Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Are Ethereals stupid?
Closed Thread
Old 20 Nov 2005, 00:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Are Ethereals stupid?

Well this subject doesn't really have to do with the intelligence of the ultimate tau leader but I was wondering... Why don't Tau have a single measly psychic power? What does Warp travel have to do with it? If you were trapped with a chaos lord for a week the voices and powers of the demons would still haunt you right? And maybe you would even learn how to control them? Then again why would a chaos lord keep someone alive?

I got owned by Wargamer, crazedmongoose2003 in Br and finally the inquisition during April 1st.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 00:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Are Etherals stupid?

Because Tau just do not have the presence on the warp that other races do. Tau have a far smaller registration in the warp than even your most basic human. In fact chaos has a hard time even seeing Tau they are so insignificant in the warp. They can be possessed and they can be tainted but they are just really no good as vessels and very hard and laborious to taint. This is why chaos opts to go with trickery over taint.

Psychic powers in 40k have an almost direct correlation to the individuals presence in the warp. A psycher has a greater registration and greater access to the warp thereby able to tap its power, the eldar as a race are more psychicly attuned and even orks have a collective psychic build up, the waaagh. Tau on the other hand are so insignificant it is doubtable that they even get dream like premonitions or any of the very minor psychic manifestations. A normal human cannot be a psycher, Tau having a much smaller presence on the warp obviously are even farther from psychic abilities. They are not pariahs, which are psychic nulls which some people can be confused about (heck I know I was for a while) but they just do not have the connection to the warp needed for psychic abilities.

Other races in the Tau empire on the other hand are psychers, I think the Nicassar are the foremost one, you do not see these in 40k because they are also very frail and could not live in the atmposphere. So unless GW allows the Tau to bring in gue'vesa psychers or creates a new psychic ally race it is doubtable that the Tau will ever get a psycher unit, and almost certainly not one of the Tau race... though as this is GW it is impossible to say with absolute certainty, the Tau are in their first edition and GW may do something radical and crazy yet... I hope not.

Old 20 Nov 2005, 00:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Why do you fear radical and crazy... Wouldn't this cause you too revaluate all of your tactics basically letting you have an entire new army without the bang of the GW buck. (Seriously 20$ for a single kroxigor)

I got owned by Wargamer, crazedmongoose2003 in Br and finally the inquisition during April 1st.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 01:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

> I have an odd and rather inflammatory take on this.. so brace yourself:

...because Psychic and chaos is a HUMAN hell/daemon/power. (Im gonna ignore the Eldar Slaanesh for a moment) Daemons and chaos powers derive from the collective subconscious and dreams of uncounted billions of humanity over the entire galaxy. chaotic powers of greed evolved out of a sea of greed festering in the minds of humanity... and sprang to life. bloodshed and bloodlust came from... you guessed it... humanities own dark secret desires.

so then, how can a truly alien species be affected by such human dark powers?? or even be a part of it? or want to explore it?
Old 20 Nov 2005, 05:23   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Are Ethereals stupid?

But Tyranids and Orks also have the ability to harness the warp...* And the Old Ones were mastering it eons before humanity even existed. It is a valid argument that humanity helped to spawn the known Chaos Gods, but they didn't create the Warp itself.

I doubt that Psychic ability has anything to do with intelligence, per say, but rather some less tangible quantity.* Vash's explanation was solid.* It is a species' connection to the warp that determines psychic ability, but what it is that generates that connection is unclear.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 05:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Maybe the "space pope" will have some psychic powers.

...and if not, he still has the hover chair!

(For those of you, who don't know who the "space pope" is...http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/52309101.jpg)

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 05:29   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Perhaps. I assume everyone has been doing their civic duty and spread that name to as many different forums as possible? We need it to be pseudo-official by the time he is released.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 05:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hahaha, I use it at both of my local game stores. Everyone gave me the strangest look when I said "my space pope is going to....!"

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 05:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to [something clever]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aun_shaun
Why don't Tau have a single measly psychic power? What does Warp travel have to do with it?
Because that's precisely what makes them different. Would the Tau still be fun to play if they had all the same strengths and weaknesses of an IG army? or any other army for that matter?

The answer's no.
Closed Thread