Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

mech????
Closed Thread
Old 04 Nov 2005, 12:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default mech????

why is mech better than static and why is it more popular????
in mech all you do is run ...20kills in one game (doesnt mattyer what race)
stattic you hit .hit.hit.hit.hit.hitand for those who say that tau will die in close combat just use kroot (45-60 kills in one game)
and if you spen another 200 points on df well you can use on firewarriors...

ps:can you shot people that are in cc ...lets say kroot are figthngsome thing in cc and the firewarriors wantto kill those cc units???and oh ya im not saing that i hate mech just dont under stand it and ya ....* i use 2 dfs* * (for fof)
"they got ded big shooty guns dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz,coz you anit gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough ta crump em"

warlord skarmork the great despolier
Old 04 Nov 2005, 12:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: mech????

1) Don't say you don't want links - it shows un unwillingness to learn.
2) Bringing two devilfish for the sole aim of an FoF attack is pointless - they should be used for versatility and mobility, not just in case you can pull off a certain attack pattern.
3) No, you cannot fire in to combat, unless you're a Vindicare... even then you have resrictions.

Mech is largely superior to Static Tau because it affords you the ability to relocate your firebase at will. The Stand-and-Shoot effect is doable, but it is not very effective, since the fireline is limited in the range of mass firepower that can be fielded - unlike Guard, Tau lack punch at the 48" bracket, and can't mass heavy weapons nearly as much as some armies.

Old 04 Nov 2005, 13:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I believe that Mech Tau is more popular because it encourages unit flexibility and mobility. However, I prefer a Hybrid Force. I tend to field 4 Troops Choices in my 2,000 point matches (The most common in my club) 1 Static FW, 2 Mounted FW, 1 Kroot. This lends me flexibility and massed firepower together. There are uses for both styles of play - I feel that in the long run the majority of players I talk to drift toward the Hybrid.
Old 04 Nov 2005, 13:45   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

In my mind, there are really two approaches to Static Tau. The first is the one many of us start off with: static firebases throughout the deployment zone. While this approach returns the most raw firepower of any Tau army, it also relies heavily on the dice and is easily thwarted by a cunning opponent. It is also very inefficient at taking table quarters or objectives. It is a very passive style of play, with your opponent making the vast majority of the game's decisions while all you decide is target priority.

The other type of static approach is a little more complicated, relying on a complicated system of feinting and lures. Units are drawn into assaults with Fire Warriors while they are flanked by Kroot. Heavier assault units are Braced and then destroyed by concentrated rapid-firing.

I have no problem with the second approach. It is fluffy in the sense that it follows the tactical descriptions in the Codex, and it requires a great deal of thought to use well. The first approach always strikes me as a little lazy, and it doesn't really play very well to our strengths. :-\
Old 04 Nov 2005, 14:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattz
stattic you hit .hit.hit.hit.hit.hitand for those who say that tau will die in close combat just use kroot (45-60 kills in one game)

ps:can you shot people that are in cc ...lets say kroot are figthngsome thing in cc and the firewarriors wantto kill those cc units???and oh ya im not saing that i hate mech just dont under stand it and ya ....* i use 2 dfs* * (for fof)

i dont want any links
Blech....trying to read that nearly made my eyes bleed.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 04 Nov 2005, 15:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattz

i dont want any links
Does it make your head bleed to actually comment on the subject?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 04 Nov 2005, 15:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Agreed with RJay... I found the writting quality very poor myself, but come on - could you at least give some input to the thead rather than a one-lined snipe?

Quote:
I have no problem with the second approach. *It is fluffy in the sense that it follows the tactical descriptions in the Codex, and it requires a great deal of thought to use well. *The first approach always strikes me as a little lazy, and it doesn't really play very well to our strengths.
I quite agree - the style is touted by the codex and fits in with the fluff of the army.

Quote:
There are uses for both styles of play - I feel that in the long run the majority of players I talk to drift toward the Hybrid.
While I dropped Tau, I do still have a soft spot for Hybrd - it has a higher model count and lets you keep a firebase to support you, or do alot of damage even if the rest of your force is scattered or shredded. *The lists we get here though seem to indicate that most of the long-time gamers are mechheads, though...
Old 04 Nov 2005, 15:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I personally don't play Tau, however I play against them more than any other army thus far so I feel I have a bit of room to comment...

The few times I've faced a static Tau army I've crushed them, not always by a landslide but I usually have a comfortable point spread by turn 5. Against a highly manueverable army static army's run the risk of being over run, Tau and Guard being primarily shooty can't afford to have a heavy handed CC troop drop in amongst them. Tau strength lies in its ability to lay down a barrage of fire while keeping its forces out of the meatgrinder and thats what makes Mech Tau so effective.

Don't under estimate the value shoot and skoot tactics. Staying out of the reach of your opponent can mean denying him VP's which can be just as important as scoring points yourself. While talking about points, the mobility offered by a Mech army means grabbing up key locations on the board with relative ease. Having a FW squad dropped off in the ruins I was planning to use as cover means I have to stay exposed to rail/ionhead fire for just that much longer.

Now I'm not saying Mech Tau is the only way to play, I'm just trying to explain why I prefer facing a Static force as opposed to a Mech force. :P
Also, after the game, find his mini case and dump the contents into a grinder/shredder and then put what's left into a shaker. It goes great on pasta, pizza, nachos, etc., just like all other forms of cheese. - xShaperx
Old 04 Nov 2005, 15:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

Also, in general, Tau have a lack of heavy weapons in purely static forces. Having no heavy weapons, but seekers, in our troops we can't reliably take down heavy troops/vehicles with shooting alone. Tau forces require focussed fire which means either forcing your opponents into a firing lane, or going to them. Hybrid is reallyn the best, however, as they are much more tactically flexible than either mech or static armies.
Old 04 Nov 2005, 17:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ilikebigguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'O Shir'Rin
Also, in general, Tau have a lack of heavy weapons in purely static forces.* Having no heavy weapons, but seekers, in our troops we can't reliably take down heavy troops/vehicles with shooting alone.* Tau forces require focussed fire which means either forcing your opponents into a firing lane, or going to them.* Hybrid is reallyn the best, however, as they are much more tactically flexible than either mech or static armies.
Also mech costs alot because your devilfishes you have to make sure you make the points back for them which can be hard sometimes. But yes hybrid is good probably because you have a nice mix of both, static and mech.

Tau
wins:14
Ties:5
Lost:4
Closed Thread