Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fluff on "Protector"
Closed Thread
Old 07 Nov 2005, 20:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Fluff on "Protector"

Does anyone have any background/stats for the Tau Protector class starship? I'm not looking for game stats, points and such, I'm just looking for info on crew size, how many Mantas/Barracudas/Tigersharks they can carry, if that info is available in IA3. I'm looking to expand the fluff for my army, and my Shas'O and his Grand Cadre will be travelling around in a Protector or 2 (they're just a Mal'Caor long-range recon Grand Cadre, so they don't have a full fleet, just the one ship they use) to go from planet-to-planet paving the way for exploration vessels.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07 Nov 2005, 21:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Fluff on "Protector"

well there isnt any fluff. thought there ment to be a attack craft but you could use them as a base for hunter crade go for it. but it is warship not a carrier so i wouldent go to the extreme i think any thing over 20 manta or 100 barracudas exterme
Old 07 Nov 2005, 21:28   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

The Protector (or Lar'Shi'Vre) is the newest of all the Tau ships in the Commerce Protection Fleet. Imperial Armor 3 is pretty weak on fluff for individual classes, but the Protector was meant to be a match for an Imperial Cruiser (and it is). All of the larger Tau ships have flight decks, which in the case of the Protector could probably service 8-10 Mantas or 4-5 Mantas and a squadron of Barracudas.
Old 07 Nov 2005, 21:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, I know it's a small number of craft, but it works for a single Grand Cadre (about 10-50 Hunter Cadres) doing the type of reconn that my Cadres would be doing.

So 20 Mantas and 100 'Cudas? What about Tigersharks. I know in BFG they're not a unit, but they're still aircraft that would be able to be on the ship. Maybe with Tigersharks we'd have say 50 Cudas and 25 Tigersharks?

Edit: Khanaris: I kinda though the above was a bit high, but I think your estimate is a bit low, myself. Maybe 8-10 Mantas, but I would guess at least 2 Cudas per Manta, as well, plus a few Tigersharks (that again would not have been included in BFG)
Old 07 Nov 2005, 21:49   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I was just going off of Forge World's recommended models/base (squadron).* The Protector can only carry two squadrons (as opposed to the Custodian's eight), which can be either Mantas (4/Squadron) or Barracudas (5/Squadron).* This is entirely dependant on how BFG scales, though, which is always a little uncertain.* My estimate could easily be off by a factor of ten or twenty, and the scale might well work differently for Mantas and Barracudas. It is best not to look for too much precision in Gothic fluff. I think it is probably up to you to decide how much your ship can carry.* If it was designed for solo exploration, it could well have been modified to use extra flight decks.

I agree with your estimate for Tiger Sharks.* They aren't really designed for Space Combat, which is probably why they have no rules in BFG, but they would require about twice as much space as a Barracuda or half as much space as a Manta.
Old 07 Nov 2005, 23:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ok, I'm thinking it's probably 20 Mantas TOTAL 8-10 modified for space combat, the others are transports only. Then you could get about 2 Tigersharks per Manta, or 3-4 Barracudas per Manta. Does that sound about right?
Old 07 Nov 2005, 23:14   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

No information on fighter-compliments exists. Remember, Gothic scale varies wildly between playing scale (something like 1cm = 10,000 to 100,000km) and model scale (about 1cm = 500m).

However, I would guess that a ship can carry four "launches" per Squadron point in Gothic stats... so if the ship has a Launch value of 2, it is either 8 squadrons of 4 Mantas, 8 Squadrons of 5 Barracudas, or any combination thereof...

...but that sounds far too small. Feth it, just make it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 07 Nov 2005, 23:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

32 Mantas doesn't sound too bad, but 40 Barracudas seems too small. I'll take you're suggestion, Wargamer with the 32 Mantas, but then add my 1 Manta = 2 Tigersharks = 4 Barracudas.

Note: I guess that means were's back to the original estimations! ;D

Ok, I also ran through the Epic list quickly, realised I need some Orcas and Morays as well for support, etc. Counted them the same as Tigersharks. How's this look for the loadout:

12 Mantas

2 Orcas ( 1 Dragonfish)

8 Morays

10 Tigersharks

10 Tigershark AX-1-0

20 Barracudas
Old 08 Nov 2005, 10:57   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Since when did mantas in gothic get launched in a squadron? All fluff points to manta's being so big that only one is needed to do the damage. Unless IA3 changed something, (haven't got it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 08 Nov 2005, 14:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In Gothic they're classed as bombers (although the Tigershark AX-1-0 (aka Whiteshark) may replace them in future lists) and are released in squadrons.
Closed Thread