Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

a problem army
Closed Thread
Old 08 Nov 2005, 17:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default a problem army

in a game i played last night i faced a 1000 point sm army that had 2 5 man tactical squads and three full strength assualt squads ( the one with jump packs) i a table quarters game. I won barley i had my one stealth suit squad of 3 in the quarter north of me and a ion head( loaded to the gills with war gear) in the one east of me he had nothing in his quarter and mine was under contest geting slaughterd the game ended only because the store was closeing

so how do we beat an army like this?

(\_/) this is a bunny
(x.x) bunny is dead
'(__)' he tastes funny hehehe
Old 08 Nov 2005, 17:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: a problem army

A little more detail on his army list (and yours) would be helpful here. Also some information on terrain would help too. Not really enough infor here to do anything except say - check the tactica links.
Old 08 Nov 2005, 17:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

no terrain
this is my entire army without leaving anything out

HQ* 1* Aun'shi* * * * *
EL* *3* stleath* * * * * *
+* *team leader* * * * *
+* *marker light* * * * *
+* *multi track* * * * * * *
TP 20 firewarriors* * *
+* * * *bonded* * * * * *
+* * * *team leader* * *
+* * * *marker light* * *
FS 7* drones* * * * * * *
* * 1markerlightdrone
* * 1 heavy drone* * *
HS1* hammer head* *
+* * *ion cannon* * * *
+* * *smart missiles* * *
+* * *every thing eles
+* 4 seeker missiles* *
* * 1 broad side* * * * *
+* *target lock

(EX 1 combat construct) note : this is an exparamental unit im working on
+* * *fusionblaster* * * *
+* * *plasma rifle* * *

(\_/) this is a bunny
(x.x) bunny is dead
Old 08 Nov 2005, 17:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to LtCariad

oops! I don't think you are allowed to put detailed point costs up here...
Old 08 Nov 2005, 17:35   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCariad
oops! I don't think you are allowed to put these figures up here...
Total Point costs for units are fine, but GW gets testy if we actually itemize army lists (wargear costs, etc.) I fixed the original post.

Against 30 assault Marines, I can't think of too many ways to prevail with a mostly static list.* Ionheads are a good pick, since they are fast and can deplete their numbers.* If you were playing Mech, I would suggest leaving your Fire Warriors outside at the beginning of the game but within 2".* Get off as many long shots as you can, and then get back in the Devilfish to preserve points when the assault squads get close or deep-strike nearby.

Facing a powergamer is never pretty.* Minimizing troops to maximise Fast Attack can be called little else.* You were playing a balanced, take-all-comers force, and sometimes those will falter against a power-gamed list designed to kill a certain type of army.

I am glad you won, though.* Victory is victory, even if it's just a game called for time.* *
Old 08 Nov 2005, 17:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartang
in a game i played last night i faced a 1000 point sm army that had* 2 5 man tactical squads and three full strength assualt squads ( the one with jump packs)
so how do we beat an army like this?
thats, what? 200 pts for the tac.s (assuming weapons eg las/plas) and 690 for the assault squad (excluding flamers, vet sarge's with p.fists etc) and i assume some commander with jump packs?

that list would not bother me. wipe out the 2 tacs with the heavy weapons. the rest of the army's ability to touch me is extremely weak. why? Because i take 5 skimmers in a 1000point list. I'd sit back at range, and focus fire on one squad at a time. and tear them to ribbons. i would not even be worried about killing all of them. just killing 6 per assault squad, and 3 per tac squad. 0 scoring units.

taking on this kind of list though with the static/semi mobile list you have is tricky. our jump troops (inc drones) lack the sheer manoeverability to get away from them. But as we all know, i do not subscribe to static warfare. mechanisation is one way to reduce this lists effectiveness!

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 08 Nov 2005, 18:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Unless they had melta bombs.... then it would get a bit tricky. Sure, they only hit you on a 6+, but when enough assault marines hit you, it's going to hurt.
Also, it would be nice to know what the tac squads had, if anything, for special weapons.
Old 08 Nov 2005, 18:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

comand was also jump and his tac squads had krack missiles

(\_/) this is a bunny
(x.x) bunny is dead
Old 08 Nov 2005, 20:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

For a hybrid list that is a relatively balanced loadout. The lack of terrain was a problem. Some cover saves would help - and it allows the JSJ tactic with your suits. You did well to pull a win - even if it was narrow. SMurfs are tough - powergame SMurfs are even tougher. Kudos for hanging in there and fighting for the win. Taking the objectives instead of slugging it out was a good call.