Warhammer 40K Forum

Leadership for mixed units?
Closed Thread
Old 01 Nov 2005, 06:15   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Leadership for mixed units?

Is this true,
Quote:
...Still I find that Crisis suits in any configuration work well with at least one squadron of drones. The drones shield the suits, forcing anyone shooting at the suits to pass a leadership test, plus the possibility of pinning.
When an enemy shoots into a mix of Crisis and drones, they have to pass a leadership test?
If so does that rule apply for every squad that has Drones mixed into it?
That being the case does it extend into other armies, like with Scarabs, or Rippers, or Daemons?
Old 01 Nov 2005, 06:19   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Leadership for mixed units?

No.* That was just a slightly confusing way of wording the normal rules.* What is meant there is that a separate unit of drones in front of the battlesuits will force the enemy to pass a leadership test to target the more distant unit under normal target priority rules.* That is all.* If the drones were actually part of the unit, no test would be required to shoot at them (as long as the mixed unit was the closest target, of course).* The mention of pinning just refers to the ability of the drones to inflict pinning test with their carbines.* It has nothing to do with units shooting at them.* I hope that clears it up!* *
Old 01 Nov 2005, 07:14   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Sure does, but real quick. If I have three Crisis and two Drones in a squad majority toughness and save is 4 and 3+ correct?
And if I had three Crisis and four Drones majority toughness is 2 and maj. save is 5+?
Old 01 Nov 2005, 07:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG

what if u have two seperate squads (ie: Shas'o and drone squad) and the independant character joins the drones. If the drones are infront of him but he's still part of the squad, do the enemy have to take a leadership test to hit him???

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 01 Nov 2005, 07:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrdiG
what if u have two seperate squads (ie: Shas'o and drone squad) and the independant character joins the drones. If the drones are infront of him but he's still part of the squad, do the enemy have to take a leadership test to hit him???
If he is part of the squad, enemy can shoot that squad and if they get enough wounds some are distriputed to commander.

On the other hand, if he was alone behind the drones, he couldnīt be shot at since he is IC and is not the closest target.
Old 01 Nov 2005, 07:32   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlus
Sure does, but real quick. If I have three Crisis and two Drones in a squad majority toughness and save is 4 and 3+ correct?
And if I had three Crisis and four Drones majority toughness is 2 and maj. save is 5+?
Check your stats on the Drones first (their toughness and armor are better than that), but remember that toughness and armor in mixed units work differently.* Toughness uses the majority value for the, so in the second case any incoming fire from an enemy unit would be tested against the Drone's toughness (even if it is the Battlesuits who are wounded), and the Battlesuits' toughness would be used in your first case (even if it is the drones who are wounded).

Armor works differently, using the "mixed armor" rules.* Mixed armor only determines the order in which you make saves.* If Crisis suits (3+) are in the majority, at least one hit must go to each Crisis suit before any go to the drones.* If drones are in the majority (4+), at least one hit must go to each of the drones before any go to the battlesuits.* In all cases, a model still makes their armor save using their own armor value, not the majority value for the squad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrdiG
what if u have two separate squads (ie: Shas'o and drone squad) and the independent character joins the drones. If the drones are in front of him but he's still part of the squad, do the enemy have to take a leadership test to hit him???
No.* You can never target an Independent Character outside of a unit if he is not the closest target.* If he joins a squadron of drones, he counts as part of that unit, and may not be picked out as a separate target (whether he is the closest model or not).* So the enemy can't hit him anyway.
Old 01 Nov 2005, 12:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG

OK... thanx for the info

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 01 Nov 2005, 14:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
No.* You can never target an Independent Character outside of a unit if he is not the closest target.* If he joins a squadron of drones, he counts as part of that unit, and may not be picked out as a separate target (whether he is the closest model or not).* So the enemy can't hit him anyway.
They can't target him, He can be hit however if they apply enough firepower to the squad.
Old 01 Nov 2005, 14:47   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawk

They can't target him, He can be hit however if they apply enough firepower to the squad.
That is a good point. In general, keeping him behind the squadron is better protection than having him join it.
Old 05 Nov 2005, 00:27   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Check your stats on the Drones first (their toughness and armor are better than that), but remember that toughness and armor in mixed units work differently.* Toughness uses the majority value for the, so in the second case any incoming fire from an enemy unit would be tested against the Drone's toughness (even if it is the Battlesuits who are wounded), and the Battlesuits' toughness would be used in your first case (even if it is the drones who are wounded).

Armor works differently, using the "mixed armor" rules.* Mixed armor only determines the order in which you make saves.* If Crisis suits (3+) are in the majority, at least one hit must go to each Crisis suit before any go to the drones.* If drones are in the majority (4+), at least one hit must go to each of the drones before any go to the battlesuits.* In all cases, a model still makes their armor save using their own armor value, not the majority value for the squad.
Thanks for the clear up, I didn't have the Codex in front of me at the time.

Oh, I thought that Drones always go down first, reguardless of Maj. Save or Toughness. At least fluff wise it seems to work like that.
Closed Thread