Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

On Chaos and Ethereals
Closed Thread
Old 02 Nov 2005, 02:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,194
Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default On Chaos and Ethereals

Recently I decided to re-read the book Firewarrior. I find that it is a massively underrated book. Sure its not the best literature Ive ever read but as a source of insight into the Tau it is almost unparralelled. We have so little to chose from it cannot be ignored and it is official. So I earmarked everything I came across of major importance and am going to report my findings here.

Firstly on interbreeding something I find people suggesting far too much. Earth and Water caste mixing and all that. Some say that a particular line in Firewarrior suggests this, the line is as follows:

"The Fio'os back on T'au, preoccupied with 'optimum genetic compatibility' orchestrated inter-caste couplings without prejudice or emotion, but still... T'yra found himself musing enviously upon which lucky por'el male would discover his name beside that of El'Yis'ten on the summons form." Page 141.

Now I have looked up every deffinition of the prefix inter and find validations for meaning both between two seperate groups and between members of a single group. In the context here I believe that it is meant to imply that the Fio'os chose mating matches inside the castes, water with water and fire with fire, etc. Issolated the inter could be supposed to mean between castes but in the context of the rest of the passage it seems rather clear at least to me that the Tau do not mix castes but instead chose optimum genetic material for each caste seperately.

Secondly on the control of the Etherials, given several things I have read I now believe that the Etherials control is pheromone based or at least something very similar, sound, scent something along that line. Not psychic as some seem to think, that is still a possibility as there is no direct evidence either way but given some things in the book I am lead to the conclusion that it is largely a pheromone based thing. Here are the passages:

"The possibility of corrupting a high ranking Tau had been worth exploring at least, he reassured himself: that it had failed merely assured their utter annihilation, Chaos had little time for incorruptibility.
Pursing his lips thoughtfully, and absent-mindedly waving away an exotic scent that briefly teased against his nostrils, he glared at the alien and slipped his jeweled dagger from its scabbard." Page 363.

The important part is the exotic scent line. Kais during this part of the book is very close and somehow picks up that the Etherial is close by, slightly referencing a scent or feeling. This is not the most clear of things but my thoughts on this is that the Etherial is the source of the strange smell. Something that triggers a reaction in Kais and a strong one, even from a distance. The next one:

"The Aun closed his eyes and serenity enveloped Kais like a warm cloud, filling his mind with peace and purity and the glowing features of the etherial. Was there a taste, he wondered? A faint scent taste that rushed through his body like warm j'hal nectar, cleansing and purifying." Page 381.

This is much more plain, the Etherial gives Kais focus and banishes his fear and anger, thus removing the daemon whispers foothold over Kais. In this Kais registeres a scent in the air and correlates this with his refreshement and sudden clarity. This is a rather obvious suggestion of some sort of scent or pheromone base for the Etherials control over the Tau. It would also seem that Kovash released this scent on purpose so the Etherials must have some measure of control and its not entirely an automatic thing but can have varying levels. This again is just my take on the matter but this one seems much plainer.

Those are the two main passages suggesting a scent/pheromone basis for the Etherials influence on the Tau. There are several other semi noticeable parts that have some relevance to this earlier in the book but are really just precursers to this giving Kais a foundation and first experience. Nothing I came across offers another oppinion or is any plainer. Neither of these quotes entirely supports the idea but both suggest it one strongly, the other abstractly but they are the best examples from the book.

The next is the taintability of the Tau, a hot topic it would seem. The first passage that gives a whole lot of insight into this is this:

"The tau, by comparison, was an entirely dissapointing subject. Around his skull the energies seemed to boil and flex, hunting impotently for some foothold of emotion or excess with which to work. Impervious to psychic persuasion, a living embodiment of focus and calm, the etherial was proving to be a very difficult creature to corrupt. Severus rather suspected that, when he arrived, Tarkh'ax would deem the tau race unworthy of Chaos's more insiduous attentions and chose to obliterate them instead.
He shrugged mentally. At least he'd tried." Pages 340 and 341.

Kovash may be an extreme example but his defences are amazingly formidable. The high ranking human admiral fell in short order where Kovash no matter how battered and torn remained an iron wall against the intrusions of Chaos. If this is any indication even the most basic of Tau must have a formidable defence against chaos. Without the base desires of the humans and other races in the forefront of their lives the manipulations of chaos have little foot hold. The Tau are corruptible but if Kovash gives us any insight than it would take a long time and would not work on the Etherials or perhaps on the Tau population in general. The only Tau we see tainted was Kais and even then only temporarily. This was also only because of being in the shadow of his father and long hours of constant and horrific bloodshed and endless combat. This would wear down anyones mind and it is little wonder that Kais eventually cracked, it is surprising however that in one fell swoop his taint was removed which also goes to show how formidable the Tau are agaisnt chaos manipulations. This is also just my oppinion but this passage is pretty clear and though Kovash may be an exeptional case he is still a Tau and still an Etherial and this does give us some idea of what the Tau must be like.

Also this can go some way toward proving the purity of the Etherials for if they truly were manipulating the Tau and forcing them into subversion there would be something for Chaos to latch onto to taint them. Kovash is pure and strong of mind in focus and faith which only goes towards the credibility of the Auns even if it does not fully dispell such ideas. Next:

"Attempting to infiltrate Ko'vash's mind had been like waves breaking against a cliff. It would take centuries to wear him down. Ironic, then, that it would take just moments to wipe him away utterly. He raised the knife for a killing blow.... But the admiral had broken like dry wood and the etherial was a steel fortress." Page 378.

I took the liberty of cutting some bable from the center, not much but also not relative really. This just further backs up the oppinion above and gives another example of Kovash's steely resistance. It also goes to show that Chaos when faced with the Tau seems much more likely to simply destroy them than waste the time required to taint them. This is partially suggested above and further supported here. Lastly for this argument:

"The possibility of corrupting a high ranking Tau had been worth exploring at least, he reassured himself: that it had failed merely assured their utter annihilation, Chaos had little time for incorruptibility." Page 363.

This particular part of the passage I quoted earlier is yet another example of the position of Chaos to simply destroy the Tau and not even bother with further attempts to corrupt. This may not speak for chaos in general but the oppinion is one of a daemon of chaos undivided and this gives us some idea of what other chaos beings are going to do. Useless as tools the Tau will be targets for destruction.

Now all that about chaos is just my oppinion on these passages and of course I may be wrong but there is some stronge evidence to support the ideas I have put forth that also happen to make sense in combination with other 40k fluff.

Those are my findings from Firewarrior, there are many other references that say the same things more or less in the book but these are the ones I found to be of the greatest import and worth citing. Feel free to read Firewarrior and form your own oppinions on the matter I by no means wish to force these ideas on anyone but do wish to try and clarify some of the things in Firewarrior. Despite being a rather bad piece of literature Firewarrior is actually a good source of fluff on and insight into the Tau and I urge all Tau players to read it, borrow it from a friend, buy it, check it out from a library or whatever else. For Tau players it is still worth reading at least once in my oppinion.

The source for all this was of course the book Firewarrior by Simon Spurrier which is a novel on the plot from the game Firewarrior for the PS2 and PC.
__________________



Vash113 is offline  
Old 02 Nov 2005, 04:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 108
Send a message via AIM to [something clever]
Default Re: On Chaos and Etherials

I'm going to have to argue against this pheremone-based control argument. Not sure if/where it's been argued before but I'm gonna stick by the Codex.

I don't think I can quote it here but on Page 12, 5th paragraph is my argument. 14-16 lines in to be precise.
[something clever] is offline  
Old 02 Nov 2005, 04:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,194
Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: On Chaos and Etherials

Codex page 9 under the title of "The Etherials" it says the following:

"It is speculated that they exert some kind of pheromone based or latent psychic control over the other castes, as loyalty to the Etherials is absolute and unswerving."

So it is in the codex as Imperial speculation but it is in there.

Alternately the reference I think you are talking about on page 12 is this:

"Droaken joked that they were as faithful to the Kroot as we are to the Ethereal ones. I chided him that there was more to our devotion than simple reaction to exuded chemical odours. The very thought!"

Of course this is the thought of a single Tau and may or may not be correct. Also it says there is more to their devotion, which can imply that there is more than a chemical reaction but there is still some sort of chemical... well reaction.

The codex is very unclear on the subject and gives numerous hypothesis and possibilities. Firewarrior is the first thing that starts to give any real evidence. So the codex has some support for the Pheromone argument and little that directly contradicts it.
__________________



Vash113 is offline  
Old 02 Nov 2005, 12:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sayville, NY
Posts: 722
Send a message via AIM to xShaperx
Default Re: On Chaos and Etherials

I don't trust the Ethereals. They appeared out of no-where and took total control over the Tau. I don't have the codex handy but I believe it reads 'any Tau would take his or her own life without question if an Ethereal demanded it'.

That's why I support Farsight and other rogue commanders. But yeah.....Tau are completely non-psychic so the latent power is out the window...pheramones, ehh....maybe.
__________________
I love the smell of promethium in the morning

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline  
Old 02 Nov 2005, 12:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 150
Default Re: On Chaos and Etherials

Quote:
I don't trust the Ethereals. They appeared out of no-where and took total control over the Tau.
And incidentally preventing them for warring into extinction.
Falkus is offline  
Old 02 Nov 2005, 14:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kansas City Misouri
Posts: 174
Default Re: On Chaos and Etherials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Alternately the reference I think you are talking about on page 12 is this:


"Droaken joked that they were as faithful to the Kroot as we are to the Ethereal ones. I chided him that there was more to our devotion than simple reaction to exuded chemical odours. The very thought!"

Of course this is the thought of a single Tau and may or may not be correct. Also it says there is more to their devotion, which can imply that there is more than a chemical reaction but there is still some sort of chemical... well reaction.

The codex is very unclear on the subject and gives numerous hypothesis and possibilities. Firewarrior is the first thing that starts to give any real evidence. So the codex has some support for the Pheromone argument and little that directly contradicts it.
I believe the quotation in quest is an attempt on the GW staff to be funny and ironic. Of course the Tau population don't believe their control is pheremone based. They have "Faith". The original control may have been based on pheremones, but a large part of their control now is societal and governmental. Tradition and faith can be powerful forces.
__________________
Now is the time for all good Tau to come to the aid of the Greater Good.
FireHawk is offline  
Old 02 Nov 2005, 15:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Verbier, Switzerland
Posts: 829
Send a message via MSN to PrdiG
Default Re: On Chaos and Etherials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Alternately the reference I think you are talking about on page 12 is this:


"Droaken joked that they were as faithful to the Kroot as we are to the Ethereal ones. I chided him that there was more to our devotion than simple reaction to exuded chemical odours. The very thought!"

Of course this is the thought of a single Tau and may or may not be correct. Also it says there is more to their devotion, which can imply that there is more than a chemical reaction but there is still some sort of chemical... well reaction.

The codex is very unclear on the subject and gives numerous hypothesis and possibilities. Firewarrior is the first thing that starts to give any real evidence. So the codex has some support for the Pheromone argument and little that directly contradicts it.
I believe the quotation in quest is an attempt on the GW staff to be funny and ironic.* Of course the Tau population don't believe their control is pheremone based.* They have "Faith".* The original control may have been based on pheremones, but a large part of their control now is societal and governmental.* Tradition and faith can be powerful forces.
It might also be that they are controlld with pheremones, however, they wouldn't know about it and never would accept it even if it was proven to them... They would pefer to believe that it is their faith wich guides them and not some reaction towards cetain chemicals
__________________
quoted from an HH pilot: "I get hammered at work!"

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
PrdiG is offline  
Old 02 Nov 2005, 17:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York city
Posts: 1,646
Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Re: On Chaos and Ethereals

Of course, the Fire Warrior novel also says that Tau blood is cyan, which directly contradicts the codex. It also says that (imperial) plasma is purple.(?!)
DireStrike is offline  
Old 02 Nov 2005, 17:53   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: up nord where it snows like a jamaican with dandruff(mn, us)
Posts: 86
Send a message via AIM to j1m7 Send a message via MSN to j1m7
Default Re: On Chaos and Ethereals

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike
Of course, the Fire Warrior novel also says that Tau blood is cyan, which directly contradicts the codex. It also says that (imperial) plasma is purple.(?!)
i agree.* on the "Evil Tau?" post, there was a lot of talk about how the codex and Fire Warrior contradict, and it is up to us to really figure what is going on.* after all, do you want your information from a group that thinks that if you kick a tank, the "machine-spirit" will get mad and not work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Alternately the reference I think you are talking about on page 12 is this:


"Droaken joked that they were as faithful to the Kroot as we are to the Ethereal ones. I chided him that there was more to our devotion than simple reaction to exuded chemical odours. The very thought!"

Of course this is the thought of a single Tau and may or may not be correct. Also it says there is more to their devotion, which can imply that there is more than a chemical reaction but there is still some sort of chemical... well reaction.

The codex is very unclear on the subject and gives numerous hypothesis and possibilities. Firewarrior is the first thing that starts to give any real evidence. So the codex has some support for the Pheromone argument and little that directly contradicts it.
I believe the quotation in quest is an attempt on the GW staff to be funny and ironic.* Of course the Tau population don't believe their control is pheremone based.* They have "Faith".* The original control may have been based on pheremones, but a large part of their control now is societal and governmental.* Tradition and faith can be powerful forces.
i agree, that is why Jeferson made seperation of church and state.* that is why the emperor doens't allow IG to have ships, to force the two to work together.* look now, neither IG or the Fleet want to hurt eachother.*

oh and one more thing. we can quote a book but not points cost??? WTF?
__________________
"Maybe we should negotiate with the enemy. what did you say his name was? Aba...Abadonia...Abadon, that's it!"
---Unkown Water Caste Member
Copyright infringement, pah. i'll pay the $20 to Gw for saying the ponts. i will not, however, be kicked off the forums.
j1m7 is offline  
Old 02 Nov 2005, 17:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,194
Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: On Chaos and Ethereals

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike
Of course, the Fire Warrior novel also says that Tau blood is cyan, which directly contradicts the codex. It also says that (imperial) plasma is purple.(?!)

I may be wrong but I cannot remember anything about purple plasma though that may have been during the attack on the Tau bridge or the tech priests in the engine bay, Ill have to review that. The game had it as blue. But in any case who is to say plasma cant be purple, Ive seen 40k fluff to suggest its blue and to suggest its green.

Despite some minor infractions the book stays remarkably in line with 40k fluff (compared to others Ive read) and we have little to contradict it.

Also where does it say what color Tau blood is in the codex? Their skin is a blue/grey so perhaps their blood is cyan. Point it out in the codex and Ill take a look. It might just be one of the minor things I have forgotten since reading the codex cover to cover last.
__________________



Vash113 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Ethereals lonely tau Showcase 15 13 Jul 2008 07:42
Ethereals? Really that useful? axel slice Tau 18 12 Apr 2006 02:59
Do you actually use ethereals Elessar Tau 14 06 Oct 2005 01:08
where do ethereals come from? swimmerdude116 Tau 15 29 May 2005 07:11
Are Ethereals Useful Mr.Spock411 Tau 71 21 Feb 2005 06:41