Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Concerning Battle Report topics
View Poll Results: Would you like to see more battle reports in this board?
I don't care 34 94.44%
No 0 0%
I don't care 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 02 Nov 2005, 20:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon
Default Concerning Battle Report topics

Hi guys... I was thinking, How come I so rarely see a battle report here? It's one of the most entertaining things to read about, at least in my opinion. With the exception of a few members (vash113 springs to my mind), there are rarely anyone posting battle reports. I play a lot of border patrols myself (as we really enjoy that kinda game, and we need to build our armies a lot more before we can go at bigger battles).

When I was playing a couple of hours ago, I thought about it. This would make for an interesting read. What do you think? Am I the only one who wants to see more battle reports here? 'Cause if it were up to me, I'd like to see a lot more, and if you agree, I could at least start posting someone myself, and hopefully people would take the example.

State your opinion, and tell us why that's what you think.

~Olannon
Old 02 Nov 2005, 20:50   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Concerning Battle Report topics

I have a local tournament coming up this weekend, so I will try to get in one or two reports from it.* I generally just forget to keep good notes while I am playing.* A digital camera really helps in that regard.
Old 02 Nov 2005, 20:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

For the longest time, I wasn't able to play 40K, so I loved to read the battle reports to keep up on how things were going. I've started putting up battle reports with diagrams and such from all my games recently...should be a report this weekend on how my Tau do at this Saturday's 2000 point tournament. Probably won't be as detailed as my regular weekly reports, as I'll be focussing a bit more on winning, but at least I'll give the jist of all my battles.

I don't find pictures as useful as diagrams when describing the battle. A picture or two to show the table top and armies is nice and all, but simple diagrams are much better for showing relative position and such.
Old 02 Nov 2005, 22:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to [something clever]

I'd definately like to see more!

Battle reports are a great way to learn new tactics, especially for newbs like myself. Not only do they show you how effective most Tau units are, but they can also highlight some of the enemies we'll be up against and how to counter them.
Old 02 Nov 2005, 22:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Battle reports are always good...It gives insights to players and makes discussions about the "wouda-coulda-shoulda" stuff that we all love...
Old 02 Nov 2005, 23:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Hehe, yea I have been writing posting a lot of them recently. Nearly every battle I play gets a report.

I always like to see battle reports for the above posted reasons.

Personally I like writing them because it gives me further insight into my own tactics. As I review my memory on what happened I notice my mistakes and see possible ways to fix or counter them. Its easier to examine ones own decisions in introspection and also others insight can also be helpfull. It was through reading my own reports that I began to really form my strategies and get the feel for what my army was good at doing.

Ill try to make some diagrams or take pictures more often but usually thats not an option because of where I am or what Im doing.

Concerning how to write up battle reports I dont take notes but since I bend most of my focus on the movements of the battle its not too terribly hard to remember the basics of what happened. Notes are always a good idea though for writing good reports.

So yes I would deffinetly like to see more battle reports. They can be of any size it doesnt matter they are always fun to read and small battles can be just as hectic and furious as large engagements.

Old 03 Nov 2005, 00:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I've been forgetting to take down the information during games. Usually I remember during turn 5 or so. I wrote one battlereport and then stopped because of this.

Sorry! I'll get back to it.

(Ooh, Deja Vu!)
Old 03 Nov 2005, 03:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

i would defiantly like to see more reports. pictures aren't just nice, they are required. also, if anyone has flash on their computers, then a simple animated overview would be awesome. i am going to start animating my reports as soon as i get a few more models and can start playing some patrol missions.
Old 03 Nov 2005, 06:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Once I get my army completely put together (which should be soon, I just have to paint and assemble my interior-detailed DF for my PFs and everything's at least together) I plan on doing some mock battles against my own AC (I'll be playing both sides so I can get a better feel for my Tau before I get out against real opponents) and I plan to do some reports for that. So hopefully in a month or so (just in time for crappy weather!) I'll get some up!

I really think the mock battles will be good for me, as my Tau army has no railguns (just 2 rail rifles) so playing against my Armour I'll be able to gain tactics for defeating the armour. Of course, there will be the fact that I'll be able to counter myself perfectly, but meh.
Old 03 Nov 2005, 09:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Actually, recently I've seen a lot more battle reports posted here than before (bat-rep board anyone?). Though it isn't that obvious, maybe if people put [ Battle Report ] or something preceding the subject, it would help identify them. Just a suggestion.

Graphical battle reports are always nice (the very first one I remember being the one in my sig ). There have been many textual ones lately.. but it generally takes a fair bit of time to prepare all the text and images for a battle report, especially if you get input from all the players etc, instead of just the view of one player on a turn by turn basis.