Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rail head underperforming!?
Closed Thread
Old 08 Nov 2005, 07:34   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Rail head underperforming!?

recently i egerly purchased 2 hammer head gunships. i was anxious to get my hands on this great rail gun everyones always talking about. i mean, c'mon.. anti-tank and infatry in one gun!? thats awsome!...
or so i thought.

well, i put a railgun on one, and to work with my 1500 list filled with battlesuits i put on an ion on the other.
now, i thought one railgun would be enough.. i didnt want to over do it.. plus im pressed for points.
ive been in about 3 games so far with it, and one of them was a mega battle. in each game, i hit rougly once out of four of five shots.... this didnt add up at all.. hitting on a 3+.. how was it possible? but each time it never failed to not hit. lol. wtf man! and it couldent have picked worse times to miss..
my ion cannon preformed exceptionaly well! decimating 3 or 4 tactical squads all on its own!!
im thinking of tearing my railgun off and replaceing it with another ion, and fixing up my 6 or 7 suits with a fusion blaster each.
cuz [EDITED] man, i need something more straight forward... my luck was really bad.... and i only had one chance.
the railhead nearly costed me the megabattle, the entire fate of the game depended on it!
i was entrusted with the special duty of guarding, and attempting to activate the titan for support. it was worth 3 victory points, and 3 for table control. where as the rest of the battles objective were only worth 1 each.
i placed the 'pie plate of doom' on the target squad i fealt was of the top most priority... armed with melta bombs and metal guns... heading stright for the titan.
of course it misses, and the squad procedes to blast my hammer head out of the air.
(in mind it missed 2 or 3 times befor this...) and took the titan down to one structure point with melta bombs... we won the battle by a single thread...
come to think of it i think i only ever got 1 pie plate of doom to detonate ever...

im really likeing the ion cannon about now... 2 more chances to hit, sure lower power but meh.. thats where my 'altered' battle suits all with a fusion sub weapons come in...

comments?

[size=7pt]Edit by Aunny: I edited the language content of your post as regarding the rules of TauOnline. Please refrain from this again. Thanks![/size]
Old 08 Nov 2005, 08:02   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Rail head underperforming!?

The submunitions are not always as effective as they might be against power armor.* The Hammerhead is really designed for a combination of anti-tank and light-infantry removal.* It is not really the best weapon in our armory for taking down regular marines.* As you noted, the Ion Cannon can excel in that role, as can our various types of Battlesuit.* Give the Railhead a chance against different types of armies, and above all always build your Hammerheads with swapable main guns.
Old 08 Nov 2005, 08:07   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

'and always build your Hammerheads with swapable main guns.'
i found the model rather difficult to mod in this way. i had no choise but to glue em.. lol.
with the model design its almost as if it was made to be un swapable to agrivate you...

i'll give the rail another chance, but if it fails me again i think im gona go full ion. perhaps invest in broadsides.... however i loath the model design... pewter rail guns.. *shudders*.... but at least theyre twin linked...
Old 08 Nov 2005, 08:13   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELPHEUS
'and always build your Hammerheads with swapable main guns.'
i found the model rather difficult to mod in this way. i had no choise but to glue em.. lol.
with the model design its almost as if it was made to be un swapable to agrivate you...

i'll give the rail another chance, but if it fails me again i think im gona go full ion. perhaps invest in broadsides....* however i loath the model design... pewter rail guns.. *shudders*....* *but at least theyre twin linked...
We have a tutorial around here somewhere. Rare-earth magnets are generally the best way to go, although pins work for a low-tech approach. The expensive-but-easy way to do it is to actually buy an extra Hammerhead sprue from mail-order (just the Railgun, not the parts for the Devilfish). You pay a bit of a premium for this, but you do get a lot of extra parts than can come in handy for conversions.

Taking two Ionheads is a little uncommon from the lists I have seen, at least against anyone besides Necrons, but let us know if works well for you. There is no harm in experimentation.
Old 08 Nov 2005, 08:51   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I have similar experiences, sure it's all going to even out over time due to statistics, but that doesn't help you in the games where luck lets you down. One solution to the problem might be to buy another hammerhead or to and place them so that they can provide additional shots if the first one misses, but then some people complain about pathfinders being expensive for just a boost in BS.

For a similar comparison I have replaced my shas'el with a sha'o because I wanted better hit probability with both weapons not just the twin linked one. I feel like it's almost always sometime during the game where you don't want to miss, my commander is primarily a tank hunter, and two pod shots and one fusion should give at least two hits to take down armour 12 and maybe 13 with one shot on 14 but at least with a high probability to hit.

The best way out of this might be not to let the hammerhead shot is as important for the battle. Multiple units with the same role might do this, weather its hammerhead or stealth’s for anti infantry or two sun forges to pop tanks. Focusing fire also gives you more shots to even out luck and the bad equivalent.

I hope this makes some kind of sense but good luck in future battles Tau brother.
Old 08 Nov 2005, 09:17   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

heh, will i really be the first to have two ions as a main stay? lol.
thanks for all the helpfull comments... im really considering them...

i just cant rely on a single BS3 shot.. (bs3 is good, but luck is unkind.)
bassically what im gona do now is 2 hh ions, 2 mech fw teams of 10 or 11 with markerlight (markelights could arguably boost the Rails BS aswell, but i thought about it and if i really need a tank dead... why not just use my highly mobile suits that are more versatile and boost their bs? especially if im within 6 inches... thats a sure kill. puts the suits at high risk for sure, but a risk im willing to take. what else are they gona do? i got firewarriors and kroot for anti infantry.....)
2 kroot teams of 11 or so... a shas o with plasma, fusion, shield, hw MT. 2 loner suits with the same setup. then a team of plasma fusions, but 2 normal guys have mts, the leader has a sheild and a hard wire mt.
sounds great to me...
and not a single stupid railgun to mess it up.. lol.
Old 08 Nov 2005, 09:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Were you me, and you're not obviously, I wouldn't want to give up on the rail gun so soon. Everyone has an unlucky streak now and then. Add a small pathfinder squad. Markerlight that railgun. The pieplate of doom is sick and wrong vs non power armoured foes. A squad of 9 dark eldar witches hiding in some rocks... markerlit railhead hit.... 1 lived. Not so shabby. Any BS is always better at 2+. Sure you could go Fusion heavy but those suits wont last long. If your enemy is as smart as you he will stand back from the kroot... wait for the FW and suits and focus on those suits.

Everyone uses tactics... the most common? Take out the heavies and tank buster weapons... if you've got suits... that's just bullet candy. Mind you, I use 1 suit... sometimes 2 in a game. Anyhow, your suits are priority one for death. Either by deepstriking or fast attack. Or if unfortunate enough to be sitting in the open... heavy fire. I guess my point is, you learned the hard way not to rely on one unit type to save your proverbial bacon... the railhead failed you... so now you're relying on crisis... Balance is better. No swings and roundabouts. And give the railhead another try you might be luckier.

I feel the secret to tau is certain combinations of units support eachother in lethal ways. One unit isn't so great by itself, but paired and supported by other units the tau dominate.

cheers

p
Old 08 Nov 2005, 09:42   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

only 1 suit? wow...

very good reply, and i took it into careful consideration. i'll give the 2 lists of mine a test run, rail and then the duel ion.. see which one i like best.
sure the suits will atract heavy fire, but if i use cover carefully.. and im happy with my 3+/4+ invulnerable suits.. reall tough to crack.

..overall im haveing a really tough time decideing on anything to finalize... theres so many factors its just overwhelming...
Old 08 Nov 2005, 10:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Modular Tanks - Hammerhead with swappable main weapons

Enjoy :P
Old 08 Nov 2005, 11:52   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

If it makes you feel any better, my rail head NEVER does anything. Not a thing. Even when markerlighted. To be fair, have some of the worlds worst luck with dice rolling, but in 30 games it has hit 5 times, and damaged something, wait for it..... once. Thats it. When I get 2 I might have better luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Closed Thread