Air: Cremated and ashes spread out into the air

Ethereal: Mummification

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 02:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Um... soylent blue is Tau? ;D
Old 24 Nov 2005, 03:48   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Dornigdrache Send a message via Yahoo to Dornigdrache

Tuesday is Soylent Blue Day!........

why wouldnt the air be buried at space, and the water be sent out on or in the water?
Old 24 Nov 2005, 03:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dornigdrache
Tuesday is Soylent Blue Day!........

why wouldnt the air be buried at space, and the water be sent out on or in the water?
I would assume that the burial methods would derive back to time when Tau were not yet spaceflight capable (or maybe not even flight capable, except air caste).
In a pre-flight time most trade would have done with ships (though this could be wrong, as I donīt know if Tau has any major bodies of water. Maybe via rivers like in China?), so Water caste being merchants would get buried in sea. Air caste would propably have been living on windy mountains, so that sort of "gone with the wind" would IMO fit them.

These are all just my thoughts, there is no basis for them, but I think binding the elements to castes even after dead would be appropriate.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 05:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Air would definately be sent off into space, IMO. Seeing as most live on space stations now, you can't really burn them in an open pyre, it would use too much oxygen. Can't bury someone in a bulkhead, so for Air we're looking at a space burial or mummification, but I'm guessing sent into space, sort of a "last eternal flight" type thing.

I think the other castes would vary, depending on conditions. I think on Sept worlds it would be burial, so thier "spirits" stay home (if they believe in the idea of a spirit) but off-Sept it would be by pyre, so thier soul could be released from the body and go home. In the event of space travel for humans, I could see the same thing happening. We'll still bury people at home, but on a different planet it would be by pyre to allow the soul to come back to Earth.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 07:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd say feed them to the kroot, but imagine the pansies that would create. Fleet of foot kroot with WS2 and organic multitrackers!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 24 Nov 2005, 07:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ok, i've just got to say something here:

CASTE ELEMENTS ARE NOT MEANT TO BE TAKEN LITERALLY!

Just because the humans call them water caste doesn't mean that they have to be buried at sea. Earth caste don't have to buried just because they are called "earth caste", in the same way that fire caste members don't live purely of meat (where does that come from anyway?). I have seen many people take the caste names to literally and assume that the element that a caste is named for plays a major role in their life.
Closed Thread