Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fire warrior tactics
Closed Thread
Old 05 Nov 2005, 17:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Fire warrior tactics

I was wondering if anybody could give me any hints on my fire warrior squads ( one of mine got completly wiped out by a single raptor with lightning claws ) . I usually have 7 bonded fire warriors with photon grenades and Shas'ui with markerlight.
When I've finished my devilfish(I've been working on and off for 2 years now :) i'll equip it with a multitracker, Flechette discharger, decoy launchers and 2 seeker missles. The devilfish is for three things: firepower, tank shocking, and, if tank shocking doesn't work, getting out of there before that raptor comes back.
Old 05 Nov 2005, 17:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Fire warrior tactics

I lost 30 Firewarriors to a terminator veteran sergeant, wolf lord and wolf priest once. Firewarriors are not going to live in close combat, you have to do everything you can to keep them out of it. The Devilfish is very good for this. Static squads rely on shooting down the enemy before they get to you, for this youhave to concentrate your fire. With the Devilfish a mounted squad can be extremely powerfull. Mine stay in the fish for the first turn or two as it maneuvers into position and then I unload them either to rapid fire the enemy or set up a new forward fire base. Both work well and even when set up as static the Devilfish can simply get in the way of any enemies trying to assault your troops.

When mobile make full use of the wonderfull rapid fire status of the pulse rifle, when static make full use of that exelent 30" range. Either way you have some serious killing power.

Old 05 Nov 2005, 22:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

First of all, there's really no need to bond fire warriors. Or take photon grenades, but I'll accept that that one is debateable.

If you get charged, especially by a small element like a single model, it is often worth it to sacrifice the whole squad to kill the assailant. How do you do this? Fail your morale checks. With an ethereal, this is possible. With an ethereal and no shas'ui, it's easy.

When going into combat, you have to ask yourself some questions.
1) Is it possible to save the squad? For it to be so, you need quite a bit of room behind the fire warriors before they hit the table edge. If you have a foot or more, it's a good bet. If you have that room and want to save the squad, when the opponent attacks, remove as kills the models that are in base to base contact. Now you will not get your attacks back, but is that really a problem? We're lucky to get one or two attacks through for armor saves anyway, especially if you don't have a full squad.

So you've removed all the models in base to base contact. Guess what? The opponent can no longer sweeping advance. You need to be in base to base contact with a squad to chase it down. Now, all you have to do is fail your morale test. The Ethereal allows you to reroll passed morale checks, so do it if you need to.

When you run, several bad things can happen: First, you may run a short distance, and the enemy will use his 3" consolidation move to prevent you from rallying. You did have plenty of extra space, right? It doesn't matter, this is still a good outcome, because the enemy squad is not in combat and can be shot. Possibly even by the fleeing FW squad. The other bad thing that can happen is if you roll two. Three inches is the enemy consolidation move. If you had one model between your remaining models and his, that is one inch, so you need more than two inches to get away (unless you were in loose formation.) In this case, the enemy will consolidate into you. Which is bad, bad news. All you can do then is hope to god that your squad can hold out for one more turn.

Sometimes it simply will not be possible to save the squad. Perhaps it's going to take massive casualties, or is sitting at the table edge. The new question to ask here is: do I want the opponent to massacre, or consolidate? If your squad runs away, the opponent cannot massacre. If it is OK for him to massacre you, meaning that a possible movement of 6" won't be dangerous, then stick around and poke him in the eye. HOWEVER, you STILL want to fail your morale test. You want the enemy to sweeping advance and kill you NOW, so you can shoot him on your turn. Any attacks that you get in immediately are a bonus. So fight, and fail your morale test, and die for the greater good. A 6" movement can sometimes be allowable, but an 18" movement never is (massacre + charge + movement). You never want the opponent to win combat on your turn.
Old 06 Nov 2005, 03:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Of course, you don't have that problem with Mech Tau. Thats why I kick ass with MechTau (Hey, sloganizer poped out something useful)

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 06 Nov 2005, 03:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Of course, you don't have that problem with Mech Tau. Thats why I kick ass with MechTau (Hey, sloganizer poped out something useful)
there are things which can move 18" or 24" and things which can assualt 6". there are times you miss mesure and the time when they take down you tank. people i know have realised by giving their models grenades(or equivlents) they can attualy get round the whole fish of fury thing
Old 06 Nov 2005, 07:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

The reason i choose photon grenades is because my freind (owner of said raptor) generally feilds 2 squads of 10, and I really don't want 20 strength 4 hits coming my way in CC (he has a rhino and i don't have a devilfish is the reason why i don't run)
Old 06 Nov 2005, 09:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hmmm...I can see the point of that. However, if you can spread your guys enough that he's only able to get into assault with 2-3 of them, 20 attacks or 10, it doesn't matter. He's still only going to kill 2-3, and still you get to run away and shoot him. Photon grenades are good if you get charged by a small squad (3-4, max), and want all of your surviving firewarriors within 2" to get a hit in before running away...or, if you want your firewarriors to stay in combat so that your kroot can charge next turn (kroot are like 11 inches away, and you don't want the enemy to have the option to consolidate out of range). Most of the time, the grenades won't make any difference, and the cases where they hurt you (you want to get annihilated) are as numerous as the cases where they provide a small benefit. I don't use them, but they don't usually hurt you, so go ahead.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 06 Nov 2005, 15:35   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfeix
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
there are things which can move 18" or 24" and things which can assualt 6". there are times you miss mesure and the time when they take down you tank. people i know have realised by giving their models grenades(or equivlents) they can attualy get round the whole fish of fury thing
Grenades? I am not sure how grenades would help in this case. You should never try to use a FoF or one of its variants on a fast-moving unit. Save it for regular infantry in more isolated parts of the enemy line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVladimir
The reason i choose photon grenades is because my freind (owner of said raptor) generally feilds 2 squads of 10, and I really don't want 20 strength 4 hits coming my way in CC (he has a rhino and i don't have a devilfish is the reason why i don't run)
Static Fire Warriors alone are going to have a very hard time with large blocks of power-armored infantry. One solution is to start taking a few units of Kroot. On your first turn, move your Fire Warriors up slightly so that you have some room between your units and the table edge. This gives you a little breathing room, as DireStrike mentioned. Move the Kroot in behind the Fire Warriors, prefereably in cover with a 4-5 inch gap between them and the Fire Warriors. When the enemy gets close, they will have an unenviable choice to make. If they charge your Fire Warriors, they are at an extreme risk of getting counter-charged by the Kroot during your turn. If they hold back to rapid-fire, they are going to be taking the combined fire of both of your units.
Old 06 Nov 2005, 15:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

To put it simply, keep moving. Constan movement will put a cork in his plan, and he will find himself chasing you. Alll the whil, you are shootng him. When he finally reaches you, he pretty weakened. If it is a fast army, try and deploy all in one corner, specificcly on a hill if there is one available, and shoot him with everything you have, then deepstrike som crisis's behind him. Its really hard to give tactics solely for FWs, as it is hard to give tactics solely for guardsmen. Really, if you have Kroot, put them in cover, and wait for an asault. At I10 and with 2 attacks, he will be forgetting Tau aren't entirely useless when it comes to assault...
Really, the best tactic is harmony between every unit on the tabletop; each supportng the other...

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Closed Thread