Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kamikaze?
View Poll Results: Do you kamikaze your Helios and Sunforge to take out a sqaud of Termies or a Leman Russ, or do you t
Kamikaze 7 38.89%
Conservative 11 61.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 19 Nov 2005, 05:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire
Default Kamikaze?

I just thought it would be interesting to know what you do. Usually I'll try to keep them safe, but if there is a Leman Russ blowing my army from here to the moon... well, Mr.Sunforge did it for the Greater Good.

Tyrehire

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 19 Nov 2005, 05:35   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Kamikaze?

It depends on the opponent, as I am sure you have noticed.* The Fusion Blaster takes a few turns to get into position.* If there is little terrain on the table and your opponent is wont to rely heavily on his armor, it may be worth it to deep-strike a suicide Helios behind his lines.* His chances of survival in this case are really about the same, and he can potentially knock out the enemy before they can do as much damage as if you had snuck up along the flank.* That said, reserves rolls are a hard thing to have to count on in a pinch.* *:

I generally try to position my deep-striking Fusion Blaster suits in such a way as to give them LOS only to the target vehicle.* The idea here is that the wreck will block line-of-sight against any return fire from other enemies.* Another option is to sacrifice a turn of firing and hide in order to take full advantage of the assault move.* A third tactic is to infiltrate some Kroot to back up the suits and protect them from assault.* Again, you are relying on good reserves rolls, but it is worth it if you can take out those Leman Russ early.*
Old 19 Nov 2005, 05:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Hehe, I use my Helios Shas'O in a fairly parodoxical way. Aggresive he is but also very conservative. Guarded heavily by all sorts and from all directions, centered at my army or floating around the rear awaiting deep striking termies he is always well protected threatened mostly by suicidal assasines and scattering ordanance. Strange as this may be it works. I really never use kamikaze units, particularly not one as valuable and versatile as the Helios. Still using such a unit concervatively is difficult but that is why the helios is better left to commanders and the sun forge is best used in conjunction with other suits or carefull deep striking. On regular suits the kamikaze is more difficult to avoid but with IC you can use such configurations in unusual and interesting ways.

Old 19 Nov 2005, 06:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to gego_cybor1

Kamikaze for sure

Although I dont play with my own army, I use one of my friends and his is 2 twin linked fusion blaster crisis each with shield generators. The friend I play against is Armoured Company Imperium with tons of special rules that screw me up a lot. So many rules that I dont bother to look them up but I do sometimes. Back on topic. I usually just use those 2 crisis and deep strike behind his Leman Russ and Demolisher. Alrhough he usually has a tech priest back there, I get as close as possible and fire away! I usually take out at least 1 tank but I sometimes take out 3 or 4 if I am lucky. That helps me a lot but once the tanks are gone my crisis are pretty screwed...

Shas'ui Tau'Ken had been ordered to deep strike into enemy territory. He had blasted off into the air with his jetpack and had landed close to the back of the Gue'la tank. The clunky and battered tank had not been able to bring its guns to bear in time. The Shas'ui had quickly fired off a round off his Fusion Blaster and had penetrated the tank's armour with ease. He could hear the screams of burning and trapped Gue'la inside the tank and felt sorry for them. As he turned to look for another Gue'la target to hit, he saw his Shas'ui brother explode into flames from a Lascannon shot. The Shas'ui stayed calm and wispered to himself that it was all for the Tau'va. As he turned to face the Gue'la gun, he found himself staring at a countless number of crude but deadly Gue'la tanks aiming thier guns at him. Without thinking he pulled the trigger on the Fusion Blaster and kept hold of it as a Lascannon shot struck his suit and he began to fall. Other shots hit him and as his body began to burn from the flames off the melting crisis battlesuit, all he could think of was the Tau'va and how he had done his part. Still holding the trigger of the Fusion Blaster, Shas'ui Tau'Ken limbs broke apart and all went black for him. He had destroyed five of the Gue'la tanks.

Kamikaze for the Greater Good.

PS Thats my first time writing fluff ;D

Join the Tauonline Runescape Clan!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?board=90.0
I'm a Leader
Old 19 Nov 2005, 07:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gego_cybor1
PS Thats my first time writing fluff* ;D
We couldn't tell.

Tau do not recognize the concept of expendable troops, and niether do I. Under most circumstances I try to make every individual engagement with the enemy inflict minimal casualties upon myself. I can do this because of my mobility; engaging and destroying one part of the enemy army at a time.

Sunforge don't really fit into my overall battle plan as yet... I wouldn't leave them on the shelf forever, however.
Old 19 Nov 2005, 09:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire

I understand that Tau are conservative by nature, but if, with a 56 point Sunforge, you have the option of potentially destroying or critically injuring one of the opponents limited Armour Support, why not? You will make 3x the points back, and... I hope Sunforges come with Shield Generators - or ejector seats!

Tyrehire

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 19 Nov 2005, 11:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Everyone who answered this should be ashamed. By answering the question, you are reinforcing the underlying theory that it is impossible to be agressive without going kamikaze. This is pure antelope dung. We do not need to choose between hiding in out own half of the board and being blown to bits in the next shooting phase....except on planet bowling ball.

With a 12" total move, it's perfectly possible to advance towards the enemy without exposing yourself to fire. Only a 6" move is short enough to leave you out in the open between bits of terrain. 12" is a quarter of the way across most boards. If the majority of the open spaces are bigger than this, you are not using the amount of terrain that GW had in mind. I can see some relatively open areas here and there around the board, but if there is so little terrain that crisis suits have to choose between deepstriking and spending the entire game tied to a single piece of terrain...that's not at all in the spirit of the game.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 19 Nov 2005, 11:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

*raises hand*

What are the Helios and Sunforge pattern suits? Whats the configuration?
Old 19 Nov 2005, 13:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

here's a link to most of the XV-8 nicknames that are used here.
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=8260.0

a helios is a suit with fusion blaster and plasma rifle, a sunforge sports two fusion blasters. they both of course have some other equipment, too, but this is the weapons layout.

hope it helps!
Old 19 Nov 2005, 16:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

"when the time is right" only thing i have to say
Closed Thread