Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Thoughts on having broadsides....
Closed Thread
Old 05 Nov 2005, 13:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Thoughts on having broadsides....

Actually my HS choices consists of 2 Railhean \w b.cannons and all thel othe usuar stuff...Those 2 great tanks are always excellent in battle and i don't want to drop them....
But.. i want to try out broadside and i thought to find the points to get 1 BS with 2 drones...
Is 1 BS enough to be effective? Or is better to take 2 BS...
Should i take 2 BS and switch a Railhead into a Ionhead?

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild, and freak out an' do anything they wanna do"
Old 05 Nov 2005, 14:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Thoughts on having broadsides....

Never use Drones with suits! Majority toughness really messes with them, meaning the Drones cause the suits to die faster then they should. Totally not worth the points!

However, Broadsides are a good choice to give your army a little extra anti tank firepower. Monats (single suits) work best, since you can easily put them in a superior firing position and doesn't attract as much attention from your opponant. A Shield Generator is a good upgrade for them, as it makes it twice as hard to kill when your enemy starts pouring Lascannon fire into it.

Alot of players like to take both a Rail and Ion Hammerhead in medium to large games, as it gives them more tactical flexiblity.

~Andromidius
Old 05 Nov 2005, 15:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

It's all up to you. One Broadside (without drones) would still be effective, as it's pretty much immune to casualty (from shooting) checks etc on its own.
Old 05 Nov 2005, 16:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

A single broadside can project a huge threat for about the cost of a crisis suit. It will act differently than a team, but it will still be quite effective in its own way. You simply need to think in terms of its strengths - huge fright potential, and a cheap extra railgun.
Old 05 Nov 2005, 16:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromidius
Never use Drones with suits!* Majority toughness really messes with them, meaning the Drones cause the suits to die faster then they should.* Totally not worth the points!
i disaggree with you 6 sheild drones and 3 broadsides is a protected and destructive force
Old 05 Nov 2005, 17:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

Yes, but if it just so happens that all your shield drones are killed in on shooting phase and there are still hits on the unit then your Broadsides start taking hits at drone save and toughness.
Old 06 Nov 2005, 00:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

And that drones count for casualties etc, so it's likely that the unit might decide to do a runner on you. Under the current rules, drones don't work too well when attached to models, with the majority armour/toughness/save rules.
Old 06 Nov 2005, 00:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to wind777

One suit by him self is not good. As for majority toughness that goes away once the 2 drones bit it. I use sheild drones so i still get the +2 save but get a +4 inv save if something like a lascannon from a tank hits the group witch happens from time to time. Molikly 3 broadsides and 2 shield drones is good. One bs should have a shield gen another has muli tracker with tlplama and the last one has targetlock. 3 Broadsides 1 with plasma leader has hwdrones controller and 2 sheild drones then one has shield gen another has target lock the leader has the muli tracker. The sms is kinda useless but thats just me if your playing like guard the sms would be good but with guard comes alot of ap2 weapons like the plasmas.
Old 06 Nov 2005, 02:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Hm. I see them as the things you use to kill LRs and Monoliths. 3 of them, with ML support, is guarenteed to blast AV 14 to hell...

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 06 Nov 2005, 05:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ mace
link=topic=13318.msg215727#msg215727 date=1131235654]
And that drones count for casualties etc, so it's likely that the unit might decide to do a runner on you. Under the current rules, drones don't work too well when attached to models, with the majority armour/toughness/save rules.
use an etheral and bonding. even if all the drones die you still count as being above half strenght

thought i cant wait for the new rule same armour and toughness for sheild drones beatuful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'O Shir'Rin
Yes, but if it just so happens that all your shield drones are killed in on shooting phase and there are still hits on the unit then your Broadsides start taking hits at drone save and toughness.
what happens if your hit and wounded by 3 lasscannons with just a noraml BS unit ..... the word sounds like duck. any you got it wrong it the board sides still have a 2+ armoursave (unless in the case of AP2) and you only wound at T3 but it not the case for instant kill. also you have too lose 4 sheild drones before their back in the majourity so io dont know what your worrying about. most people give up after a couple of shoot it seams to much like hard work killing shield units
Closed Thread