Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sky Ray
Closed Thread
Old 22 Nov 2005, 18:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Sky Ray

Does anyone have any idea what these things are good for? it only get 6 shots and cost more than a railhead i dont get it.
Thanks
The Mothman (yeah im from Point Pleasent)
Old 22 Nov 2005, 18:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius
Default Re: Sky Ray

From what I've heard, it can be given burst or sms upgrades, basically like all other tanks of Tau. the difference supposedly is that it gets 6 seeker missiles plus its own markerlights, making it a fantastic support vehicle that can shhot very well from behind any sort of cover, lending amazing amounts of suppoer where needed. Imagine a unit of pathfinders getting near enough to start designating targets for a full 6 salvos of S8 missiles, thats where it starts coming in handy.

there has been tlak that the other tanks will be limited to 2 seeker missiles max. which makes the sky ray a more desirable option for players who want heavy support with little risk.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 22 Nov 2005, 18:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

you forgot the skyrays little trick of lauching all 6 missles

hopefully the markerlights will be able to markerlight for more than its seekers making it an amasiing system
Old 22 Nov 2005, 18:19   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Location: up nord where it snows like a jamaican with dandruff(mn, us)
Send a message via AIM to j1m7 Send a message via MSN to j1m7

what's its main weapon?
Old 22 Nov 2005, 18:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Seekers at S8, sms or burst cannon its secondary. I'm not sure where the makerlights fall in actually, though i assume since makerlights dont actually have any S values, they'd be some other form of weaponary so that both markers and seekers could be launched in a single shooting phase.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 22 Nov 2005, 18:22   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

in the forge world books it says that it can only fire their seekers only by there markerlighter(which is very very annoying >).

coun'bei
Old 22 Nov 2005, 18:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman

Hey thank you all. I think i might invest in one.

The Mothman
Old 22 Nov 2005, 18:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I truly hope what coun'bei said is false when they make the sky ray official in the codex, I like the idea of a tank delivering an amzing arsenel yet managing to stay hidden safely away while my pathfinders and stelth seek out targets for it.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 22 Nov 2005, 18:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by coun'bei
in the forge world books it says that it can only fire their seekers only by there markerlighter(which is very very annoying
Fortunately, the codex has no such restrictions.

From the Sky Ray intro fluff,

"... When guided by the markerlights of Pathfinder teams, the Sky Ray makes an exceptional perimeter and air defence missile system."

Note that the AA upgrade option is not present in the codex (IA3 only).

Later,
Fireblade
“One of their light walkers carried a weapon of lethal effect. It fired a form of ultra-high velocity projectile. I saw one of our tanks after having been it by it. There was a small hole punched in either flank – one the projectile’s entry point, the other its exit. The tiny munition had passed through the vehicle with such speed that everything within the hull not welded down had been sucked out through the exit hole. Including the crew. We never identified their bodies, for all that remained of them was a red stain upon the ground, extending some twenty metres from the wreck.”
Major Kane
Old 22 Nov 2005, 19:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mothman
Does anyone have any idea what these things are good for? it only get 6 shots and cost more than a railhead i dont get it.
Thanks
The Mothman (yeah im from Point Pleasent)
The point cost for the Skyray is lower than a railhead. Also with the new rules for Markerlight Network... it might be nice for "painting" your enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coun'bei
in the forge world books it says that it can only fire their seekers only by there markerlighter(which is very very annoying >).

coun'bei
Actually, the Skyray is now on the new "Markerlight Network", which means any markerlight can launch a seeker.