Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How long do tau live.
Closed Thread
Old 07 Nov 2005, 07:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to wind777
Default How long do tau live.

Im not kidding how long do tau live i mean in a full cycal of life not getting killed or anything. Im thinking like 60years but i really dont know. Any one know?
Old 07 Nov 2005, 08:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: How long do tau live.

well, aun'shi was described as nearing 40 years of age and of that being "old, for a tau".

I honestly could not tell you straight. If a tau is able to go through the ranks (ie, la -o) this takes at least 20 years for the 5 ranks, and its not always certain that he will be allowed to take a trial by fire to move on. O shovah, for example, despite being a shas'o, was dragged into a 10 year campaign against orks.

There certainly are anomalies to how old tau can be. personally, i think 40 is too young. Unless of course this 40 is human years, and not tau'cyr, in which case it would be closer to 50. Regardless, i would imagine tau would live to somewhere between 50 and 60 tau'cyr.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 07 Nov 2005, 11:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Pisces_808

I thought that Tau had relativaly short lives, for about 40 or 45 years (human years) and that Kroot live even shorter, for about 20 or less years.

The Kroot is because, in the codex, a Tau said that you could see them evolve over generations. And because Tau don't live long and they can see more generations of Kroot grow 'old'.
As for Tau ... the same reasoning as Deadnight.

Greetz

Old 07 Nov 2005, 11:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

incorrect. kroot live for over a century...

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 07 Nov 2005, 15:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Wow, really? Where did you read that?

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Old 07 Nov 2005, 15:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

the kroot index xenos...

Old 07 Nov 2005, 15:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Wow! I guess the shapers did SOMETHING right!
Old 07 Nov 2005, 17:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Pisces_808

:'( Guess I was wrong about the Kroot :'(

But then how do they know they change so mush after some generations :-\

I also have a question about their life ;D
When do the Tau of the Fire caste become firewarriors? Because it doesn't say in the codex, there's only a mention that they are born in the caste (logically) and start as a basic soldier at a young age. But how old exactly? Any guess?

Greetz

Old 07 Nov 2005, 18:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius

I don't know about the age restrictions of tau caste into fire warriors, however, in regard to their age.

Commander farsight is described as "possibly" being centurwies old. For this to be taken at all seriously by any Tau, it must be remotely possible. I have been trying digidently but in vain to find the link to the page where I read this little piece of information, however if any one knows the link, I know i'd be greatfull, it may shed some light about the query too.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 07 Nov 2005, 18:47   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

When I saw the name of this thread I formed my own opinion instantly, and whilst reading my opinion changed once, and then changed back again. Therefore I am still of the opinion that the Tau most likely live on average a little longer than humans. However I would like to ask what you think about the idea that a Tau's life-span changes depending on their caste.

For example, an Air-Caste Tau may live longer than an Earth-Caste Tau, as the Air-Caste spend their entire lives aboard ships in space and the Eart-Caste are labourers and engineers. This would be a very human trait, but I do not think that the Tau are all that different from humans. I would think then that the Fire-Caste have an average life-span, even if they have a short life-expectancy. Such is the nature of being a soldier that a Fire Warrior could never be expected to survive a particularly long time, even if naturally he would be afforded a longer life-span.

This of course is speculating that a Tau would live a certain length depending on his job. Perhaps a Tau doing nothing all his life would live to be well over 100 human years old, but just like WWI on earth, some people who went through such hardships could also live to be over 100.