Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Independent Character question
Closed Thread
Old 02 Nov 2005, 02:49   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Independent Character question

Okay, folks. This one popped up recently in a game between two friends and has an interesting possible application for those of us who play Tau. As most of you will agree, Tau should almost never take a retinue with our commanders, allowing them to use their IC status to full effect. Here's the question that came up:

If I have two ICs who are within 6" of each other, but are not close to anything else (say they're holding down the left flank by themselves while the rest of your army sweeps around to the right), then do they count as each other's 'friendly unit' for purposes of targetting? Can you target either of them, both of them or neither?

Like I said, the possibilities are... intriguing.

-Sightline
Old 02 Nov 2005, 02:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Independent Character question

No, they do not block shooting for each other as they are not friendly "units" but two Independant Characters. They must be within 6" of a friendly unit and not be the clossest to the enemy to be safe. Other Independant characters cannot protect them in such a way. So in this situation both ICs are possible targets. Whichever is closer gets shot at with no restrictions and the one farther back requires a leadership test to shoot at.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Old 02 Nov 2005, 04:54   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yes.* Thank you for the prompt response.

Okay.* I realize this might qualify as revitalizing a thread on it's way to the dead pile, but I have an additional question that has arisen during the discussion of the first one.

I can't seem to find where it states that an IC model is unable to be targetted if it's within 6" of a friendly unit.* Mainbook, page 51, Shooting at Characters, Sentence #3 places the only restrictions on shooting at IC models that I've been able to find.* If someone can point me towards the page where I can find the 6" rule, I'd appreciate it.* Otherwise, I think I might have been playing wrong up til now.

Old 02 Nov 2005, 04:59   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think Vash is using the 3rd Edition rules in this case.* The 6" distance for ICs is a relic of 3rd Edition. *The only thing that matters in 4th Edition is that ICs may not be targeted if they are not the closest target to the shooters. *That is all. They could be all off on their own in a corner with no friendlies around, but they can still only be targeted if they also happen to be the closest target to the firing enemy unit.

It should be noted here that the shooting at ICs rule does not refer to the closest enemy unit, but simply the closest target (page 51). *In the case Sightline described initially, where we have two ICs off on their own with no closer targets, only the IC closer to the firing unit may be targeted. *The further character may not be fired at at all.

Hope that helps. *It is a pretty significant change from 3rd edition.
Old 02 Nov 2005, 05:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I see, I appear to be incorrect. It would appear I actually still remember something from 3rd edition. My mistake.

In either case one IC is going to be shot at so I would not recomend doing such a thing.

Old 02 Nov 2005, 05:06   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
I see, I appear to be incorrect. It would appear I actually still remember something from 3rd edition. My mistake.

In either case one IC is going to be shot at so I would not recomend doing such a thing.
The 3rd Edition rule makes a lot more sense, all things considered. The only reason ICs are supposed to be protected is that it is hard to identify an individual enemy when there are a lot of other threats around. If the Independent Character is off in the middle of nowhere by himself, the rationale is a little strained.
Old 02 Nov 2005, 07:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
In either case one IC is going to be shot at so I would not recommend doing such a thing.
well, that depends methinks. If you're playing Tau, it's probably not too wise, but I can most definitely see the use of this rule with other armies, eg witch hunters (say you have a hero which has spent a faith-point to get that troublesome invulnerable save etc), daemonhunters, chaos.

Take the witch hunters example. You have a canoness and an inquisitor lord. Needless to say, you place the canoness in front. This forces the enemy to shoot at her and leave the inquisitor, yes? It may actually be a smart trick sometimes, but not with the Tau.

I think this topic deserves to be moved to general, as it's a general rules question, and source for discussion, not just by Tau players.

~Olannon
Closed Thread