Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

tau weapon science
Closed Thread
Old 04 Nov 2005, 08:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG
Default tau weapon science

having read the thread about pulse rifles, I began to ask myself how all Tau weaponry works... I'm pretty sure I know how the plasma gun works and will try to post my theory here as soon as I can (probably tonight). However, the weapon I'm having the most trouble figuring how it works is the fusion blaster (if the name is wrong I'm sorry... had to translate it from a french codex)

If anybody has any theories, it would be pretty cool to compile them here

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 04 Nov 2005, 08:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: tau weapon science

Just as long as I don't have to go over railgun theory for the 20th time (railguns - do a forum search)

Fusion blasters -> same as meltaguns.
Old 04 Nov 2005, 08:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ mace
link=topic=13286.msg214959#msg214959 date=1131092524]
Just as long as I don't have to go over railgun theory for the 20th time (railguns - do a forum search)

Fusion blasters -> same as meltaguns.
I understand the railgun technology... but how does a meltagun work, since it's the same as a fusion blaster

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 04 Nov 2005, 08:32   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Meltaguns fire a "sub-molecular thermal blast". Imperial Meltaguns use pyrum-petrol ammunition, forced into a sub-molecular state by a two part injection system, and the resulting projectile can vapourise just about anything.

Meltaguns make very little noise when fired, save for a hissing sound as the air infront of the barrel is boiled, which rises to a roar when the target is struck.

Personally, I would like to believe that Eldar (not Tau) Fusion Guns actually use Fusion to achieve their results... Eldar have never been a race to boast about their tech; they've never needed to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 04 Nov 2005, 08:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Meltaguns fire a "sub-molecular thermal blast". Imperial Meltaguns use pyrum-petrol ammunition, forced into a sub-molecular state by a two part injection system, and the resulting projectile can vapourise just about anything.

Meltaguns make very little noise when fired, save for a hissing sound as the air infront of the barrel is boiled, which rises to a roar when the target is struck.

Personally, I would like to believe that Eldar (not Tau) Fusion Guns actually use Fusion to achieve their results... Eldar have never been a race to boast about their tech; they've never needed to!
wouldn't it also make sense that the tau use fusion to achieve this result aswell, since it is mentioned in the name??

Old 04 Nov 2005, 08:46   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Considering the only working fusion reactor we know about is that bloody huge ball of burning hydrogen and helium... no. Only the Eldar have skill enough to take a star and make it into a pistol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 04 Nov 2005, 08:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Considering the only working fusion reactor we know about is that bloody huge ball of burning hydrogen and helium... no. Only the Eldar have skill enough to take a star and make it into a pistol.
Actually we do have working fusion reactors, the problem is they use more power then they produce. Tau are technologically advanced, so itīs not impossible to think they might have achieved cold fusion. That could allow them to have fusion powered weapons (though still larger then Eldar pistols).
Old 04 Nov 2005, 09:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

I'd think that with the word "fusion" built right into the weapon, it indeed uses the same sort of tech as the eldar.

However, the tau version of the weapon is MASSIVE. Compare the crisis suit mounted fusion blaster to the compact eldar equivalent; it's huge! That's why only massive crisis battlesuits can carry the thing.
Old 04 Nov 2005, 10:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

But...do you also know how pulse rilfe/carabine functions?

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild, and freak out an' do anything they wanna do"
Old 04 Nov 2005, 10:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Um.. look in the thread on pulse rifles/carbines? http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=13234.0