Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau VS Orks
Closed Thread
Old 23 Nov 2005, 15:49   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Army Ranger
Default Tau VS Orks

Im about to fight orks in a campaign battle. Any ideas on what to take and tatics?
Old 23 Nov 2005, 15:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Re: Tau VS Orks

Lots of pulse fire =D

Hammerheads with railgun, mostly for the submunitions, but you might need to kill a battle wagon or looted vehicles.

Kroot are marvelous against orks. Remember to get the charge though.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 16:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Do you know what kind of orks?

I think pulse weapons are very efficient against orks, due to orks slow speed (unless they are KoS).
They can also be used well against ork trukks, buggies and killakans. So firewarriors/drones are good.

Take some crisis suits, as you propably need some stronger weapons agaisnt dreadnaughts and possible battlewagon.

Stealthsuits will propably also come in handy.

If you take a Tank, Iīd suggest railhead with target lock and SMS. Sub munitions work wonders in ork mob, and SMS is handy to remove the trakk behind cover.

Also, to boost numbers, Iīd take kroots.

Thatīs my general suggestions, it would help to know what you think your opponent has, what kinda game you are playing, and how many points is it.

Old 23 Nov 2005, 16:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

Crisis suits- Flamers, Missile Pods, Burst Cannons and DO NOT FORGET TAU PLASMA. Ork warbosses and cyborks have -good- saves, 2+, 3+...and some invulnerable. So don't brush off the Ork as a bunch of guys with T4 and no saves, you WILL have to take down 2+ and 3+ saves.

Stealth teams....have like, 1 or 2 with 3 men each. Don't overdo it though, points should be spent on the above and Railheads and squads of FW.

Kroot are also amazing vs Ork, being that they are great skirmishers in CC and also have weapons that deny Boyz saves. I once took out a giant squad of StormBoyz (that was definantly going to crush my fragile flank of FW) and shot them up with Kroot Rifles. They retreated and I saved my flank.

Beware of the following though:

Choppas. They reduce any better saves of 4+ TO 4+, so Crisis are vulnerable if they don't have INvulnerable. Shield Gen any Crisis that is going to be engauging Mobs of Boyz.
Trukk Boyz. Their vehicles are fast and therefore move 24" per turn, and are only able to be hit on a 6 or something. So that's difficult.
Cyborks. They've got invulnerables and I think are T5 so beware of that.

Tau and Kroot are very good vs Ork (if you know what to do) so follow the advice and tell us how you did. Goodluck, Victory for the Greater Good!

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
Old 23 Nov 2005, 16:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Ranger
Im about to fight orks in a campaign battle. Any ideas on what to take and tatics?
Crisis team:
Suit 1: TL Missile Pod with Target Locker (anti-trukk)
Suit 2: Missile Pod/Plasma Rifle/Multi-Tracker.
Suit 3: (Team Leader) Missile Pod/Plasma Rifle/Multi-Tracker/HW Target Locker
This combo allows you to split fire for taking out trukks, and the plasma is for the Bosses.

(edited the Team Leader's HW system.)
Old 23 Nov 2005, 16:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Quote:
Suit 3: (Team Leader) Missile Pod/Plasma Rifle/Multi-Tracker/HW Multi-Tracker
You do realize that you've taken two multitrackers, which is a waste of points and illegal besides? ;D
Old 23 Nov 2005, 16:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShaperx
* * * * * * * * * * * *Choppas. They reduce any better saves of 4+ TO 4+, so Crisis are vulnerable if they don't have INvulnerable. Shield Gen any Crisis that is going to be engauging Mobs of Boyz.
* * * * * * * * * * * *Trukk Boyz. Their vehicles are fast and therefore move 24" per turn, and are only able to be hit on a 6 or something. So that's difficult.
I think Shield generator only gives 4+ inv save, so there is no benefit in taking that. Even more so, as orks tend to be slow so you should be able to avoid CC with suits.
I donīt hink trukk boyz have any special rules about hitting. They do move 24", but I think they can be hit normally. They passangers just donīt take hit so easily if they vehicle is destroyed (or does this only apply to KoS?)
Old 23 Nov 2005, 16:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
They passangers just donīt take hit so easily if they vehicle is destroyed (or does this only apply to KoS?)
No, this applies to all "Trukkers" on any Ork list. Note that other troop types transported in trukks in a KoS does not benefit from the rule.

Old 23 Nov 2005, 16:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Shovah Send a message via MSN to Shovah Send a message via Yahoo to Shovah

Mass Pulse fire, and some Stealth suits.

Use Fusion/Burst cannon should also be good.

"... and if machine spirit is not roused, the Lithany of Profanity should be spoken, followed by ritual striking of machine with one's fist. After which, depress the red rune again."

[taken from Adeptus Mechanicus manual]
Old 23 Nov 2005, 17:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Some units that work well against orks;

pulse weaponry of any kind.
railgun submunition (which should be targeting ard boyz if he has any)
deathrain crisis; trukks can have all sorts of annoying things, especially that 6+ invulnerable, so more shots are better than railguns vs armor. That, and give your deathrains some drones so once the passengers are in the open, you can shoot them and perhaps pin them in place.
kroot; take a bunch. you hit on a 4+ wound on a 4+ and deny their 6+ save.... barely. Kroot also have better initiative and str 4, so orks and kroot both wound each other on a 4+. If your kroot get off the charge vs a mob of regular boyz, consider the boyz done. However, kroot don't cut it vs ard boyz, nobz, etc, so just shoot them and forget about assaulting them.