Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Eldar & Tau Connection
Closed Thread
Old 12 Nov 2005, 21:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Eldar & Tau Connection

I'm just wondering what people think about the relationship between the Tau and the Eldar. I was sparked into remembering this line of thinking when I saw a list of new models for the Tau. It occurred to me that we have one of the best tanks in the game, and we're getting a line of fast-attack vehicles. Isn't that awefully like Eldar? Anyone see a small eldar resemblance in the Vespid? Anyone wonder about why we have NO psychic powers?
Old 12 Nov 2005, 21:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Eldar & Tau Connection

There was an interesting quote I read, either in the Codex or a White Dwarf issue back when the Eye of Terror Campaign was running. It was by an Eldar Farseer (The one that died in the campaign :\) and alluded to some sort of potential future alliance, but also that the Eldar might be 'watching over' the Tau..

Both races do have their similiarities, I think that Eldar might just be doing something to help the Tau along..
Old 12 Nov 2005, 22:30   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

You're right it was Eldrad Ulthran, and his quote is in the Tau codex pg. 61. Stealthpredator
Old 13 Nov 2005, 02:22   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim
I'm just wondering what people think about the relationship between the Tau and the Eldar. I was sparked into remembering this line of thinking when I saw a list of new models for the Tau. It occurred to me that we have one of the best tanks in the game, and we're getting a line of fast-attack vehicles. Isn't that awefully like Eldar? Anyone see a small eldar resemblance in the Vespid? Anyone wonder about why we have NO psychic powers?
While both Tau and Eldar have hover-tanks, the way in which we employ them is very different. The fact that all of our skimmers are slow makes a big difference in terms of how they can be used. The Eldar have few Rapid-fire weapons and relatively poor armor, so a forward drop means less. GW has had to be very careful with Tau, making sure that they don't infringe too much on the Eldar and Dark Eldar's manueverabilty.

Ulthran referred to a personal interest in the Tau. It is uncertain what, if any, official position the Eldar have taken in regard to the Tau, especially after the death of Ulthran himself.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 03:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to snipin_joe

Also, don't forget that eldar has propulsion based solely on grav-tec, the tau however, need extra rocket motors to move forward.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 04:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

How did Eldrad die? Eye of Terror was so long ago :-\

And I thought the Tau had mastered hover tech., not just "strap this extra rocket onto that tank to compensate for the weight". That seems awfully Ork to me. lol

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
Old 13 Nov 2005, 05:00   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Eldrad's soul got sucked into something or other on board one of Abaddon's Blackstone Fortresses. Squish.

Tau anti-grav technology is far behind what the Eldar have achieved, but it is still a significant achievement. Lift seems to be achieved through anti-grav, but propulsion is handled mainly by thrusters. It should be noted that drones are relatively fast, but do not have large thrusters. It is not precisely true that Eldar have eliminated this need, though. Eldar anti-grav vehicles (and Imperial Land Speeders) also require thrusters in addition to their anti-grav systems, although the mechanisms in these are probably more complex than what the Tau use.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 05:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Ah, thanks for locating that quote.

It was probably just personal interest. And then GW killed him in EOT.

The way I see it, Eldar tanks are fast moving, and thats how they maintain hovering etc, whilst Tau tanks are more hover tanks, that float slowly above the ground with thrusters to propel them. Basically I'm comparing Eldar Tanks to F16's and Tau Tanks to Harrier Jets.

Due to the relatively vagueness of this matter, I think it is entirely possible that the warp storm was caused by Eldar, and maybe they gave the Tau a little helping hand when they started off, and since then, they have gone their own way with their technology, developing railguns, better armour etc, on their own, without help from Eldar. Though maybe a little bit of borrowing grav-tech from them. All though the chain of things happening, such as the warp storm, appearance of ethereals etc, might suggest a greater force involved...

Oh, and those new Sniper drone teams, the drone controller guy and his computer resembles the helmet of an Eldar Wraithlord..
Old 13 Nov 2005, 14:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

[conspiracy nut] And the Waveserpent has a Tau-ish turret! Not to mention that both marines and aspect warriors also both wear boots![/conspiracy nut]

Though there is another Tau Eldar connection in that apparently Alaitoc diverted a waagh away from the fledgling empire, think the Demiurg have also talked with the Eldar on the Tau's behalf as well. However I don't think the connection goes much further than a potential future asset, its highly unlikely the Eldar engineered the Tau or that they are starting to feel the sociological clock and start to create races like the Old Ones did.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 14:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

They did more than divert Waaagh! Scraghurtz, they destroyed it!

Of any of the major Craftworlds, it's most likely that the Alaitoc would have the most interest in this rising power in the Eastern Fringe. Iyanden is too weak to get involved beyond their shores (and seem not to be asking other Craftworlds or Exodite colonies for new inhabitants - a pretty essential event for Iyanden to stave off extinction... and you can be sure that Biel-Tan would only be too happy to aid their troubled brethren, all the better to reconquer the stars!), Ulthwé is too busy in its own neck of the woods, Saim-hann is too, erm, feral and Biel-Tan are planning to reclaim the galaxy, not preparing to hand it over to a usurper race (although it hasn't been specified what the Biel-Tan would think of the Tau - who emerged far from the old Eldar Empire's frontiers in any event)

The fluff in the new CPF pdf has the Demiurg call in a few favours among the Alaitoc when Scraghurtz was bearing down on the Tau Empire, it's quite likely that the Alaitoc would use the Bentu'sin as intermediaries when necessary - and that the Alaitoc would have Rangers wandering around worlds such as Dal'yth Prime (indeed Epic Swordwind explicitly mentions Rangers wandering the Sept worlds of the Tau, among other inhabited planets)

I'd wager that a Farseer (or group of Seers) on Alaitoc was responsible for the warp storms which protected T'au from the Explorator ships back in the day, either ating in concert with others or on their own initiative (remember that the Alaitoc don't isolate themselves from every other race, they did maintain diplomatic contact with the Imperium for quite some time, and it seems that they are on speaking terms with the Demiurg, and possibly have an embassy on Dal'yth or T'au)

Gary

Gue'senshi: The 1st Kleistian Grenadiers(edited on 06 April 2006)
v7.3 pdf

Human armed forces for the greater good.
Closed Thread