Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How many Marines should a RailHead cover?
Closed Thread
Old 12 Nov 2005, 11:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default How many Marines should a RailHead cover?

HammerHead Q:
When shooting at Marines in their Power Armour, how many shall statistically be under the the large template before choosing the Subminition shot instead of the Solid shot? (sorry if this topic has been up and around before)

-Khelben
I'll stare the xxxxxxx in the face as he screams to God, and I'll laugh harder when he whimpers like a baby. And when his eyes go dead, the hell I send him to will seem like heaven after what I've done to him.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 11:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: How many Marines should a RailHead cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelben
HammerHead Q:
When shooting at Marines in their Power Armour, how many shall statistically be under the the large template before choosing the Subminition shot instead of the Solid shot? (sorry if this topic has been up and around before)

-Khelben
Well considering marines fail there save 1/3 of the time and both weapons would on a 2+, you should be able to estimate this yourself!

2005 record:
SVA: winning Faction
London Conflict: 3rd Place
GT Heat 2: 4th Place
Warfare 2005: tournament winner
Old 12 Nov 2005, 13:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

3, unless they have more than one wound, like a hero or something. bascily a submuntition will kill one third of every marine there, a solid shot will kill off one entire marine, no matter how many there are. usually submuntion is the best.

Old 12 Nov 2005, 13:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
3, unless they have more than one wound, like a hero or something. bascily a submuntition will kill one third of every marine there, a solid shot will kill off one entire marine, no matter how many there are. usually submuntion is the best.
Thx Elessar. Always nice to get a nice answer..

I guess the math would be something like this, and do correct me if I'm wrong:
Solid Shot: One Shot (1*) To hit (2/3), to wound (5/6) and save (zip) = 0,55 Dead Marine

Submunition: One shot (1*) To hit (2/3), to wound (5/6) and a missed save (1/3) = 0,185 Dead Marine (also a third of the kill above)

All in all It's largely preferable to pick three Marines with the Submunition shot, as there is a chance that more than one will go down. If you can squeeze more than 3 underneath the template then it's that road you would want to go blowing up! Right?

-Khelben
I'll stare the xxxxxxx in the face as he screams to God, and I'll laugh harder when he whimpers like a baby. And when his eyes go dead, the hell I send him to will seem like heaven after what I've done to him.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 13:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelben
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
All in all It's largely preferable to pick three Marines with the Submunition shot, as there is a chance that more than one will go down. If you can squeeze more than 3 underneath the template then it's that road you would want to go blowing up! Right?
Definitely, and you should be able to get more than 3 under the template unless there are less than 3 in the squad, or your opponent has deployed his marines in a big line with 2" between each model. On average, assuming they are 1" apart, you should get about 5 - 6 under the template.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 14:32   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

You are using the 5" blast marker and not the 3" one aren't you? AS stated above, you can fit way more than 3 under the large blast marker.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 14:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yep...three is the magic number here...however, to equal the marine killing power of the ion head (I still prefer the railhead, trust me!), you need to fit nine under the template.an ion head should kill two, which would make you think six under the template matches the ionhead...but that assumes that the submunition has already rolled to hit...and if you're taking the to-hit roll out of the equation, you have to give the ionhead 2.5 kills. For the submunition, 9 hits equals 2.5 kills.

so 3 under the template is better than solid shot, and 9 under the template is better than ionhead. I'd say equal, but while the averages are the same, the potential is greater with more dice being rolled.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Closed Thread