Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to use Kroot/Gue'vesa?
Closed Thread
Old 23 Nov 2005, 15:51   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default How to use Kroot/Gue'vesa?

Hello!* 8)

I'm pretty new to 40k and totally new to this forum.(played fantasy for a long time) I suddenly figured out that the Tau Army was awesome. I can't wait for the new Codex and models to ship over to Europe.. I'm one of those players who love the ability to field different races,. like Kroot, human auxiliaries and the new vespid troops apart from the Tau, it reminds me of the Covenants in the Halo series (played far to much... ;D)
I know many doesn't agree with my point of view, but it gives you much variations and offers many different styles to play.

I've already got some human auxiliaries and i'm going to buy some kroots in the nearest future.. now I got some questions.
How should you field your Kroots in your army, and witch role should they play? I also wonder witch type of Tau army the kroots and other alien/auxiliaries fits best in.

Thanks
Old 23 Nov 2005, 16:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Re: Covenant Tau

Well, I have yet to find a purpose for human aux squads, and we have yet to see the actual rules for the Vespid, so I'll just stick to Kroot for now.

Talk to a non-Tau player and they will tell you that "Kroot are for Kombat!" Realistically, Kroot have no staying power, so you cannot run around the board cutting everything up with your Kroot rifle blades. Kroot are competent fighters, but they have a number of severe limitations. Let's look at each aspect of Kroot in combat:

Weapon Skill: Quite nice weapon skill. You'll be hitting on 4s, sometimes 3s, and rarely getting hit on 3s.

Strength: Excellent strength for 7 points a model.

Base attacks: With two base attacks, thanks to the Kroot Rifle, the Kroot are a competent combat squad. When you take into account the number of Kroot you can field, and the fact that you can charge for an additional attack each, the Kroot become quite formidable.

Now, to the negative aspects:

Toughness: Kroot are not marines. They go squish as easily a a guardsman.

Initiative: Kroot are not marines. This really, really hurts. With lower I than marines, you will be taking damage first, potentially crippling your charge by removing huge masses of fragile Kroot. The good news is, this can be ameliorated by taking Kroot hounds! They attack simultaneously with many of the game's I4 threats. Let them attack, and then remove them as casualties, letting the rest of the normal Kroot attack then.

Armor: Kroot armor is a joke. No Kroot armor will stand up to any kind of shooting. This makes it difficult to advance to get into combat in the first place. In combat, Kroot with armor have marginally improved staying power.

Leadership: Statistically, you have a slightly less than 50% chance to run if you have to take a leadership test with the Kroot base leadership. However, upgrading their armor upgrades their leadership! While the armor seems expensive for little benefit, you will benefit greatly from the increased leadership, improving staying power in combat.

Sweeping advance troubles: Occasionally, an enemy in combat with Kroot will fail its leadership. This could happen more easily if there were lots of Kroot, causing "outnumbered" modifiers. First you have to win combat though, which can be a problem with fragile Kroot. You will definitely take a lot of wounds; the only question is whether you will deal enough in return to win combat. This usually comes down to the opponent's armor, so things like marines have quite a good chance to win combat against Kroot.

Should you actually win combat and force your opponent to run, there is an increased possibility that your Kroot will not be able to chase them down! This can mean death for a Kroot squad caught in the open after fighting off marines who will auto-rally and then rapid fire or charge.

What does all this mean? Kroot generally cannot go looking for a fight, as they are too fragile. They cannot fight off superior numbers in a protracted fight due to their lack of staying power. They CAN cause heavy damage on the charge, or if you yourself are charged in cover, which means you get to go first and get all of your attacks.

So, Kroot are decent, but not great in combat overall. Another aspect of the Kroot may make you hesitate to get into combat: their shooting!

Kroot rifles are basically bolters. The slightly reduced AP will not matter very often. For their price, Kroot are more efficient shooters than marines, except in shooting at troops with armor 5, where the bolter's AP gives it an edge. A squad of 20 Kroot can cause a lot of damage! Of course, it can also take casualties and run due to low leadership.

Fortunately, we have a way around this disadvantage. Cover! Kroot love Kover! It might be painstaking to move 20 Kroot into a building or forest, but that free 4+ save is worth it! That's right, Kroot get +1 to cover saves in forest. Additionally they move through forest as if it were open ground, giving you more options when a squad gets too close. Want to charge? Ok! Want to run away? No problem! Want to position yourself to screw up your opponent's charge? Sure thing!

Oh, and there's yet another trick the Kroot keep up their sleeveless arms. If they stand still, they can see through 12" of forest. This can mean that your Kroot are INVINCIBLE! Nothing else can shoot them if they are too deep in the forest, yet they can still fire off nearly two dozen bolterlike shots.

In summary:
Kroot can deal great damage in combat, but are fragile.
Kroot can deal great damage in shooting, and are still fragile; but we can fix this with cover.
Charge when you must, shoot when you can, hug a tree.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 17:18   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

;D Nice one fellah! Can't wait untlil I get a bunch of them!
Old 23 Nov 2005, 17:53   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Location: up nord where it snows like a jamaican with dandruff(mn, us)
Send a message via AIM to j1m7 Send a message via MSN to j1m7

yeah, i've taken out guardian squads from forests as they were running at me.

and, if your into the whole sacrifice thing, they can stand in front of your FWs and fire their guns and take the enemy down when they end up charging you.

also, if someone loses combat to you, and you have a few of them cute little kroot hounds, all the kroot hounds left can make a single S4 attack at the fleeing bastards!!! that makes it a little bit funnier after people say they will kick your armiy's butt and end up losing.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 18:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Direstrike is right on with the kroot. They have their advantages just remember to keep them in cover at all costes, woods if you can. Kroot out of their cover are corpses.

Now in my Experience Gue'vesa are very cheap numbers and markerlights. Sit them back and mark away for seekers or railguns or whatever else. However the majority of your enemies are going to be humans. So this means that Gue'vesa are not going to be happy to get into combat with any of their former buddies. So keep them back or on the flanks. They can add the bulk and sometimes cheap bodies you need to hold objectives and you can even give them a few pulse rifles or carbines. They can do alright in shooting, not that great. They are not going to live long in combat against any imperials but they are very cheap and they have a very cheap markerlight.

I have a problem with gue'vesa though that keeps me from fielding them. Their save, its 5+, that makes no sense to me. The unorthodox guard army doctrines for an all gue'vesa army give them a 4+ save, I dont see why squads lent to the Tau would not be equally armored. However if you keep them at the rear of your lines and in cover this may not matter.

The vespid will probably be very fast, very fragile, hard hitting space marine killers. But we will just have to wait and see. But it is also very likely that they will be fast attack and not troops so thats not going to be too constricting to field all 3 kinds of auxilaries and plenty of Tau.

If you want an army with a lot of auxilaries then I would suggest you go with a hybrid style army. Get a few squads of Tau and pack them in devilfish, use maybe a Railhead, Ionhead and squad of broadsides and get a couple squads of kroot and gue'vesa. The gue'vesa sit back and mark guarding the broadsides, kroot infiltrate and put up a decent forward firebase and possibly counter charge while the Tau units skim around filling holes and supporting mobile elements like crisis suits, stealths and hammerheads. This is just my oppinion though. The battleforce might be a very nice start for you though you may want to wait a few months for the new codex and almost certainly new battleforce and/or army deal to come out.

Good luck.

Old 23 Nov 2005, 20:24   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks again, i've learnt a great deal and now I know the basics about how to build my army.
Yes., waiting for the new codex and battleforce sounds like an brilliant idea ^-^, I think ill start collecting kroots and more Gue'vesa's for now.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 02:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommandant
Hello!* 8)

I'm pretty new to 40k and totally new to this forum.(played fantasy for a long time) I suddenly figured out that the Tau Army was awesome. I can't wait for the new Codex and models to ship over to Europe.. I'm one of those players who love the ability to field different races,. like Kroot, human auxiliaries and the new vespid troops apart from the Tau, it reminds me of the Covenants in the Halo series (played far to much... ;D)
I know many doesn't agree with my point of view, but it gives you much variations and offers many different styles to play.

I've already got some human auxiliaries and i'm going to buy some kroots in the nearest future.. now I got some questions.
How should you field your Kroots in your army, and witch role should they play? I also wonder witch type of Tau army the kroots and other alien/auxiliaries fits best in.

Thanks
I'm kinda new to 40k( have only played 5 games) but I think that kroot are pretty good for distracting the enemy while everyone else runs.

They see him rolling,
They hating,
Patroling and trying to fix him with a dark lance,
Trying to fix him with with a dark lance
Trying to fix him with with a dark lance
Fix him with a dark lance,
Try to fix him with a dark lance.

(rap)
Rolling up 'cos I'm a Space Marine,
Heavy armour so it ain't hard to be seen, I ride, ride and they see me lean, Soritas and a TV screen, Yeah the Canoness, she likes cola, Mixed in a stolen drone controller, But then I just try to hold her, One smack and great, I'm in a coma
Old 25 Nov 2005, 05:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashui tarik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommandant
Hello!* 8)

Thanks

I'm kinda new to 40k( have only played 5 games) but I think that kroot are pretty good for distracting the enemy while everyone else runs.
Excellent point, this is how I have won heaps of batles. Kroot hold them up and the XV8's run p behind them and BOOM!

Now, the Kroot. One thing I have learnt (apart from what has already been mentioned) is they are nice counter-charge units. If you know you are facing assaulty armies, charging them when they expected you to shoot is really nice, as it takes away their charge attack. This is especiallty useful against Orks, because it stuffs up there WAAAAGGHHHH power.

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 25 Nov 2005, 10:29   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I thought about using the gue'vesa as cannon fodder.. at least putting them in front of my crisis if needed, staying on the flank. Since they have such a low point cost, how about arming them with EMP grenades,. also giving them a sergeant and some pulse rifles ?
Closed Thread