Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Powergaming necrons, what to do?
Closed Thread
Old 05 Nov 2005, 02:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Powergaming necrons, what to do?

In my local escalation league, there is a necron power gamer. He has the minimum amount of warriors, and as many destroyers as the points will allow him to take.

I am not sure how to deal with this, because plasma seems ineffective, he'll back off so I cannot reach him. Missle pods are not reliable enough since destroyer's armor save is pretty good, and his guns have more shots at better BS (while the destroyers also cost less than my battle suits) He shoots stealth suits to hell, too. They just will not hurt him enough, and if they do manage to drop one or two, they'll get right back up half the time.

I am not sure what to do, nothing seems to be working.

I tried to make him phase out, but I could not kill enough of his guys, those destroyers just have too much fire power.

What do you guys think I should do to deal with all these destroyers?

Tomorrow is the last day we are using combat patrol rules for the 500 point games, after which I can have acess to everything, and it will be 750 points.

Thanks in advance

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Old 05 Nov 2005, 03:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Re: Powergaming necrons, what to do?

Sounds like a job for everyone's favorite Tau unit: Kroot!

Infiltrate them everywhere. Get into combat with the destroyers and it's over. Get into combat with the warriors and it's probably over. You can push them away from all the cover, and you have incidental bolter fire everywhere to knock down a handful here and there.

Stealth suits can also be nice.
Old 05 Nov 2005, 03:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

What about Ion Cannons?
Old 05 Nov 2005, 03:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I was gonna suggest that but he said he's using combat patrol rules for now.
Old 05 Nov 2005, 03:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Tonka fought a tournament list with majority destroyers:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9943.0

Reading it over, he used seekers and ion cannons on them...he had a bit more favorable set up in that there was reserves coming in slowly, but I think it gives you an idea of the tactics he used to isolate and destory them.

Only thing I could advise is focus fire. If you destroy the entire unit, they don't get the WBB roll.
Old 05 Nov 2005, 04:30   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

At the 500-point level using Combat Patrol lists, you are looking at a maximum of 6 destroyers, with a single minimized squad of Warriors and no Lord.* Note that Combat Patrol is really meant for use with 400-point armies.* This makes a pretty big difference, either two units of three Destroyers or one unit of four.

Once the game is played with the regular FOC requirements, you are looking at a maximum of 5 destroyers in a 750-point force.* Your opponent can't take as many this time because he is forced to buy the expensive Lord and another Warrior unit.* Furthermore, all 5 Destroyers must be in a single unit, rather than the two groups of three possible in 500 points.* This is because Destroyers, unlike Battlesuits, have a minimum unit size.* This works to your advantage, as a single unit of Kroot should be able to tie them up for the entire game, even if they can't destroy them outright.* Kroot are perfect for fighting Destroyers.

Without our tanks, we can't rely on Ion Cannons and Seeker Missiles to get through Necron armor.* At the 500-point level, you could potentially be fielding more than 50 Kroot and 6 individual scoring units to your opponent's 3 or 4.* Keep mission objectives in mind.* If you can reduce one of his expensive units to below half-strength and tie the other one up in an assault, it may be enough just to survive with one or two scoring units in the right place.

One more thing to keep in mind is that the Warrior units are going to be extremely slow, and fairly short-ranged.* If you have even a moderate amount of terrain on the table, force your opponent to come to you.* The Destroyers are so fast that your opponent will probably move them well outside the range where the Warriors could support them.
Old 05 Nov 2005, 04:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I don't see how I can get the kroot into close combat with the destroyers. They move fast....up to 24 inches.

Couldn't they just fly away?

Old 05 Nov 2005, 05:04   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwing
I don't see how I can get the kroot into close combat with the destroyers. They move fast....up to 24 inches.

Couldn't they just fly away?
They can only move 24" when they are using the Turbo-Boosters rule. If you can force them to do that, you have removed their ability to shoot at you for an entire turn. If they run away, just hide your Kroot behind some terrain. By the time the Destroyers are ready to fire again, they won't have any targets! The key here is forcing your opponent to fight on your terms.
Old 05 Nov 2005, 05:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

against jetbikes:

long range shooter - you got plenty

try some heavy support to counter their movement
Kroot's also a good idea - the only way around a 3+ is odds.
note: destroyers cost 50 points each, so each time u kill one, u basically get an ethreal's points
Old 05 Nov 2005, 06:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hopefully i won't play him tomorrow, I have only 10 kroot ready for combat

Closed Thread