Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mech Tau Rocks
Closed Thread
Old 14 Nov 2005, 19:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Mech Tau Rocks

For a long long time I have been under the impression that the Tau truely are the worst army in 40K. No matter what I did my army would get the hammer every game. Heck, thats how I found this website...desprately surching the web for help. This is how I discovered the Mech Tau Tactica. I went to the MTT website thru a link from here, and there discovered the keys to Tauish victory! All I have to say is, "Holy cow it worked"! At fist I thought that Mech Tau would be a run away all game type of list (very lame if you ask me) but what I found was a very versitile style of play that lets you be aggressive, which is what I like! I was even able to squash a Necron incursion which is typically the bain of any Tau general. Any ways, I just wanted to say thanks for all the good ideas you guys have posted on this website. Keep it up, and if you haven't tried a Mech Tau list I strongly suggest it! ;D

Aaron
Old 14 Nov 2005, 20:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Re: Mech Tau Rocks

Well I've played 3 or 4 games with mech tau lists. Sometimes it works really well: When the army doesn't have enough AT weaponry. The rest of the time I've been getting solid losses, which were rare for me with my hybrid army. It takes quite a bit of time, and possibly a different type of mind than I have, to get used to this army.

Of course I have been playing a lot fewer games with my Mech army due to the fact that school has started since I got it fully up and running, and there are therefore fewer opponents available. It feels like my learning process is moving very slowly.
Old 14 Nov 2005, 21:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I do rock. Thanks for noticing.

Even though I use Broadsides...

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 14 Nov 2005, 22:17   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Yes, MechTau, you do rock.

But anyway, I've never played a Mech Tau army... I only have three battlesuits, (six counting stealths) and two tanks. And I have won or tied every game I've played. Granted the games were against an opponent on the same level as myself (somewhat lacking) but I've never had problems. I once killed a khorne berserker in CC with a Gun Drone. I was as amazed as my opponent.

But I think I'm rambling again, so I'll stop right.... here.
Old 14 Nov 2005, 23:18   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Well I did use a healthy scoop-o-kroot and one Broadside so it wasn't a purist Mech army. It worked great though and was still within the Mech guidelines. I had a total of 93 models so I was able to outnumber and outshoot my opponents. I was able to employ the FoF tactic more than once. All in all it worked out perfectly.

aaron
Old 15 Nov 2005, 06:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, I think a great number of "mech" tau armies, probably all the ones that really work, are actually hybrid. Many people who use kroot and broadsides like to call themselves mechanized simply because their firewarriors (usually one six-man squad, to make more room for crisis suits :, and rarely more than two mid-sized squads) have devilfish.

While the true definition of a mechanized tau list is "nothing moves less than 12", most people water that down to "all firewarriors have devilfish".

Therefore, most of the high praise given to "mech" armies actually belongs to hybrid >

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 15 Nov 2005, 10:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

i take an almost pure mech list (bar 10 kroot that get lugged along) and i swear by it. So long as i can run with 3 hammerheads i am happy.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 15 Nov 2005, 12:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah i am somewhat of a purist, if it aint tau, it aint in, if it cant move 12 a trun it aint in. I achieve about a 70:30 win loss ratio and even the losses dont tend to be really bad and it tends to be fun. there is nothing like seeing the enemy run down one flank only to completely redeploy to his rear... or better yet flicking on ride of the valkyries while you move 3 DF from behind some woods and unload them right under his nose.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 17:46   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Mech tau is great when you have large pieces of level-3 terrain to hide behind. I found it quite disturbing having to play on a table with a minimal amount of terrain. The small amount of terrain that did exist was of equally minimal size, and of course the opposing force had a generous amount of lascannons and missile launchers :P

Opponent gets the first turn and downs all three hammerheads on turn 1. :
Old 15 Nov 2005, 18:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Luckily, the Mech Tau Bible has a special section on how to play on planet bowling ball.

Watered-down Mech Tau rules!

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Closed Thread