Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My tau army
Closed Thread
Old 18 Nov 2005, 00:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default My tau army

Im thinking of getting the basic, two FW squads and a crisis suit commander... but then what? I dont much like the Kroot, and i dont see the point of pathfinders...
Old 18 Nov 2005, 01:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default Re: My tau army

No point to Pathfinders?!

Sacrilage!

Duuude... you can launch Seeker missiles with them, give models BS5 (very good), and deny them cover saves! See the Tau FAQ on GamesWorkshop's site for more info on this...

What would I reccomend? When building an army think about how:

You will handle 2+ saves

Handle swarms of light infantry

Handle AV 10 - 12

Handle AV 13 - 14

Thats me. Think about how well an upgrade could help, think about how often it is going to be used, and think about how an upgrade could hurt other models in your army.

Take Shas'vre upgrade on a Crisis suit. Yay! now your almost as good at CC as a Marine... kinda... sorta... maybe...

Tau don't get into CC. Shas'vre offers nothing. Take a Team leader upgrade if you want to hardwire something...

Another upgrade is Shas'ui on a normal FW. This is an ok idea, Ld 8 makes them almost 20% less likely to run away. like crying babies.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 18 Nov 2005, 01:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

You can equiped FW team leaders with marker lights for seeker missiles, and i cant get seekers from forge world.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 01:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

FWs are for shooting Pulse rifles.

Pathfinders arn't going to be useful until 1,000 - 1,500 pts BTW

Seekers are mounted on vehicles as an upgrade... don't you have the codex?

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 18 Nov 2005, 02:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Stealth suits and hammerheads. That should be your next step. Those (hammerheads especially) are key units that you can always use.

After that, you can play around with some more crisis suits perhaps. I like kroot a lot, but if you don't, you don't. Pathfinders are real favorite for some people, but I find them a waste. You can easily make an effective list without pathfinders....trying to make a great list without hammerheads would be tough.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 02:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Earlydawn

Stealths are a great way to go after you feel comfortable with your firewarrior core. Crisis suits are also critical, especially considering that they're the closest Tau parallel to a special weapons trooper / heavy weapons team. You'll want one suited to taking out Light Vehicles / Heavy Infantry, and possibly a "swarm" control suit.

After that, think about a hammerhead or broadside team for anti-armor. Later on, get some pathfinders once you peak 1000 points.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 13:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnas
You can equiped FW team leaders with marker lights for seeker missiles, and i cant get seekers from forge world.
You don't have to get the seekers from Forge World...I myself made my seekers completely from Green Stuff, and they look fine (not as bulky as FW's seakers). Just makes sure that they can fit into the underside of the Devilfish/Hammerhead, that's all...
Old 18 Nov 2005, 13:26   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

That's a good starting point. In my opion i would wait for the new codex before adding too much so if the rules change you can go from there. If you can't wait i'd suggest adding a squad of stealth suits( new ones look like they can carry fusion not just burst cannons) and maybe a hammerhead for taking out enemy armour. You don't need kroot and go for the tau purist view but might be a little harder to play.
Closed Thread