Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Static Tau
Closed Thread
Old 04 Nov 2005, 06:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to zee666
Default Static Tau

I now know what a mech tau army is, but Ihave no clue what a static army is, so please a link or description would be helpful thank you.

Well people can't be per.. ooh look a penny.

No don't run, I just want to cut off your face.
Old 04 Nov 2005, 06:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG
Default Re: Static Tau

a static army is when most of ur troops aren't mounted in DF or have jetpacks... Static is the opposite of mech, which is mobile.

a hybrid army is a mix of the 2

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 04 Nov 2005, 10:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

By the strictest definition, a static army would have nothing but an ethereal, firewarriors, kroot, and broadsides, While a mechanized army would have none of these units, except the ethereal and firewarriors, which would be in devilfish. Anything in between these two extremes is hybrid. If you have a single crisis suit, you aren't really static. If you have a single unit that can't move 12" per turn, you aren't really mechanized.

In practice, though, armies that call themselves mechanized use kroot, while armies that call themselves static use hammerheads and crisis/stealth suits, possibly even drone squadrons, so the strict definition isn't very helpful.

The easiest way to tell the difference is to look at the fire warriors. If they all have devilfish, it's a mech army. If none of them do, it's a static army. If some do and some don't, it's hybrid.

As far as playing styles go, static armies emphasize firepower, but are easy to attack because they have multiple slow-moving units. Mech armies emphasize the 12" move and generally seek to avoid contact with the enemy unless they can focus the majority of their army against a small part of the enemy army. Mech armies are forced to do this because the points invested in mobility have to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is firepower.

Hybrid armies seek a balance between these two extremes. They seek enough mobility to move out and accomplish the mission without surrendering the firepower of the dismounted firewarrior. If the enemy sends 1/3 of his points to destroy the 1/4 worth of static tau, a hybrid army can focus its entire force against that 1/3 points. If the enemy instead focuses on the mobile portion of the hybrid army, the static portion gets to fire to 30" unmolested, while the mobile portion dances just out of reach of the enemy. If the enemy focuses everything against the static element, the mobile element can abandon them and go about achieving objectives or getting revenge by destroying isolated enemy positions.

While mech tau is much better than static tau, I believe a hybrid force will do better than both. Personally, I tend to have 1-2 static FW squads (and 1-2 mounted ones), 1 static pathfider squad, and a static ethereal. If too much is bearing down on my firebase, the ethereal can join the pathfinders and flee in their obligatory devilfish, leaving the enemy with 120-240 points to show for their battle plan. If I can't make up less than 250 points, I deserve to lose!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 04 Nov 2005, 13:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've always liked to use an analogy to emphasise the difference.* My favorite goes: Static is a sword - Mech is a dagger.* A sword relys on weight and power to hurt the enemy.* He doesn't necessarily have to penetrate the armor in a single weak spot he can overpower it with heavy strokes, often not subtle at all.* The Dagger relys on precision and a single thrust to penetrate armor, emphasis on finesse and speed.* Both are deadly but require different skill and sometimes even attitudes to use effectively.
Old 04 Nov 2005, 13:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Perhaps if you looked at some Static Tau Army Lists, you would understand what they are a little better. Enjoy!
Old 04 Nov 2005, 23:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawk
I've always liked to use an analogy to emphasise the difference. My favorite goes: Static is a sword - Mech is a dagger. A sword relys on weight and power to hurt the enemy. He doesn't necessarily have to penetrate the armor in a single weak spot he can overpower it with heavy strokes, often not subtle at all. The Dagger relys on precision and a single thrust to penetrate armor, emphasis on finesse and speed. Both are deadly but require different skill and sometimes even attitudes to use effectively.
Can I just say.. That's a great analogy in describing mech and static
Old 05 Nov 2005, 00:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I dunno...the analogy doesn't do it for me. There's a reason armies went to battle with swords and not daggers...

The key difference is really noted in unit costs. All other things being equal, units that can move quickly cost more than those that can't (whether the thing is slow, or doesn't want to move so it can shoot heavy weapons). Static lists try to capitalize on the shear volume of firepower you can get by buying cheaper, slower units. I can buy about 42 firewarriors for the same points cost as 24 firewarriors and devilfish (with accessories)...go that route with the entire list, and you can field some serious firepower.

The mech side sacrifices general firepower for mobility (and numbers, usually, as units tend to be more expensive). Using mobility, one can hopefully achieve local fire superiority by moving his units together to hit the enemy piecemeal. If the enemy is static, he will have a difficult time reacting to the mobile units' movement, and if he can't move his guns to the correct position to bear on the enemy, his extra units aren't participating in the battle.

With the new emphasis on missions and objectives in 4th edition, mobility is required in just about any serious list, but only one or two units....just enough to claim an objective or two. After that, the decision for static/mech depends more on the army/race being considered....some races (tyranids) just don't make a good static gunline!
Old 05 Nov 2005, 02:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to flowerfall

static tau are dead Tau, whilst there is a reason people took swords into battle instead of daggers. "bring a knife to a gunfight".. The only time i stay still is to make use of the rapid fire rule 2 shots up to maximum range if you don't move that turn. ONLY and I mean only if your gonna drop whatever is coming to get you.
Old 05 Nov 2005, 03:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerfall
static tau are dead Tau, whilst there is a reason people took swords into battle instead of daggers. "bring a knife to a gunfight".. The only time i stay still is to make use of the rapid fire rule 2 shots up to maximum range if you don't move that turn. ONLY and I mean only if your gonna drop whatever is coming to get you.
Well, yes....static Tau aren't competitive in a serious environment since 4th edition came along.

I think someone is confused here, because it sounds like you're rolling two shots for rapid fire weapons past 12" if they stand still.....it doesn't work that way. 1 shot at up to maximum range if you stand still or 2 shots at 12" or less regardless of whether you move.

If you already knew that, I apologize....your wording above confused me.
Old 05 Nov 2005, 03:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to flowerfall

wow, i read the book so wrong...thank you for that i could look a bit stupid taking that into more serious games i am playing amongst rookie friends too...i apologise too hell with my last post then. HAahhah i will be honest and admitt i made a mistake rather than say "oh yeah, I wrote it wrong you read it wrong hahahaha" thank you so much.
Closed Thread