Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

tau martial arts...... bring on the katana
Closed Thread
Old 19 Nov 2005, 18:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default tau martial arts...... bring on the katana

as far as Ive heard, tau are bad in close combat, very bad even. but for some reason ethereals are brilliant(fluffwise)! like aun'shi.* ;D

where do they get their skills from? their local karate club? no idea, but i like their katanas, they are brill!* ???
so the questions are: why? how? when?* now it's thinking time....

join the iron maiden cult, for iron maiden!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=19802.0
Old 19 Nov 2005, 18:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: tau martial art...... bring on the katana

well the only place ive seen katanas on tau is that picture in the rule book, which ive never liked. ethereals aren't really that good, im guessing they are better due to their duels. when two ethreals disagree then sometimes they relly on a duel to settle the issue. these duels involve out-sparing the opponent with honour blades. these duels require alot of skill and go at a very fast pace but are completely blood-less.(no the tau don't hold ethereal gladiator fights)

Old 19 Nov 2005, 18:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Skyblazer

The Tau codex makes mention of academies for ethereals, so that may be were they learn their martial arts.
Old 19 Nov 2005, 18:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

The Tau Etherals use a staff weapon known as honour blades in very stylized ritualistic duels to resolve disputes amongst themselves. *Much like katas, it's not hard to take it from being a ritualized form of a real fight and actually make it into a real set of combat moves. *Katas after all are intended only for the practice of a series of moves.
Old 19 Nov 2005, 18:53   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, I would guess that the Ethereals use martial arts as a form of training. *Since they themselves are never expected to have to fight unless attacked, there is little reason for them to learn marksmanship. *To be able to lead in a martial culture demands some understanding of how physical prowess commands respect, however. *I think the honor blade is a way in which the Ethereals achieve this. *It is important to note that we only know the Tau's opinion on close-combat as it applies to war. *They may have no problem with it at all in other areas of their culture. *For all we know. martial arts in one form or another may be common in physical training throughout the Fire Caste as well, although they are of course not very good at it. *
Old 19 Nov 2005, 21:08   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

If a close combat fight got really sticky, the Tal'issera bonding blade might come in useful. Katanas would just be stupid.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 00:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: tau martial arts...... bring on the katana

Yes I know that the main dissadvantage and the reason that tau are fair is that they suck at cc. But wouldn't it be nice if their was an ethereal who just boosted the ability to last in close combat not to inflict casulties.think of an Etheral who's saving a fire warrior by pushing him out of the way or who decapitates an enemy just before it strikes.

I got owned by Wargamer, crazedmongoose2003 in Br and finally the inquisition during April 1st.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 00:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

It could be that fire Fire caste practice a highly ritualized form of close combat, such as Iaido, that is considered a higher form of fighting by the society but doesn't really work in combat. It could be used more for disciplinary purposes than fighting.

As for Tau being bad in combat, they're just guardsmen with no special weapons - but they do have 4+ saves. With the combat system being what it is, there's always a chance for you to win. Of course, you're much better off shooting str 5 rifles!
Old 20 Nov 2005, 00:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I often forget how lucky I am to have +4 saves. But another question... What do fire warriors hurt people with. If I massacre an IG squad with my fire warriors what does that mean fluff wise? Did my guy accidently poke them in the eye? Or do all my guys have really long finger nails.

I got owned by Wargamer, crazedmongoose2003 in Br and finally the inquisition during April 1st.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 03:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to snipin_joe

They'd just bash the Gue'la over the head with the awesomeness that is a pulse rifle!