Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Getting out of a close combat ?
Closed Thread
Old 16 Nov 2005, 16:35   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Getting out of a close combat ?

Hi everybody,

a simple question: how do you get out of a close combat?
I mean - if you fail your morale check - you still have to do the thing with the initiative-check, right?
If the sum of initiative + 1D6 is lower than of the one of your opponent, all units will be killed instantly (units will get overrun). So why should I want to take the risk of re-rolling a passed morale check (with the help of a aun)? Or is there a way to get out of close combat AND survive ?
Old 16 Nov 2005, 16:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Getting out of a close combat ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
Hi everybody,

I mean -* if you fail your morale check - you still have to do the thing with the initiative-check, right?
If the sum of initiative + 1D6 is lower than of the one of your opponent, all units will be killed instantly (units will get overrun). So why should I want to take the risk of re-rolling a passed morale check (with the help of a aun)? Or is there a way to get out of close combat AND survive ?
Some think itīs better to lose the squad on enemy assault phase, that way they are standing on open when itīs your turn to shoot them.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 16:49   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The only way of getting out of combat and not get overrun is pray that they get a 1 on there dice or you win the combat (this is tau they won't win :'()

coun'bei
Old 16 Nov 2005, 19:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

One tip is to always remove casualties from those models in BTB contact, if they all die ( you have no models in BTB ) and you fail your break test he can not run you down when you take off- just be sure to roll higher than a 3 on 2d6 or he will consolidate into you.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 20:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Drones, thats how.

One way is to keep a squadron floating around your Firewarriors or suits, When the Firewarriors get into close combat charge the drones in and have the Firewarriors fall back. The enemy is still locked and so the Firewarriors or suits can break away without having to wory about getting run down and your only out a few drones.

Another way is to have the drones attatched to the Firewarrior squad. Upgrade the squad with a shas'ui team leader and give him a hardwired drone controller and 2 gun drones. Have both drones right out in front of the squad at full 2" coherency from the squad and each other, one drone infront of the other so the one farther out is 4" away. This means that an assaulting squad kills the drones first and suddenly your not locked anymore.

Drones are the best way for getting out of cc in my oppinion. They are the least costly anyway and dont relly on simply letting an entire unit of Firewarriors get turned into pulp.

Oh as a clarification even if you tie the dice rolls with the enemy you still die. Say your getting away from a tactical squad with I 4. You have I 2 and roll a 6. He rolls a 4, your still dead despite an 8 to 8 tie.

So in short, dont get into cc but if it does happen drones are what I find to be the best solution.

Old 16 Nov 2005, 20:13   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Hi everybody,

I mean -* if you fail your morale check - you still have to do the thing with the initiative-check, right?
This is a poorly understood rule. Sweeping advances only occur when you have surviving models in base-to-base and you lose. Generally, you should lose all models in base contact and hopefully any within 2". That way, it is impossible for your enemy to sweeping advance or consolidate into you if you roll low on 2d6 to flee. This is why we use the Ethereal to reroll successful tests, and then use him to try to pass the test to regroup during your turn, ready for some rapid-fire vengence!
Old 18 Nov 2005, 10:43   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Another way is to have the drones attatched to the Firewarrior squad. Upgrade the squad with a shas'ui team leader and give him a hardwired drone controller and 2 gun drones. Have both drones right out in front of the squad at full 2" coherency from the squad and each other, one drone infront of the other so the one farther out is 4" away. This means that an assaulting squad kills the drones first and suddenly your not locked anymore.
thanx for the tip, however, I think this would also be possible without drones (less points) - I mean, you could play the same trick with two firewariors in front - each one 2" from the other the whole squad will still be in formation, and if the first two are killed (unfortunatly for them very likely :'( ) - you are not locked in close combat.

Old 18 Nov 2005, 11:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
thanx for the tip, however, I think this would also be possible without drones (less points) - I mean, you could play the same trick with two firewariors in front - each one 2" from* the other* the whole squad will still be in formation, and if the first two are killed (unfortunatly for them very likely* :'( ) - you are not locked in close combat.

I think this wonīt work, as I remember it saying in pile in rules that the only case when units wonīt remain locked in CC is if after both sides pile in there is no models in base to base contact. I donīt have book with me at the moment, can someone confirm this?
Old 18 Nov 2005, 14:46   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

It is almost impossible for models to seperate from assault without one of them falling back. It generally only happens in very strange cases like complicated multiple combats. You can not escape from assault unless you fail your leadership test. If you pass it, you will have to Pile In.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 14:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to ilveIG159

dont know how to get out of it but I know how to avoid it with a fire warrior squad; shoot get in a devilfish shoot and so on

War is simply galaxy's hygiene.
Closed Thread