Warhammer 40K Forum

Range Q
Closed Thread
Old 06 Nov 2005, 10:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Range Q

A bit of a topic from the Chaos list:

Quote:
I just wasn't sure if it had the Battle Cannons 72" range. But it seems to be just within range on a 6 foot long table. I'm sorry to say but I'm not quite sure on how many inches a foot is.. :-[ But remember that it's a 6 feet long table and the shot goes a bit from corner to adjacent corner. That's a lot of inches. But maybe the Disruption Pod would have done the trick - I mean the Vehicle Upgrade that subtracts 6 inches from the opponents weapon range.....?
What say you good Tau people?

-Khelben
I'll stare the xxxxxxx in the face as he screams to God, and I'll laugh harder when he whimpers like a baby. And when his eyes go dead, the hell I send him to will seem like heaven after what I've done to him.
Old 06 Nov 2005, 11:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Range Q

1 foot = 12 inches
6 feet = 72 inches

If the gun has 72 inches range, it can shoot straight along one edge. So yes, you can shoot from corner to corner. If the target and firer are pretty much on the corners, then a disruption pod would've done something.
Old 06 Nov 2005, 12:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thx. They were in diagonal corners, so it'll be exciting next time!

-Khelben
I'll stare the xxxxxxx in the face as he screams to God, and I'll laugh harder when he whimpers like a baby. And when his eyes go dead, the hell I send him to will seem like heaven after what I've done to him.
Old 06 Nov 2005, 14:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

If it's 72", it can't shoot from diagonal corner to corner. 72" is 6 feet, one side. Corner to corner is farther.
Old 06 Nov 2005, 15:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Correct...for example, if the table were 6x6, the diagonal would be about 8 and a half feet! Even on a 6x4 table, you're looking at well over seven feet to opposite corners...you wouldn't even need the Dpod for that...but it does give you a larger "free area" to play in.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 06 Nov 2005, 15:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

And don't forget our weapons are 72" too... D Pod means he's in range, we're not >

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 06 Nov 2005, 18:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

uh oh time to dust off my 15 yr old geometry learnin..... how far is absolute corner to corner on a 6 foot by 5 foot standard table? A sq + B sq = C sq

ok, 6 feet.... 72 inches.. squared thats 5184 .. that'll be A

4 feet... 48 inches.. 2304.. thats B

A+B = 7488 this is C.. buts it starts squared... so we need to square root this to get C straight

C= 86.533 inches. 7.2 feet

boy, wasnt THAT fun??!! guess it goes to show ya that math is helpfull.... especially when someone tells you that Battlecannon in one corner can reach the entire table with its range.... UH UH!!!! no sir!!
Old 06 Nov 2005, 21:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Get yourself a tape measure if you're bad at math and just measure it. :P However the Earthshaker cannon is 124"?
Old 06 Nov 2005, 23:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban
uh oh time to dust off my 15 yr old geometry learnin..... how far is absolute corner to corner on a 6 foot by 5 foot standard table? A sq + B sq = C sq

ok, 6 feet.... 72 inches.. squared thats 5184 .. that'll be A

4 feet... 48 inches.. 2304.. thats B

A+B = 7488 this is C.. buts it starts squared... so we need to square root this to get C straight

C= 86.533 inches. 7.2 feet

boy, wasnt THAT fun??!! guess it goes to show ya that math is helpfull.... especially when someone tells you that Battlecannon in one corner can reach the entire table with its range.... UH UH!!!! no sir!!
You could've just said "Using Pythag. theorem, the diagonal distance on a 6'x4' table is 7.2111'."

You could however, go further with that, and say that the minimum distance away from a (short) table edge on a 6'x4' table is 0.343' (4.1 inches) in order to cover the whole table (when it's right in the center of that edge - that is, 2' away from each long edge). As for along one long table edge, you would have to be at least 1.5' (18") away from the corners in order to fully cover a 6'x4' table.

Wow. You really needed to know that.
Old 07 Nov 2005, 14:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I might set the table as it was and then approximately measure the distance..

Still, I think that Disruption Pod might be a good buy for the Hammerhead..

-Khelben
Closed Thread