Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Grenades
Closed Thread
Old 01 Nov 2005, 21:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tau Grenades

Photon and EMP Grenades are often neglected because of they being too expensive for their worth (EMP) or being nearly useless (Photons). Has anyone found a real use for these grenades, or should they be changed a little in the new Codex?

Personally, I think these changes should happen.

1. To fire grenades on the Pulse Carbine, you must be carrying the grenades.

2. You may fit Photons or EMP Grenades from a Pulse Carbine. It would have the effects of the grenade with the Pulse Rifle-ish fire.

3. Lower the EMP Grenade cost to 2 points.

4. Make it so any enemy models assaulting someone with a Photon Grenade must take a pinning test instead of the useless effect of the Photons right now.

5. Allow Stealthsuits to have them...somehow, even if it is a little launcher. They would be good tank-hunting squads with Jetpacks and Infiltrate.

6. Add more grenade types.

7. Make this drone.

Grenadier Drone
Wargear
Points WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
Grenadier Drone 16 2 2 3 3 1 4 1 7 4+

Weapons: Twin-Linked Pulse Carbine, Photon Grenades, EMP Grenades

Special Rules:
Jetpack: They have a Tau Jetpack.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 01 Nov 2005, 22:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Tau Grenades

I'd agree that currently, grenades aren't worth taking. I don't think pinning is really worth worrying about now, although rumors are flying that markerlights may decrease a targetted unit's leadership...if that turns out to be true, pinning may become viable again.

Either way, I'd like to see something more useful to the carbine's grenade launcher. I don't think the squad should pay for the grenade upgrade so the carbine-armed models can shoot them...usually there is a difference in grenade types, and the guy with the grenade launcher carries the special type for his weapon. If you give a boost to the grenade launcher on the carbine, just assign a cost to assigning carbines to the squad like a regular special weapon.

The drone looks ok, but I don't think they'll be including many more drone types...I think GW will want to keep it simple with only a few simple types.
Old 01 Nov 2005, 22:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

I don't really know about the drone, but making it so that photon grenades must be equipped to use the launcher while simultaneously making the emp 2 points sounds reasonable to me. *Nobody uses the emp grenades because
1) they're expensive
2) you need to assault to use them
3) other units get the job done more reliably.

I like what you've done.... but I doubt GW will do anything with the grenades. *
Old 01 Nov 2005, 22:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666

personally i do take phton grenades. mainly because most of my friends armies are relatively fast colse combat armies or just overpowering (dark eldar mandrakes are just plain evil) so i take phton grenades to help lessen the risk a little.

face it, 10 attacks is so much better to face than 20.
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
Old 01 Nov 2005, 22:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE666
personally i do take phton grenades. mainly because most of my friends armies are relatively fast colse combat armies or just overpowering (dark eldar mandrakes are just plain evil) so i take phton grenades to help lessen the risk a little.

face it, 10 attacks is so much better to face than 20.
I take photons for the same reason... I find it makes the difference between loosing a CC and losing a whole squad

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 01 Nov 2005, 23:04   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Or perhaps allow units with photon grenades the ability to not be sweeping advanced. ;D SP
Old 01 Nov 2005, 23:29   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I had a thought on this, actually.* Perhaps a good approach would be to effect the way enemies are able to close with the unit in the assault phase.* Perhaps the chargers count as moving through difficult terrain?* This would mean that charges from the outside edge of an enemy's range would be less effective (which makes sense given what the grenades actually do).

I do use EMP grenades from time to time, but usually only on small Gue'Vesa teams.
Old 02 Nov 2005, 04:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

I disagree with some of this. I don't think you should have to buy the grenade types for the carbine, it's a good enough weapon with the pinning, and I'd rather just switch than switch+pay extra....as for the making the grenades acctual grenades when launched.....idk. It would be pointless, the photon grenade is just a flashbang, it would have no effect other than what it does right now. And emp grenades.....that would be like "you launch the emp. it lands at the guardsman's feet. he uses it as a powerpack for his flashlight." EMPs would be ineffective against everything besides Necron. Lol. And as for launching them at the side of a tank......c'mon, Tau have enough shit to do that without wasting a FW squads shooting phase.

Stealth suits are infantry flankers. Vehicle hunting is left to the other units. Think Eldar, being that the two races are similar. The eldar wouldn't send a guardian squad to take out enemy armor, they'd send fire dragons. No need to make everything a jack-of-all-trades.

Lastly, they shouldn't make more grenade types because by the time you need to use the Photons to deny enemies 1 attack per model in a charge, you're effed anyway. Tau should be given customization for the FW units, like special or heavy weapons, or some new wargear options.....but not grenades.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
Old 02 Nov 2005, 19:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShaperx
The eldar wouldn't send a guardian squad to take out enemy armor, they'd send fire dragons. No need to make everything a jack-of-all-trades.
what? haywire and heavy wepoans make a guardain squad quite dangerous
Old 02 Nov 2005, 21:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

I'm saying that most armies have certain units specialized for taking out other sorts of things. And I garuntee you, Fire Dragons are 2309653709867894067 more adept for tank busting than a squad of Guardians with grenades.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
Closed Thread