Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau being lousy shots...
Closed Thread
Old 10 Nov 2005, 05:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default Tau being lousy shots...

Why is it that you need 16 years of fighting (Shas'la < Shas'ui < Battlesuit Shas'ui < Shas'vre < Commander, each step taking four years) to have a better than half chance of a hit hitting its intended target.

Its not like Shas'la have to train in CC. They train marching and shooting. So, why can't a Shas'ui (A highly competant soldier in his own right) hit a target as well as a fresh recruit?

They have a targeter on the gun. They have god knows what in their helmets. So, why do they have BS 3 FOR 15 years of their life in the armed forces?

Makes no sence to me...

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 10 Nov 2005, 06:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Tau being lousy shots...

This has been discussed many times before. Here's just one of the old threads:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=7850.0

Basically, BS3 is already good ('troopers with high firing discipline&#39. BS4 is extremely good/elitist marine good. They aren't space marines, so they don't have BS4.

Though, the new Tau codex might bring some changes to this..
Old 10 Nov 2005, 10:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Give a Fire Warrior BS4 as well as a strength 5 standard gun and what do you get? Overkill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 10 Nov 2005, 10:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah...they're no better or worse than IG...who are themselves supposed to be much better than today's "average" soldier. They're certainly worse than Space Marines, who get 15 minutes of "free time" (I think they're supposed to meditate on the emperor or some other such nonsense during this time) per day and spend probably 20 hours a day training. And they're of course better than orks, who would rather club you with a gun than shoot you with it. There's nothing at all wrong with their BS. I think what really bugs you is that they don't AP space marines the way space marines AP guard!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 10 Nov 2005, 12:58   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

If Tau were Bs 4, then the basic Firewarrior would have to be 30-40pts per model... and let's not touch the Crisis Suits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 10 Nov 2005, 13:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Why is it that you need 16 years of fighting (Shas'la < Shas'ui < Battlesuit Shas'ui < Shas'vre < Commander, each step taking four years) to have a better than half chance of a hit hitting its intended target.

Its not like Shas'la have to train in CC. They train marching and shooting. So, why can't a Shas'ui (A highly competant soldier in his own right) hit a target as well as a fresh recruit?

They have a targeter on the gun. They have god knows what in their helmets. So, why do they have BS 3 FOR 15 years of their life in the armed forces?

Makes no sence to me...
you make the mistake of assuming bs3 is "crap". As do a lot of people. Bs3 is good. no, its better than good. bs3 is really, really good. BS3 is what US, or royal navy marines, marine force recon, green berets have.
Bs4 is reserved for "best warriors of their race", and in the case of the tau, it is rightly earned by the shas'el who would be in imperial terms, a cross between a veteran guardsman sergeant and a colonel. While you see a lot of bs4 in the table top game, do not forget of all of these, marines are exceptionally rare. As are sisters of battle. And the Sisters military wing is truly elite. they are all bs4 as only the ones who are this good get into it. Its the same with marines.

Honestly, there is no reason to complain. bs3 is solid. its extremely solid. Stop trying to compare your tau to a space marine, and compare him to an elite guardsman, like a cadian, which is the real comparison. Fire Warriors are not gods of combat. they're grunts. well trained grunts, and probably the equal of a lot of damn well trained guardsmen, but they're not super leet warriors. As it stands, our basic trooper has the same kil-ratio as a space marine. not something to sneeze at.

And if you get bs4 fire warriors, then i want bs5 devestators. it makes no sense to me that warriors who excel in the use of weapons, and are honoured with the role of fire support "only" shoot as well as regular "grunt marines".

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 10 Nov 2005, 15:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I'm not complaining gamewise, just maybe fluff wise.

On the other hand, we use D6... and are limited in what we can represent. D10 would be better.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 10 Nov 2005, 16:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Don't forget that Tau are nocturnal, or whatever the weird word is for ebing awake at Dawn and Dusk, and therefore have a greater number of 'rod' cells in their eyes than we do. Probably don't see as much range of colours as we do and their distance vision is likely worse. On the otherhand they will ad do see better in the dark than we do.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 17:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to zee666

Although they have super guns and only train to march and shoot, they are a young race and haven't had the time to develop their training methods.

Well people can't be per.. ooh look a penny.

No don't run, I just want to cut off your face.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 18:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee666
Although they have super guns and only train to march and shoot, they are a young race and haven't had the time to develop their training methods.
Their civilisation is older than ours at the moment, it doesn't take a genius to work out that if you practice shooting things a long way away, you will get better.
Closed Thread