Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drones question
Closed Thread
Old 22 Nov 2005, 01:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Drones question

I know that new rules (4th edition) waste drones, but I thought of something ... If I attach my Shas'O or Shas'el to a unit of drones, it allows me to move him on the front line without being targeted, and as I'll have Ld 9 or 10, I don't really have to fear fall back from shooting/pinning/etc. So on, if I feel the CC danger near by, I only have to move my commander way during the movement phase before being assaulted, shoot with what I got left of drones on the nearest (most dangerous) squad and after that assault it, giving a chance to my commander to get away and as the drones should not win the assault (because of their, probably, reduced number) I'll be able to shoot at the unit on the next shooting phase. Just An idea... Also, with the new majority saves rule, drones are going to get all the hits before the commander.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 02:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Drones question

interesting... as I understand it, you use drones as meatshields, then hope you get assaulted so you can shoot next turn, sacrificing a 48(minimum) point unit, (points that you have to gain back and then some to win,) one problem, as you said, you you really don't need to worry about falling back, so your commander is stuck in and cannot shoot. although I could be incorrect on your point, your post wasn't entirely clear, you may need to proof-read before posting. but that teeny glitch is easily remedied, if you truly have your heart set on sacrificing perfectly good drones, just put your commander behind the squad. in fourth ed, you cannot target independent characters unless they're the closest unit, so your commander can rain down fire upon your foes, (and you still get to lose your drones in an assault is you want!)

finally, I agree,4 Ed. screwed drones

Tau 9/3/0 Space Wolves 50/28/15

RAAAAAARGH!
what now?
raaaaaargh.
oh.

I'll beat you down with my ukos!
whats ukos mean?
never mind
I can chew through metal bars, spit acid, carry in one hand weapons that normal men have to mount on tanks, I'm then ft. tall, can eat rocks, and your telling my I don't get lunch break?!?!?! I bet you do. mmmmhmmmm, riiiiight.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 02:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Not for long hopefully! *crosses fingers*

Anywho Auno is correct. It is best NOT to attatch the commander to the drones but instead to have him BEHIND them. There is a big differance. One way he gets shot, the other he cannot be. Id rather have the latter wouldnt you?

IC is a really brilliant thing for making our commanders really effective. My Shas'O has yet to die and he never attatches to units. I love correcting people when they try to shoot my Shas'O before he brings firey fusion death to their armor and characters.

Old 22 Nov 2005, 02:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Heck, drones are supposed to get killed first, right?

So, here's my thought on your plan - your shas'o is not bad in melee. I've seen him handle large squads - he does get 4 counter attacks and has strength 5. Not bad against most infrantry.

You coudl also handle melee squads by moving in your shas'o with a flamer, hitting them, then hopping him back and moving the drones into the line of melee.

Option 2: Flamer the squad, drone shoot the squad, then charge with both units. Your opponent gets no charge bonus. I know drones suck in melee, but you might as well have them suck against fewer attacks (and they have good initiative), while they help the Shas'o make butter out of the unit. If you beat it in melee, you could get it to fail leadership and then run away or be wiped out, allowing you to move up and then potientially shoot at it again.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 13:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Rather than bothering with bodyguards and "attached" drone units for a Commander, I always though of it to be better when the Shas'o/'el was protected by his independant character status...that way he will be safe from a majority of shooting.

Don't get me wrong, though...I love drones! If I don't have at least 1 squad of 8 in my army list, then something is wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladesuit
Also, with the new majority saves rule, drones are going to get all the hits before the commander.
That is true, and if your Drone squad with attached Commander attract alot of fire power (which they probably will) then the Commander will more than likely will take a hit after the drones are toast...
Old 22 Nov 2005, 14:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to vsurma

Shaso ld does not work when he is with kroot or drones, he must be with real tau units for his ld to have an effect, chicken or robots dont care for his inspirational presence unfortunately, if they did I would attach him to a 20 strong kroot squad!

And have another in another 20 strong kroot squad....shame.

I like some of these ideas, though the flame then assualt with drones would be better with normal crisis suit, no point risking your HQ for this when a normal suits flamer is just as effective, ok sure the HQ has IC status and cannot be fired on, but if you have just 8 drones to protect him the enemy can destroy those drones THEN shoot the commander.

It works where many enemy units cannot see you though.

You notice that when you give your opponant a rules advantage, they never ask you to show you THAT rule in your codex.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 15:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsurma
Shaso ld does not work when he is with kroot or drones, he must be with real tau units for his ld to have an effect, chicken or robots dont care for his inspirational presence unfortunately, if they did I would attach him to a 20 strong kroot squad!
Where in the Tau Codex (or BGB) does it say that Shas'o Ld only applies to the squad if he joins a Tau unit (Fire Warriors or suits), and does not apply if he joins a Kroot or Drone Squad?

Just asking for future reference.

Later,
Fireblade
“One of their light walkers carried a weapon of lethal effect. It fired a form of ultra-high velocity projectile. I saw one of our tanks after having been it by it. There was a small hole punched in either flank – one the projectile’s entry point, the other its exit. The tiny munition had passed through the vehicle with such speed that everything within the hull not welded down had been sucked out through the exit hole. Including the crew. We never identified their bodies, for all that remained of them was a red stain upon the ground, extending some twenty metres from the wreck.”
Major Kane
Old 22 Nov 2005, 21:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for all the advices, but I still have a question ... You said that as long as my commander isn't the nearest unit he can't get shot at ... but can't my ennemies take LD test to target him instead of the nearest unit ??
That's is precisely why I wanted him to join the Drone squad, to avoid being targeted when I move him on the front line, drones taking a few shots before the squad number became too low to make an effective ''meat shield''. When it would be the case, or when my ennemy could have a chance to assault the unit, I would simply disengage him during the further movement phase.

And sorry for the wrong/bad english and sentence structure, I'm a french canadian ... so I'm not used to write in english ...
Old 22 Nov 2005, 22:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

No, he is an IC or independant character. Read the rulebook it explains all but basicly an independant character that is NOT the clossest unit CANNOT be targeted at all what so ever, sory. Only models like the vindicare assasine with a special rule that lets them target ICs and the like can shoot them. No leadership tests, that is for units, ICs are another matter. Unless you give the commander drones or a bodyguard he remains an IC and as long as he is not the clossest unit be it a tank or troops he cannot be targeted even with leadership tests. This is a very important rule to keep in mind.

Old 23 Nov 2005, 01:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thats even better than attaching him to the drones, thanks for the tip.