Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kau'yon useless?
Closed Thread
Old 06 Nov 2005, 22:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default Kau'yon useless?

I've ALWAYS used the Montka in some form. I've NEVER had a situation where I wanted my opponent to go twords a specific area and wait for AS PART OF MY PLAN. Maybe its because I'm Mech Tau, but does anyone here have any ways to really use the Kau'yon? I just want to have both strategies down...

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 07 Nov 2005, 00:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Kau'yon useless?

fish of fury is kau'yon! if their not in the right spot it dosnt work!
Old 07 Nov 2005, 00:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

What the heck!? The FoF attack is an aggressive attack, and if you accociate it to anything but rules exploitation it's a purely Mont'ka-type stratagy; rushing in and delivering a knockout blow in one swoop.

Kauyon would involve something like moving a Stealth squad into the open with little backup, then when the enemy move in on them you jetpack away and hit them with mechanized relocation or massive crossfire, for example.
Old 07 Nov 2005, 00:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think you're constraining yourself somewhat if you're basing your tactics exclusively off a half-page write-up in the Tau codex. Everyone knows tactics are METT-T dependant (ok, not many people do, but those who do should get a chuckle).

Anyway, your game plan will (should) vary, based on the mission, enemy units, troops available in your list, terrain on the board and number of turns in the game (there's that METT-T thing). Trying to force your army to do the same tactic every game is hindering its performance.

The Kau'yon, if I recall, is the "bait" tactic. This is a great tactic for heavily assault-oriented armies that you probably don't want to close with. They'll want to advance on something slow, so they can catch it and kill it. Put something forward, like a kroot squad, and let them come. You start running with the bait, while your mobile elements split and encircle along the board edges. The extremely expensive assault unit is now stuck....continue chasing some low value target and end up isolated, or back track and give up all the ground (and casualties) you took. I find a more useful variation in missions like cleanse the infiltrating/hidden kroot squad. Kroot are cheap, and tough to kill. Infiltrate several squads into the two open quarters, hidden behind terrain. The enemy is forced to send more expensive units to take them out, wasting them on something simple and risking damage to them as they trek across the board, or ignore them and accept the two corners will be contested at best.
Old 07 Nov 2005, 03:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Kauyon doesn't neccessarily mean luring the enemy using a unit... just luring the enemy to where you want him to be. I do this all the time, using some units to attract, others to repel, to get the enemy into a prepared kill zone, or to isolate part of the enemy force.
Old 07 Nov 2005, 03:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I just havn't made it my overall strategy... I've always, when strategy is concerned, put my units in the right place, and then blast the unit in question with enough shots.

Of course, Mech Tau is Mont'ka... overwhelm a specific area at once...

I'm sorry for starting this topic...

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 07 Nov 2005, 03:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra-Tuisich'Novae
What the heck!? The FoF attack is an aggressive attack, and if you accociate it to anything but rules exploitation it's a purely Mont'ka-type stratagy; rushing in and delivering a knockout blow in one swoop.

Kauyon would involve something like moving a Stealth squad into the open with little backup, then when the enemy move in on them you jetpack away and hit them with mechanized relocation or massive crossfire, for example.
I routinely use my FoF to apply the finishing touches to a Kauyon tactic. Nothing says "You've fallen for my trap" like 48 RF shots.

My broadsides usually work wel as bait, as do my Kroot. Many times, the Kroot draw a lot of fire because of their unit size (20 models) and while they are being fired upon, I'm closing up the trap. It works especially well if my Kroot can last through more than one turn of close combat if they've been assaulted.

I think every game I play is all about applying both strategies. Luring him one way, so I can apply the Mecha beatdown on isolated units and then mopping up the lured away units.
Old 07 Nov 2005, 06:36   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I baited an opponent into exposing the rear armor of his dreadnought in the last game I played, but nothing came of it (bad rolling). Where they are on the battlefield doesn't matter as much as where they are in relation to your troops. Force their tanks to move a little bit to see choice targets, conveniently giving you shots at their side or rear armor. Draw them into assault range of your Kroot. Lure low-armor troops out of cover to charge inexpensive battlesuits. I am not sure if these really line up with the codex explanation, but they are the most common forms of baiting that I employ.
Old 07 Nov 2005, 08:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxpetronivs
Everyone knows tactics are METT-T dependant (ok, not many people do, but those who do should get a chuckle).
I got a chuckle...but you left out the weather...dawn and dusk have a huge impact.

Anyway, I nearly always use kau'yon in straight slaughter type games. I deploy one static firewarrior squad, my pathfinders, and my aun in a prominent spot that's hard to deepstrike against. The enemy usually sends enough to deal with two squads of tau, as in one assault-oriented unit. As soon as they get close, my widely scattered army converges on them and they all die, usually leaving the enemy without a backup plan (for assault, at least). Usually, it's a fairly point-heavy unit (300-500 points) on which his entire strategy depends. Destroying it leaves him in a shootout against a larger (numbers and points wise) force.

If the enemy is smart enough to send an overwhelming force (anything I can't kill in a single round of shooting, such as a crusader popping out eight terminators, supported by five bikes), it's too easy to sacrifice 120 points worth of firewarriors by packing the pathfinders and ethereal into the obligatory devilfish and hauling ass. Now he's spent 2 turns crossing the board with ~700 points and has nothing to show for his troubles but 12 firewarriors. now the most expensive (model/point ratio) part of his force is 25+ inches away from his deployment zone, so in a sense, the trap worked anyway, it'll just be harder to kill all that stuff without the pathfinders, and I'm focusing my entire army (minus ~200 points worth of dead firewarriors and mounted pathfinders!) against the tougher half of his army.

Kau'yon works extremely well for me in a straight "kill each other" game, not so well when there are objectives to take, as the enemy is more inclined to ignore the bait and chase the objectives. But a set of pathfinders and an ethereal make great (and surprisingly elusive!) bait. I find, though, that it's not quite enough unless you sweeten the pot with a few more models (firewarriors), as pathinders and aun alone amount to a stingy 9 models...more suited to long-range fire than an assault force!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Closed Thread