Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The krootox have a purpose!!
Closed Thread
Old 21 Nov 2005, 13:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to kaskal
Default The krootox have a purpose!!

Over the weekend i had an Epiphany, there is a purpose for the lumbering krootox. since most tactics for the kroot call for them to be body guards for your fire warriors then the krootox fulfil that roll perfectly. as a plus they have the powerfull kroot gun.

in my plan to use the kroot I had the unit in-betwen two units of fire warriors with the krootox at the lead. this is so the kroot guns can still fire, and when an enemy gets to close for comfort move the kroot warriors up in the front to protect the fire warriors along with the added bonus strength of the krootox.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 13:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: The krootox have a purpose!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaskal
Over the weekend i had an Epiphany, there is a purpose for the lumbering krootox. since most tactics for the kroot call for them to be body guards for your fire warriors then the krootox fulfil that roll perfectly. as a plus they have the powerfull kroot gun.

in my plan to use the kroot I had the unit in-betwen two units of fire warriors with the krootox at the lead. this is so the kroot guns can still fire, and when an enemy gets to close for comfort move the kroot warriors up in the front to protect the fire warriors along with the added bonus strength of the krootox.
(1) krootox takes up a heavy support
(2) krootox is stupidly expensive
(3) krootox prevents me infiltrating
(4) its gun is ....

kroot were only used as FW bodyguards by tactically incompetent newbs in 3rd ed where they were a meatsheld. only idiots play this way. kroot are flankers/harassers/infantry fire support/ counter assault/ decoy units.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 21 Nov 2005, 13:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

yes but in order to do that you have to sacrifice a heavy slot - i'll take my hammer heads and let my FW sort themselves out
Old 21 Nov 2005, 13:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

My little hooved dudes provide well enough for themselves. The only shield they need is the Devilfish. Kroot are used as meat shields only when someone cannot think of a better way to use them. I am glad that general tactics have shifted away from the very unfluffy and wastefull idea of meat shield units. The only unit I consider using to shield my Firewarriors are drone squadrons as that is really what they are for, to protect Tau lives. Kroot really do much better as counter assault and when infiltrated on the flanks. They can also be used as very effective lures. You can even simply use them to put a mass of bodies on your flank while most of your army is busy elsewhere to make sure nobody is going to come around you.

Old 21 Nov 2005, 14:41   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The best use for a Krootox is as a weapon. Heavy enough to throw, light enough for good range…
Old 21 Nov 2005, 17:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

if the krootox did not take up a HS slot and could fire on the move then i would seriously consider taking a few. they are not a bad unit but as it stands the cost alittle to much and have more cons than the points let on... something that cost that much has to me good... right?
Old 21 Nov 2005, 17:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

*cough cough* SAY WHAT? *cough wheeze*

krootox are a complete and utter waste of points. only pathetic 3rd ed noobs used them as meat shields. I'm not paying 50 points for a meat shield that can be insta-killed by plasma! The gun isn't as good as a missile pod and due to the fact that it is rapid fire, you can't really move and still maintain your firepower.

Also, if you had done your research, you would have noticed a thread (which is still on the front page to the bottom) titled "does anybody use krootox?". The answer is pretty much no. Krootox take up a heavy support slot and, even if they didn't, they are still a waste of points.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 18:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to kaskal

even if they are a meat shield they are an effective meat shield. only closed minded people cant see some of the truly cappable places a krootox can be used in.

another thing is why should everyone imediately say that the krootox are useless, that can discouarage people from coming up with new tactics that could completly take an enemy by suprise.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 18:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaskal
even if they are a meat shield they are an effective meat shield. only closed minded people cant see some of the truly cappable places a krootox can be used in.

another thing is why should everyone imediately say that the krootox are useless, that can discouarage people from coming up with new tactics that could completly take an enemy by suprise.
Because though the kroot ox may not be useless it is utterly not worth it. Whatever tactics you can come up with to justify it can easily have something else substituted for the kroot ox and only a new player would waste units on meat shields. Its never a viable tactic in my oppinion especially because it is an extremely unfluffy one for the Tau. 50 points for a single rapid fire missil pod and it takes up a heavy support slot, thats just not worth it. Or ok 150 points for 3 rapid fire missil pods... nope still not worth it. Thats not even taking into acount the fact that it removes the infiltrating ability of the kroot squad they are attatched to. The advantages just do not balance out the disadvantages and no strategy is going to really make up for it. A flawed unit to begin with. Hopefully the new codex will not only make the ox and hounds kroot squad upgrades and remove them from heavy support and fast attack options but also make the ox a good bit cheaper. At 30 points and without giving up a heavy support slot I could see using it. At 50 and the heavy support its just not worth it.

Old 21 Nov 2005, 18:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

For the 50 points you spend on a unit with three wounds, it simply isn't a good investment as a meat shield. For those 50 points you could have gotten 7 kroot, ie 4 extra wounds. Even though the krootox has toughness 4, this is offset by the whole toughness 3 for insta kill purposes thing.

The kroot gun it carries is decent enough.... but not worth the 50 points you pay for it.

To use a krootox well, you MUST get into combat with it.... and pray that they have no attacks at str 6 or better. The problem is that you can't infiltrate when you have krootox, so in order for them to assault the enemy has to come to you.... which is a possibility. I just prefer not to rely on my enemy for effectiveness, because as soon as they decide to avoid the krootox or simply shoot them, they were useless.