Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2 Broadsides or a Hammerhead?
View Poll Results: Well, what should I get, 2 Broadsides or a Hammerhead?
2 Broadsides 16 36.36%
Hammerhead 28 63.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 03 Nov 2005, 22:59   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 2 Broadsides or a Hammerhead?

I have $80 USD and am goign to my local GW store this weekend, what should I buy, 2 Broadsides or a Hammerhead?
Old 03 Nov 2005, 23:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: 2 Broadsides or a Hammerhead?

Hammerhead! Unless you already have one or more of one/both of them, the HH is your best bet - much more mobile and survivable, and you have more say about the weapon loadout it carries.
Old 03 Nov 2005, 23:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Question: Do you have a large army or a small army as of right now?
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 03 Nov 2005, 23:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I always prefer the Hammerhead in any setup. Unless you have a very static army or a hybrid army with a large static element I would not suggest the broadside. Hammerheads are faster, usually more durable and used right can pack just as much or more punch.

It depends on your play style but I always prefer the Hammerhead. Besides the fear and trepidation opponents have when they see it is amusing to see, especially when its toting a Rail Gun.

Old 03 Nov 2005, 23:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

You don't need broadsides unless you either:

a) Already have a Hammerhead (Or two)
b) Face lots of things with armor of 13+
c) Really like Broadsides. I mean, a whole friggin lot.
Old 03 Nov 2005, 23:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hammerheads aren't really more durable. They seem like a crutch to me. They cost more relative to the firepower you get in return, can be shaken/stunned to infinity (remember, we don't have extra armor in the tau armory - any glance or penetrating hit usually says you cannot fire your railgun next turn)

Facts:
XV-88's are more accurate
They cannot move, but you can deploy them in a safe spot with line of sight to what generally will affect your army.

Hammerheads: More mobile, sure, but that usually means left to right.
They can blast groups of weaker troops.

Conclusion: If you need anti-tank, take two broadsides and put them in 4+ cover. Try to keep them away from lascannons and you're all set. Two twin-linked railguns is better than one that is less accurate, and cannot be shutdown by tank huntered' autocannons/missile launchers. If you routinely face armor and elites, the suits are the way to go. Weaker hordes should be dealt with the tank, but weaker hordes can be dealt with by any gun in our list. The railgun on a 150+ point tank seems like a tempo sink to me.

And if your army is tiny, I would reccomend the Tank.
Old 03 Nov 2005, 23:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I have to disagree with your facts. While the Hammerhead can get stunned and shaken the majority of weapons fielded wont be able to harm it, where massed small arms fire of the weakest kind can still kill broadsides. Plus anyone with a head on their shoulders is going to keep their tough stuff out of sight of the broadsides meaning they wont fire anyway.

Some disagree and say its easy to get LOS but every time I have seen broadsides fielded against anyone who is not a newb they have no LOS throughout most of the game if not all of it and are forced to spend a turn or two trying to move into new spots. That or indirect fire from a distance takes them down before the heavies even come rolling out. I find Hammerheads are far more adaptable to the situation and much more forgiving than the broadsides who are relatively stuck where they are deployed.

If you like putting in a Broadside or two can be usefull but if you have no heavies yet I would go for the Hammerhead, even if you have one already. Save the broadsides for latter, larger battles where there will be more chance of the enemy having to roll out into sight some time.

Old 03 Nov 2005, 23:41   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I generally lose my broadsides to deep-striking or infiltrating units. They usually don't die, but they will often be tied up for two or three turns. Hammerheads will never be tied up, and are generally a lot harder to get away from for fast armies. The other bonus of buying a Hammerhead is that you can build it to be converted between a battle-tank and a transport (Devilfish). Converting Broadsides to Crisis suits on the fly would be much more difficult. I would go for the tank unless you already have one or two.
Old 03 Nov 2005, 23:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Error #1
Who is letting "small arms fire" shoot a unit with infinite range?

Error #2
Anything worth shooting at with your broadside, is most likely very immobile - or large. Good luck hiding it. Put the suits down last, after your two hammerheads. You now can respond to 2-3 of their threats.

Error #3
Indirect fire will drop a hammerhead before a suit goes down. Defiler, Whirlwind, Basilisk, (Griffon!) rounds cannot dent 2+ armor. On the flip side, a hidden hammerhead on the first turn is *very* vulnerable to strength 8+ ordnance, with two dice to pick from for penetration. Boom Boom. A demolisher is bad news, but that isn't indirect and has range issues. Cover can solve some of those woes.

Error #4
"Tough stuff" most likely needs line of sight to do damage to you. Neither broadsides nor hammerheads can deal with hidden ordnance well. The vehicles will need to peak out to shoot.

You're welcome to disagree with me, but you're simply not correct here. Lose the crutch and play more games, you will find that broadsides bring a lot more to the table in certain areas.

Old 04 Nov 2005, 00:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i use teams of broad sides with 2sheild drones works a treat they are well protected. in comparision to hammerhead they rule interms of surivabitly. the hammer head manuavbilty makes it a good choice but the boardside is still a worthy option for the amount of fire power it can lay down
Closed Thread