Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BATREP]: Ultramarines vs Tau, 1500 points
Old 17 Nov 2005, 05:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default [BATREP]: Ultramarines vs Tau, 1500 points

I've been a bit busy, but I've finally gotten around to posting up my Battle Report from Saturday's casual gaming.* I started working with a different program to do the graphics, but it was terribly cumbersome, so this week will still be using MS Paint....which means you'll need to use your imaginations a bit to make sense of everything.

My list:

Shas'el
TL Plasma, Fusion, HW Multi
Shas'el
TL Plasma, Fusion, HW Multi

3 Deathrain Suits
4 Stealth
4 Stealth

6 Firewarriors
16 Kroot
16 Kroot
16 Kroot

Railhead
Multi, Decoy, Disruption, Target Lock
Railhead
Ionhead

My opponent was using Ultramarines, with a list along these lines (not 100% accurate):

Chaplain (3 wounds, I think) with bionics and meltabombs
Tigurius (special librarian character)* with some vortex and wrath powers

Venerable Dread with Assault Cannon, extra armor
5 Assault Terminators, 2 with hammers, 3 with claws
5 Terminators, 1 with Assault Cannon, with with cyclone missile launcher

1 Landspeeder with HB and Assault Cannon

10 man tac squad with flamer, plasma gun
10 man tac squad with plasma cannon
5 man scout squad with BP/CCW and teleport homer

1 Predator with TL Lascannons and (I think) HB sponsons

Mission was Take and Hold, Gamma, with a small crater in the center serving as the objective.* Board looked like this:

And after deployment:

He had his termies and landspeeder in reserve.* I won the roll for first turn, and took it.

TURN 1: TAU

Not a lot for me to do, unfortunately.* Almost wiped out his scout squad, but I couldn't quite jump out far enough to get a bead on the last guy.* Blew up his predator with an across the board shot.* Nothing spectacular, but a solid round's work.

TURN 1: Ultramarines

Most stuff moves forward on the marine side.* Plasma cannon misses.* Dread kills a few kroot, Tigirius sucks a kroot down the vortex.* Not sure why he moved that independant character up all alone, but he did.*

TURN 2: Tau

I figured this would be the perfect oppotunity to nuke Tigerius, so I move LOTS of stuff up into position.* 58 kroot shots, 12 stealth shots, a plasma shot and 2 railgun shots later, Tigerius still has a wound left.* WTF?* My Ionhead kills a tac marine, and the deathrains are out of range.* Meh.* Time to see what drops in....

TURN 2: Ultramarines

Terminators and speeder come in.* Kills a bunch of kroot, forcing one squad to flee off the board.* Great.* Assault cannons and cyclone manage to shake a Railhead.

TURN 3: Tau

The mass of kroot finally bring Tigerius down.* I figure the dreadnaught will be the easiest assault cannon to silence, so I'll take it out first.* Not great overall, but I immobilize it and stun it for a turn, at least.* Not too great at killing the termies.

TURN 3: Ultramarines

Assault marines come in.* Plasma cannon kills himself shooting at my railhead.* Good times.* Not sure how, but my notes mention the chaplain killed a stealth suit with a bolt pistol shot, so he must have been fairly close...hence his amazing movement on the map.* The remaining terms stun the Railhead.

TURN 4: Tau

Lots of shooting this turn.* Submunition kills two assault termies, massed fire brings another down.* Fusion blaster misses the chaplain, rosarius saves both plasma wounds.* *:* Massed fire brings tactical and terminator squads down a bit more.

TURN 4: Ultramarines

The dreadnaught is no longer stunned.* He and the remaining tactical marines butcher some kroot.* The terminators miss the hammerhead, while the chaplain and assault termies easily tear their targets apart in melee.

TURN 5: Tau

Starting the mop-up operations at this point, and consolidation towards the middle.

TURN 5: Ultramarines

Blows the railgun off of a hammerhead.* Tacs moving in.

TURN 6: Tau

Dang.* Couldn't get that tac squad below half.* Will still remain outside of target.

TURN 6: Ultramarines

Yeah....they wipe out the 3 man stealth team with rapid fire.*

We didn't tally up the points, but considering I had 3 hammerheads and a stealth team on the objective, I think I won pretty decisively.

Thoughts:

Command suits.* Man, I missed several fusion shots with these guys.* When you have them, you want to use them, but if they miss, you're awfully vulnerable.* Still, I found the HQ suit configuration pretty handy overall.* Not so useful against non Meq armies, as I found out from my tourney, but nice to have when you do bump into them.

Kroot.* Once again, great troopers.* The mass of fire these guys can put out is incredible, and infiltration is great.* I still can't believe Tigerius took so long to kill.....

Hammerheads.* Great as always.* I found target locks very useful on these guys...it certainly allowed me more freedom in targetting, which helped greatly (couldn't fit in all the different firing lines on the diagrams, so you won't see how often I used this.* Believe me, it was lots).

Deathrain:* The inverse of my HQ suits.* Proved great against non-Meqs, not so great against them.* Weren't in the greatest postion, so they didn't get a real chance to shine.* Still, did well overall, and I'll certainly keep them at this points.

Firewarriors: about what I expected.

Stealth suits:* Pretty handy overall.* Man, though, what is it with me and their saves?* That squad took four total wounds....1 from the chaplain and three on the last turn, and they failed them all.* They failed all their saves at the tournament, too!* I always hate when people complain about superstitious stuff, and cursed units/dice, but man, I'm documenting this stuff....it's not selective memory, these guys just die!

This was my first time facing multiple dropping termies.* They were tougher than I expected (and I expected them to be tough), but still pretty easy to deal with.* The assault guys, especially, weren't much of a threat.....much too slow.* I think my opponent's list wasn't quite as efficient as mine was, and some of his tactics were questionable (why didn't he take Fear of the Darkness, for example, to scare off my kroot?* Why did he run his characters up all alone?).* Still, a clean victory that shows how mobile Tau units can outmanuever and outgun slower marines.
foxxpetronivs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2005, 13:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: [BATREP]: Ultramarines vs Tau, 1500 points

Now that's how a Battle Report should be written out! Great work! Have a Karma Cookie! ;D

[size=7pt]Every one else: Take notes![/size]
Shasel_Aunat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2005, 13:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Indeed. Very interesting and easy to follow with multiple diagrams.

I now understand why I have yet to see assault terminators in combat.
DireStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2005, 15:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike
I now understand why I have yet to see assault terminators in combat.
Yeah, they're not the best unit for general duty. Awfully expensive, and awfully slow. Still, if you're playing the regular assaulty enemies, they can be a handful to deal with. Furious charge lightning claws can shred just about anything.

The problem, of course, is getting those claws to catch something fast, like Eldar or Tau. Just sitting ducks at that point.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 15:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

What program did you use to make those diagrams? I find them extremely helpful, and the only thing I've discovered on my computer that can do that sort of thing is word, and .doc files can't be uploaded here.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 16:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

It's a bit of a pain, really. I use Microsoft Paint.....the stupid drawing program that comes standard with Windows. I draw them all up as bitmaps...I think 750x500 pixels. Any wider and you have to scroll sideways to read, which sucks.

After drawing them all as bitmaps, I go back and save them all as jpg. I tried saving them only as jpgs from the start, but it didn't work well. Each time you save as a jpg, it changes the colors a bit, and over time, those changes compound into a real pain.

Anyway, I then upload the pictures to my photobucket account. Type up the report, paste in the photobucket image links, and you're done.

I think powerpoint would work much better, as you can easily select objects, rotate them, and move them. I just don't have it on my home computer
Old 17 Nov 2005, 16:00   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Great report. *Now I'm not going to add an assault terminator squad in my UM army *^-^
GUN5H311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2005, 17:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUN5H311
Great report. *Now I'm not going to add an assault terminator squad in my UM army *^-^
No? C'mon...they raped that 60 point firewarrior squad!
Old 17 Nov 2005, 19:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I guess I should make my battle reports like this. I love it.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Black Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2007, 21:31   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUN5H311
Great report.  Now I'm not going to add an assault terminator squad in my UM army  ^-^
well, to be honest...this isnt the army what termies want to fight.. you hit skimmers only on sixes, so that the guy attacked skimmers, well..
Also, there were no units that are really expensive.. the Tau had quite some units, all low on point costs (as is quite comming for elites and HQ), therefore.. if they termies assaulted anything else.. they would only kill a 100 pts worth unit, while the rest manouverd out the way (all the skimmers/jumpshootjumps)...

I think termies can do quite the damage, though u need to plan ahead and really think, if you want to make em worthwhile :
k0102 is offline   Reply With Quote